MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #61
Piedmont
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Another approach to coal/ash access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
I try not to tend. If themps are hanging between 225 and 235 (like they usually do) I don't open the lid. At about 2.5 hours I'll check to see if they have pulled back. I'll check every half hour until they are ready to foil.

The mods I am thinking of making are putting wheels on it, having the holes drilled instead of burned thru and putting pipe fittings or something like that in there that is easier to close off, working out some type of hook system to raise the ash pan out of the cooker instead of reaching down into the barrel.
I have two suggestions for the ash pan/coal pan, cut out the bottom of the drum except cut about 1 inch away from the edge, then take a second drum, cut it off just below the lowest ring so that you have a squat drum that is completely open at the top, set the first drum on top of the squat drum (lower squat drum holds coals/ash) and you can than remove the top cooker at any time to have full access to the coals. Make sure the lower/squat drum is cut square so that it will seal as the top drum rests upon it.

Or, Using a second drum cut a door that is 1/2 larger than the opening, fasten on hinges then, make a seal with silicon around edge of door, then get a pull - latch to hold the door tight.

Regards,
Piedmont
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #62
Piedmont
Knows what a fatty is.

Default How much briquettes are used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery
Talk to Big Mista You dont need the door The fire will last 16 hours if built right
How much briquettes are used for 16 hour burn? and, anyone figured out briquette amounts for 3 and 6 hour burn?

Regards,

Piedmont

Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #63
Piedmont
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Coated drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204
Well, I think this going down as a failure. As I said, the drum was used to hold apple juice concentrate. Whatever they used to coat the inside of the drum is putting off a funky smell.

Not gonna que in that.
It sounds like it is a standard steel drum but has a plastic coating to keep it from rusting from the acid in the apple juice and to keep the juice from tasting like rust. Burn it good and hot and you should burn off the plastic coating then you'll be fine! Any thing that is carbon based such as plastic will smply turn to carbon if burned good, just don't stand around and sniff the fumes while it burns off!!!

Regards,
Piedmont

Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #64
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont
How much briquettes are used for 16 hour burn? and, anyone figured out briquette amounts for 3 and 6 hour burn?

Regards,

Piedmont
Round about 10lbs. Like I said I usually end up closing all of the holes and smothering the the fire. I've never burned all the way thru the coals.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #65
thillin

Quote:
Now if I can just find a webber lid.
If you don't need a dome lid, check a restaurant supply. They sell pretty big flat lids. Or keep checking craigs list.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #66
Bigmista

You only need the weber lid if you are cooking turkeys, whole chickens or really tall ribs in a rack.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #67
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Piedmont, thanks for the suggestions, but you are rapidly exceeding my metal working skills!

Yep, once I burned away that plastic coating, it was fine. It was a little discouraging at first, but the swamp, thom and mister encouraged me to continue and I am glad I did.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #68
Norcoredneck

Here are pics. of my fire ring

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #69
Bigmista

Interesting! Why did you go with taller and less wide?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 01-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #70
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

He was inspired by Abe Lincoln!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #71
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Mista, do you use charcoal or lump. At the 9.5 hour mark, my temps just plummeted. I was cruising along at 235 then it dropped to 218 then 208 then 195 all within about 5 minutes.

The ash was choking out the fire. I had to take out the food and clean off the coals and it climbed back up to 230 pretty quickly. I was using Royal Oak.

I was thinking about using some lump, but all that is available here is Cowboy and mesquite lump. And personally, I dont like mesquite. I know you and others do.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #72
Bigmista

Quote:
Mista, do you use charcoal or lump. At the 9.5 hour mark, my temps just plummeted. I was cruising along at 235 then it dropped to 218 then 208 then 195 all within about 5 minutes.

The ash was choking out the fire. I had to take out the food and clean off the coals and it climbed back up to 230 pretty quickly. I was using Royal Oak.

I was thinking about using some lump, but all that is available here is Cowboy and mesquite lump. And personally, I dont like mesquite. I know you and others do.
I use the mesquite lump. i guess that might be the only time the door really comes in handy. I can reach in and shake the charcoal basket so the ash will fall without moving the grates.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 PM   #73
Norcoredneck

Mista, ring is 9" tall because material I had was that and I was lazy that day. Went narrow on flat part again because of scrap. Works out because long side centers in barrel short side clears thermometer sticking in side. Going to work on lift out charcoal pan like Mistas. Feeling old these days and tipping drum into trash can is sort of pain.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #74
Norcoredneck

[quote=jgh1204]The ash was choking out the fire. I had to take out the food and clean off the coals and it climbed back up to 230 pretty quickly. I was using Royal Oak.quote]

Back in past thread Thirdeye posted a set of jiggler hooks he made to shake the basket in his original BDS.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #75
bbqjoe
Banned

My very first smoker was a trash can, experiment, experiment
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker