MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #31
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204

The fire got real hot and was shooting up almost a foot past the top of the barrel. The rest of the green disappeared. The bottom 2/3rds of the barrel is burnt orange(may have to give this to Jorge if the color does not improve.)

One interesting thing I learned. When you spit on the side of a orange hot barrel, your spit does not sizzle on the side. It bounces off. Pretty cool.

So there is a new saying. Spit bouncing hot.

If you were a real man you'd find another way to cool that thing off

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #32
swamprb

It's starting to sound like my old earthenware Kamado-it went from green to orange before I rebuilt it! The BFarkinDS has cruised for 11 hours at 275* now, Lazarri Mesquite lump!
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #33
Norcoredneck

Jgh,
Gather as much info as you can and build your dream. Show your wife this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=bds

My wife rolled her eyes when I started gathering parts for mine. When she tasted the goods she had a change of heart. I actually heard her bragging about "our new smoker".

Read the description of the BDS. lots of good info. I cooked the butts on mine with 1 load of 12# of kingsford. I still had time to cook when meat was done. Also keep in mind the I live off interstate 15 where the semi trucks blow over and the wind was so strong that day it blew all the potted plants and trees over on my patio. I have wheels on mine and I had to chock them because it was rolling away and I held 220-250 deg.
I prommissed to make up a word document on my build but have family emergency and not able to get to my tools to measure hole size I used for fittings(see pics.). The holes in top are 8 1/2" holes. Do yourself a favor and get a step drill to make holes. If you ever drilled thin material you know the holes are not round but will be with a step drill.

My costco had them as a set. Little bit of money but they come in handy.

To answer other questions from the other thread. I have no door, I was waiting to see If I needed one. I loaded up on coal, lit, then threw on hickory chunks, Seemed to be a good combo. I have to dump mine out. Plan to make a scoop like Thirdeye did, pretty cool. I think the most difficult part of my build was the charcoal basket. Here is where I got my nickname "Norcoredneck" by my friends for my hillbilly engineering. I got a log (stump) about 13" in diameter. I got a piece of expanded metal 9 in"X43" I think. (circumference + 2" overlap) I used drywall screws and washers and screwed 9" width to log. I rolled log and tack welded when it overlapped. Remove log - ! ring. I used a piece of expanded metal and used 2 10" pieces of 1X2" tubing for standoffs and tacked it to ring.

Hope that makes sense.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 01-14-2007 at 03:03 AM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #34
Norcoredneck

Default Food for thought.

Looking at Mistas fire ring I would venture to guess he took 30 gallon drum and sliced it kept bottom for pan and slice with expanded metal for basket. This is good because it accomplished his need for emptying ash. Plus it probably provides more even heat due to fire diameter than mine. 12# of charcoal in a 13" ring stacks about 6-7 inches. In a 30 gallon drum it is lower. If it is ideal to keep 24" between coals and grill it would give more room for 2nd grill.

Mista, keep track of my ramblings and when we build the envy of barrel smokers we can use the ideas or laugh at my delirium. I think I need to wash my hands after giving the old man his Mophine

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #35
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Looking at Mistas fire ring I would venture to guess he took 30 gallon drum and sliced it kept bottom for pan and slice with expanded metal for basket. This is good because it accomplished his need for emptying ash. Plus it probably provides more even heat due to fire diameter than mine. 12# of charcoal in a 13" ring stacks about 6-7 inches. In a 30 gallon drum it is lower. If it is ideal to keep 24" between coals and grill it would give more room for 2nd grill.

Mista, keep track of my ramblings and when we build the envy of barrel smokers we can use the ideas or laugh at my delirium. I think I need to wash my hands after giving the old man his Mophine
You're not delerious. That is exactly what it is. Since I am on a balcony, it would be extremely inconvenient trying to dump the whole barrel. Plus it would end up with ash going over the side and that isn't a good idea since the apartment manager living directly under me. With the setup I have, I wait a day or two to make sure there are no lit embers. Then I give the charcoal grate a shake so all of the ash falls thru in to the pan (plus the unused coal stays in the grate for the next cook). Then I just dump the used ash into an old charcoal bag.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #36
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

so, there is no need to dump ash during the cook to keep the airflow going?

Sorry if this is a stupid quesiton.

Thanks

B
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #37
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

No its much like a WSM
Easy to use

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #38
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Norcore, thanks for the advice on the step drills. I tried using a metal hole saw with no luck. Figured there had to be a better way.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #39
Napper
On the road to being a farker

You can cook more good BBQ in a 55 gal. drum than you will ever be able to eat!
I have made several custom builds. To make the holes I use an electricians "slug cutter". It makes nice clean 7/8" or 1 1/8" holes. These are perfect fits for electrical box plugs. I have also threaded 1/2" and 3/4" pipe nipples in the holes to draft air closer to the charcoal ring. The slug cutters are expensive tools but after you make a few cookers they are well worth the price.

These things can really cook.
55 gal. drum smokers galore! (All custom built)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #40
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper
You can cook more good BBQ in a 55 gal. drum than you will ever be able to eat!
I have made several custom builds. To make the holes I use an electricians "slug cutter". It makes nice clean 7/8" or 1 1/8" holes. These are perfect fits for electrical box plugs. I have also threaded 1/2" and 3/4" pipe nipples in the holes to draft air closer to the charcoal ring. The slug cutters are expensive tools but after you make a few cookers they are well worth the price.

These things can really cook.
Welcome aboard Bill! Do you have any pics of all of your cookers?

Now get on over to Cattle call and and introduce yourself!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #41
gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
You're not delerious. That is exactly what it is. Since I am on a balcony, it would be extremely inconvenient trying to dump the whole barrel. Plus it would end up with ash going over the side and that isn't a good idea since the apartment manager living directly under me. With the setup I have, I wait a day or two to make sure there are no lit embers. Then I give the charcoal grate a shake so all of the ash falls thru in to the pan (plus the unused coal stays in the grate for the next cook). Then I just dump the used ash into an old charcoal bag.

Thinking about building my own (Don't tell the wife). Right now I'm trying to locate as much info as possible from fellow Bretren. How do you remove the ash pan without tipping the hole unit? Also, as far as supporting the cooking grates, which is better - bolts or welded brackets? One of my neighbors is a welder, so it wouldn't be a problem to ask him for assistance.

Thanx.

WSM
Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit
BBQ-Brethren

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
gman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #42
Bigmista

The diameter of the ashpan is small enough for me to take it straight up without bumping the support brackets. Maybe the next version will have a hole for hooks to lift it out...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 01-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #43
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

i am thinking that for my ashpan i will use a water pan from a broker brinkman electric smoker that i will have. one question i have is what do you do about the drippings from the cooking grate that dont land on the coals?

I will use bolts as i have no welding capabilities. my other thought for airflow in the lid is instead of drilling 8 holes, to drill 3 and put adjustable valves in them like i will do in the bottom. any thoughts on this?
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #44
Bigmista

They fall in the bottom of the barrel. Hit it with a power washer (I take mine to the self-serve car wash) once every blue moon. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

I would worry more about about adjustable valves in the bottom. You want you top holes open until you are done cooking.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott

Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #45
Napper

Motley Que,
I totally agree with Bigmista. Leave the holes on the top open fully while you cook. You need good convection flow in the drum. I have 3 -7/8" holes on the bottom of my drums. I usually only need one plug out to maintain a temp of 260 degrees. Two out and it goes over 340! I have never run with three out. I use Royal Oak Lump charcoal. It burns quite hot. Brickettes burn much cooler and are very constant in temperature. (easier to control) You MUST light the charcoal from the TOP. If you start it from the bottom you will never be able to control the temperature.
55 gal. drum smokers galore! (All custom built)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker