MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:33 AM   #61
keale
Babbling Farker

Awesome! so does your fire basket rest on the 3 pipe nipples? If so, is that sufficient room for the ash? or does your basket rest on bolts?
You think a ball valve would work on the vertical air intake? I like the magnet idea, cheaper that a 1 in. valve!

Hey! I'm a full fledged farker! I hope thats good!!!??? or does that mean I have too much time on my hands??
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #62
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Bottoms Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post
N8, that's one fine lookin' rig ya got there buddy.

- Did that drum come with a sealed lid rather than removable? If so, how'd you get it off and get the edge of the lid so nice?

- What's with all the geometry on the lid? Doesn't look like you drilled any holes in the lid...

I really like your magnetic vent damper. Pretty savvy piece of engineering.
Thank you very much... This drum is an opened lid variety with a removable top.
In the picture of the build with the layout lines the drum is actually upside down. divided-circle.jpgI layed out the geometry on my computer for even placement of all the holes that I needed or thought I may need. I printed out the file and trimmed the paper to fit the bottom of the barrel. From there I made sure it was level and using a string with a weight attached I aligned the string to match the layout lines.drum_string.jpg I measured and marked upon the string the location of the hole to be drilled and transfered that to the drum itself.
Then, move string to next alignment, mark drum, etc.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #63
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Burn Baby Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I was assuming you guys were doing some kind of a burn to get rid of the factory paint....how long does that take? Did you consider a weed burner?
I acquired three huge wooden freight pallets from work and broke them down.
I did a total of three burns in the barrel. Filled it to the top with wood each time and let it burn down half way before refueling. I did this when the temps were 95 degrees outside....Man!!! That was one long hot day...

Old 06-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #64
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Details revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keale View Post
Awesome! so does your fire basket rest on the 3 pipe nipples? If so, is that sufficient room for the ash? or does your basket rest on bolts?
You think a ball valve would work on the vertical air intake? I like the magnet idea, cheaper that a 1 in. valve!

Hey! I'm a full fledged farker! I hope thats good!!!??? or does that mean I have too much time on my hands??
Keale, I really liked the way you cut a section of one barrel and attached
it to the other to increase the height...did that work out well for you?
I got two sections of 12 x 24 expanded metal at HD and bent, then bolted
the two halves together.Basket_detail.jpg At the bottom of the basket I placed my bolts 2.25" from the bottom and rested the charcoal grate from my Weber upon them. This then sets in the drum right on the bottom....on my last cook there may have been about 1" of ash on the bottom...plenty of room for air..I am looking for something to use as an ash pan to ease in clean up.
I aspire to be a farker!!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #65
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
Thought ya'll might like to see the build
Attachment 8249Attachment 8245Attachment 8244
Attachment 8243Attachment 8242
Once it was wired brushed and shot with paint I laid out the hole placement
Attachment 8246Attachment 8247Attachment 8248
After I holesawed and drilled holes with a stepbit I went on to the basket
Attachment 8240Attachment 8239Attachment 8238
Barrel Complete!!!
Attachment 8241
How did you bend the expanded metal into a nice round circle? Did you wrap it around a 5 gal. bucket or something?
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #66
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge Fan View Post
How did you bend the expanded metal into a nice round circle? Did you wrap it around a 5 gal. bucket or something?
First I got some c-clamps and some old shelving and sandwiched the
metal on top of my work table and measured for the first bend
bask_measr.jpgbask_clamp.jpg
Wearing heavy work gloves I bent down the metal and guessed at the angle
then reset for each bend after using the same measurement.
It only appears to be a nice round shape but is rather a series of bends
bask_illus.jpg
Once the ends were bolted together I layed it on the floor and
used a little friendly persuasion to conform into shape

Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #67
Grillman40
Full Fledged Farker

OK...Now I'm feelin farkin a bit slow. I didnt even think about just burnin da fark out of my drum to get the paint off. I lined up a guy to sand blast it for me. My wife says slowness brings out the brokeness in me!!

Thanks for the pics brother!!

Lang 84 Deluxe w/drum grill addition
WSM
Bar-B-Chef Grill
Stainless Bar-B-Chef built in
Stainless Gran Turbo Gasser built in
86 Gal Monster Drum in da works

Retired U.S. Marine
Grillman40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #68
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Great Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillman40 View Post
OK...Now I'm feelin farkin a bit slow. I didnt even think about just burnin da fark out of my drum to get the paint off. I lined up a guy to sand blast it for me. My wife says slowness brings out the brokeness in me!!

Thanks for the pics brother!!
There had been near drought conditions here for the last month and a half.
The ground was dust dry and I was concerned about the burn out. So we called for prices of sandblasting my drums, I had gotten three drums and thought to do it all at the same time. Guy on phone says $125.00 an hour, two hours to do the job and I politely thanked him for his time and hung up!!!! Rained the next week for three days...I was in the yard that weekend firing it up!!!!

Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #69
Thawley
Take a breath!

Pretty tiddy looking fire basket you got there.

Where did you buy the grate on the bottom of the basket and your main cook grill? Are there generic grates at places like Walmart etc, or are folks using replacement parts from specialty shops like BBQs Galore? Seems like there might be a vast price difference...

N8's $60 build price has become a target for my new obsession.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #70
N8man
Babbling Farker

Default Your Mileage May Vary

Quote:

Where did you buy the grate on the bottom of the basket and your main cook grill? Are there generic grates at places like Walmart etc, or are folks using replacement parts from specialty shops like BBQs Galore? Seems like there might be a vast price difference...

I'm using my Weber charcoal grate in the basket right now. I think at
Home Depot the charcoal grate runs about $16.00 and the 22.5" cooking grate around $18.00. I've rechecked the numbers and total cost for the build is closer to $80.00....I'm sorry but when I posted the $60.00 amount I forgot to include the 2" exhaust pipe and elbow fitting and a few more stainless bolts, nuts and washers.....my mistake

Old 06-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #71
Scrooge Fan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I saw a 22 1/2 inch grill (grate? The thing you put the food on) that would fit a Weber (or a drum) for about $6 at Menards. It was enamel-coated and not very heavy-duty. But for $6 you use it, abuse it, and replace it. A heavy-duty Weber replacement is closer to $16 or so.
Scrooge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #72
keale
Babbling Farker

Thanks N8Man, so in essence the other 2 pipe nipples are "just in case" and that the air intake pipe is more than enough air?

The add on to my barrel worked great, I now have a Weber cover (immitation), Since you know how to get the cover off, on that attachemt I made you can add another cooking grate, and get a total of 3 racks on this..."MO POWER"
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #73
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
My daddy took a look at it and asked what kind
of fancy corn squeezin' I was fixin' to make?
Back when I lived in Fayetteville, I sampled some fine product from your part of the state. I never knew who made it, and I don't want to

Nice work on the cooker!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #74
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Thumbs up

i must have one of those! great job with the template on the computer
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #75
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Thank you very much... This drum is an opened lid variety with a removable top.
In the picture of the build with the layout lines the drum is actually upside down. Attachment 8282I layed out the geometry on my computer for even placement of all the holes that I needed or thought I may need. I printed out the file and trimmed the paper to fit the bottom of the barrel. From there I made sure it was level and using a string with a weight attached I aligned the string to match the layout lines.Attachment 8283 I measured and marked upon the string the location of the hole to be drilled and transfered that to the drum itself.
Then, move string to next alignment, mark drum, etc.
That is a spiffy layout. The template would be idiot proof. At work we figure arc length on the outside diameter. Knowing that 8 holes evenly spaced in a circle will fall at 45° to each other, and working (for example) with a 24" diameter circle, each degree will equal .209". 45° will equal 9.42" measured on the outside diameter. Starting anywhere, we layout 7 locations at 9.42" apart. Then we snap a line from the center point of the circle to each of the 8 marks on the outside diameter. I like your idea better.

The engineers I work with have that information on the computer, it just never makes it into a template. The bad part is the young guys on the shop floor don't know there are 360 degrees in a circle and don't know what those little lines on a tape measure are.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
layout template, ugly drum smoker