MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #16
anchor-bbq
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyo626 View Post
I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker and I made the mistake of getting one with a red liner. I should have known better since I researched this forum and found numerous warnings against drums with liners in it. In my defence, I thought the liner was a rubber coating or something similar (i thought mine was paint, yes iam this dense.) Harbor freight sells a $20 weed burner what worked well to burn out/loosen most of the liner. I recommend burning liner out that stuff smells awful when heat it applied (and the smoke it produces ain't no thin blue). The reputation of the red liner is well deserved i still have to grind out the liner (im about 1/3 of the way through). Not looking forward to climbing inside and grinding out the rest
I feel ya! Mine did not have the liner and it was still a pain to grind out the insides. You'll be happy when it's done though.
anchor-bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #17
Collector-X
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

hmmm...I'm too lazy. Would have bought another drum without the liner.
KCBS CBJ #6527 - 18.5" WSM Bullet, Big Tex, 27" Green Weber Kettle circa 1965.
Collector-X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 AM   #18
SmokinBerto
Knows what a fatty is.

I picked up my most recent drum from a place that does oil changes. It had synthetic blend oil in it, No Liner. I'm actually looking forward to working this one. I picked up one of the weed burners fro Harbor Freight. In my opinion every man should own one. The thing is awesome. I used it to cure the Hi-Temp paint on my UDS. No more looking for discarded pallets to do a burn, WooHoo

Old 07-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #19
scrub puller
On the road to being a farker

Yair . . . Why not use lube oil drums? They are nice and clean and there is no stuffing around with grinding/sanding . . . maybe on the outside if you are fussy. I don't bother, I just paint them over with stove black

I can never see the point in food grade and having to deal with coatings and liners. They sure won't be "food grade" when you finish melting and burning and sanding out the liner or coating.

Some of them sure do have nice lids though but if you cut oil drums in the right place you can use the tops or bottoms for lids.

Cheers.
scrub puller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
Roast Beast
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree with the above. The liners are only "food grade" when used as intended, the same way that plastic Tupperware is food grade when used as intended. Put either one in a 300-degree environment, and you have a decidedly non-food-grade situation. I see folks on Craigslist around here selling UDSs and barrel grills made of 55-gallon drums and touting the "food grade" barrels they used, but with the liners still 100% intact.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum x ?
Hunsaker Drum
KCBS CBJ

[B]ROAST BEAST BBQ on [URL="https://www.facebook.com/ROASTBEASTBBQ"]Facebook[/URL] and [URL="https://www.instagram.com/roastbeastbbq/?hl=en"]Instagram[/b][/URL][/FONT]
Roast Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
TerryMac
Got rid of the matchlight.

I would avoid food grade if possible, but with the $20 HF weed burner. I got coating out in two less than half-hour sessions. It comes off in sheets when it gets to the necessary temp. Worst part is the bottom perimeter, the heat tends to come right back at ya. I'll try to avoid it next time, but it was $20 for an otherwise very nice drum.
TerryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
Wahoo95

I simply paid a local blasting shop $20 to blast mine clean.
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
Newazsmoker

Name/Nickname : Andrew
Question Resurrecting thread

Good afternoon oh brethren of the functional smokers.

I’m burning out my drum with the food grade liner, all of the light brown/red brown melted off by running the torch along the outside of the barrel. Unfortunately it looks like there is an additional black liner underneath. Has anyone encountered this? I’m second guessing whether to burn it again putting the torch inside, any danger there? tia
Newazsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #24
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

The torch will suffocate. It will use the oxygen to quick and go out. Drill the intake holes on the bottom of the barrel. Fill the barrel with wood and light her up.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2020, 12:11 AM   #25
Newazsmoker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
The torch will suffocate. It will use the oxygen to quick and go out. Drill the intake holes on the bottom of the barrel. Fill the barrel with wood and light her up.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll source some wood and try to make it easier on myself.
Newazsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #26
DDT

I would drill the vent holes first for good air flow and then burn it.
(14" mini) UDS
#3Kamado
UDS
DDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #27
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Even with a good burnout, you might still have to do some wire wheeling- but the more you burn, the easier the wheeling.

If you are going to use the flat lid, resist the temptation to just toss it in there while the burnout is going on. It will "taco" on you.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #28
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyo626 View Post
I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker and I made the mistake of getting one with a red liner. I should have known better since I researched this forum and found numerous warnings against drums with liners in it. In my defence, I thought the liner was a rubber coating or something similar (i thought mine was paint, yes iam this dense.) Harbor freight sells a $20 weed burner what worked well to burn out/loosen most of the liner. I recommend burning liner out that stuff smells awful when heat it applied (and the smoke it produces ain't no thin blue). The reputation of the red liner is well deserved i still have to grind out the liner (im about 1/3 of the way through). Not looking forward to climbing inside and grinding out the rest
I`ve made four drums in the past few months it takes four flapper disk to grind out the liner after burning out the liner it dosen`t mater if you buy good wheels or cheap wheels it takes four i find it hard to belive that someone would leave the liner in a drum they are made out of epoxe paint that would taste bad bad bad and probaly poison you

Old 07-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

burn that bugger out, hot and fast, skids, any kind or hardwood you could stuff in there, get it glowing red.

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds, uds build, ugly drum smoker