MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 AM   #13246
Caeyers
Found some matches.

Nice 1!

Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #13247
Big Game
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : James
Default New to site

I am new to this site and apologize if I am posting my question in the wrong place. But, can someone assist me in finding an accessory for an ugly drum smoker? I am looking for the device used to hold the digital meat probe to the UDS. It appears to be stainless Steel and has a pivoting head that that is detachable from the main unit but is attached to the meat probe. Thanks for all your help
Big Game is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #13248
fuzzytxt
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by OferL View Post
Looks beautiful. Welcome to the dark side
LOL Its So bad i am already thinking of my next one!
fuzzytxt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #13249
fuzzytxt
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game View Post
I am looking for the device used to hold the digital meat probe to the UDS. It appears to be stainless Steel and has a pivoting head that that is detachable from the main unit but is attached to the meat probe.
Hey I am new to this stuff as well and i think i have seen what you are talking about (holds the digital thermometer on the outside not the actual probe inside) I cant seem to find it but this is my best guess

Magnetic door stop

Maybe glueing a big HUGE magnet to the bottom of it?

Good Luck

Old 09-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #13250
Big Game

You are correct, it holds the thermometer on the outside

Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #13251
Big Game

Thank you very much. That looks very similar

Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #13252
Displaced Texan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

I have a quick question for those with graphics on your UDS. Did you paint the graphic on or did you use vinyl? If vinyl, how has it held up?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #13253
JTnWI
Found some matches.

I have read this post, twice. After reading it the first time it was a lot shorter and I built my first UDS. I just got done reading it a second time and finished my second smoker. The 3rd UDS will not require another read, or I hope not. Here is my completed drum. Redskins theme, waiting on a stencil for the center yellow part. I am also going to add a deep fryer thermometer, and a removable table. The small silver shelf is for my ThermPro. The BCF is from a metal trashcan I found on Amazon, 11 holes in the bottom and a 14" grate for the charcoal.
JTnWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #13254
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTnWI View Post
I have read this post, twice. After reading it the first time it was a lot shorter and I built my first UDS. I just got done reading it a second time and finished my second smoker. The 3rd UDS will not require another read, or I hope not. Here is my completed drum. Redskins theme, waiting on a stencil for the center yellow part. I am also going to add a deep fryer thermometer, and a removable table. The small silver shelf is for my ThermPro. The BCF is from a metal trashcan I found on Amazon, 11 holes in the bottom and a 14" grate for the charcoal.
Very nice build. I like the thermopro shelf. What's the other metal thing on the barrel?
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 04:19 AM   #13255
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OferL View Post
Very nice build. I like the thermopro shelf. What's the other metal thing on the barrel?
Bottle opener?

Old 10-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #13256
JTnWI
Found some matches.

Right, bottle opener. Pretty sure it is a legal requirement for smoking meat. ;-)
JTnWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #13257
MattCom
Take a breath!

Any Long Island Bros out there? I found a 55 Gal SS drum... $90.
I used one years ago and MY DS is awesome... no rust!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1473...89967707915225

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #13258
grosen84
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Greg

<$300 Stainless Drum Smoker

Drum was a craigslist find, very thick wall, was used for fermenting wine. It was hand made as far as I can tell, several weld beads around the base and a nice thick rolled edge that clips a plastic drum lid perfectly. Conveniently, it also perfectly fits the crust groove in a 24" pizza pan. Used a Amazon BGE replacement vent door. Had to put some muscle in to relax the radius, which ended up crinkling the door lip slightly, but now it just holds the door more firmly. -1 aesthetics, +1 function. Took advantage of the OSH closing clearance to pick up the hardware. I measured the grate size needed to roughly 22 to 22 1/4", so I may have to make my own expanded metal grate (also scored from OSH) Decided to use carriage bolts for the door and stainless rivets for the shelf standards, so everything outside is screw head free and stainless.

It's a little dented up, so I guess that's where it gets it's ugly?

grosen84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #13259
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grosen84 View Post
<$300 Stainless Drum Smoker

Drum was a craigslist find, very thick wall, was used for fermenting wine. It was hand made as far as I can tell, several weld beads around the base and a nice thick rolled edge that clips a plastic drum lid perfectly. Conveniently, it also perfectly fits the crust groove in a 24" pizza pan. Used a Amazon BGE replacement vent door. Had to put some muscle in to relax the radius, which ended up crinkling the door lip slightly, but now it just holds the door more firmly. -1 aesthetics, +1 function. Took advantage of the OSH closing clearance to pick up the hardware. I measured the grate size needed to roughly 22 to 22 1/4", so I may have to make my own expanded metal grate (also scored from OSH) Decided to use carriage bolts for the door and stainless rivets for the shelf standards, so everything outside is screw head free and stainless.

It's a little dented up, so I guess that's where it gets it's ugly?

Wow. What a fine find. I would highly recommend Membersmark to clean the inside. I do mine after every 3-5 cooks and it takes it back to new. I can't imagine how nice stainless would clean up. Thanks for sharing!
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #13260
4dueces
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fitz

Built this for a buddy, he's an Iowa State Cyclone fan but his daughter went to the University of Iowa, thus the house divided.
4dueces is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker