MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
Dmars13
Got Wood.

Default Flat top vs. Kettle top UDS

Hey everyone I have a question for those that have built a few UDSs. Between keeping the original drum lid and using the kettle lid which would you recommend and why. And to keep things easier let's assume the kettle lid fits snug on the UDS.
I'm thinking the kettle lid would be better just because it gives me more space for my top grate, but are there advantages for the flat lid I'm not seeing?
Dmars13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

For one, the domed lid does not drip back on food.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2015, 01:58 AM   #3
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

I have no experience w/ a flat lid. I went w/ the Weber lid for the room and I'm glad I did.

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

If you have a domed Weber lid available there is no good reason NOT to use it. I have a kettle- and a double grate setup on my drum. I've used the dome lid to run 2 grates a few times. Jacking with 2 full grates on a uds can be a bit of a pain- so I don't do it often. I have my drum set up one 3 bricks with a slight cant, the "drip down" from the flat lid is not an issue.
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Depends on what you want to do with your drum. I have one of each. I prefer the flat lid, But I also do pizza's on mine and the flat lid I can get a more even cook top/bottom with the flat lid. So the dome is strictly for smoking. I have 3 racks total in each. The bottom rack/grate is for a drip pan or deflector when required. 2 racks for cooking. Plenty of room even with the flat lid for doing 6 large butts 3/ea grate. I haven't had a problem with stuff dripping off the lid with my lids, either one. But I do flake off the extra when it's there.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
Dmars13
Got Wood.

Thanks guys, ebijack your post gives me a few more questions. I was also thinking of adding a grate for a deflector. What did you use for your deflector, how high above the charcoal basket is it, and when/how do you decide if it's necessary?

Old 06-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
For one, the domed lid does not drip back on food.
The flat lids do? They don't in the years of using mine. Perhaps your dripping was from a bad fire and was condensation.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Bludawg

^^^ same here^^^ Must be using a Water pan??

Old 06-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I've had condensation build up on my flat one with out the use of a water pan. For the deflector question, I used a pizza crisper pan from walmart with larger holes drilled into it. I kinda quit using it tho.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
Fwismoker

Any condensation is from a poor fire and convection.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Dome or cone lid, allows you to add another grate. Plus adds a little more distance from the fire basket for all grates. Further from the heat source in the drum, the better IMO.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
dad2jsc
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is my uds. I use a stainless steel pan for a deflector. I use it everytime I cook and I never put water in it, I just wrap it in tinfoil. My advice is find a drum that a weber lid will fit on without any modifications, to me it's worth the looking around. 22 3/4 inch diameter barrel. I put my grate for the deflector 1" above the top of my fire basket. Build one with two cooking grates that way if you need it you have it. I put my top cooking grate 2" down from the top of the barrel and the second cooking grate 6" down from the top cooking grate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1255_2.jpg (52.0 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1261.jpg (43.6 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1260_2.jpg (81.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1180.jpg (75.0 KB, 292 views)
dad2jsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Dmars13
Got Wood.

Thanks for the pics dad2jsc. I just found a drum that the weber lid fits perfect on. The problem is it has a sealed lid. I know I can rent a jigsaw from HD for $15 but is there any other way to get that thing off. Keep in mind I only have a power drill, I thought I might be able to drill holes around the outside until it comes off and if that doesn't work then go get the jigsaw?

Old 06-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
dad2jsc
Knows what a fatty is.

Mine had a sealed lid too. Drill a hole in the top of the lid big enough for a metal jig saw blade to fit, then cut around the top. I used a sawzall with a metal blade. Jig saw would work but I think a sawzall works a little better.
dad2jsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
DouG M
Full Fledged Farker

Find some one with a plazma cutter or go to a welding shop and have them do it to get a cleaner bur free edge so you don't cut your self on the burrs IMO safe as to sorry
DouG M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, uds, ugly drum smoker, Weber, weber kettle