MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
andre2955
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Craig
Default Consideration of UDS Build

Greetings Brethren: I'm considering a UDS build. I currently use a large BGE and am after more cooking surface area and more portability. Can those who have built a UDS recommend a hardware kit?
andre2955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Hunsaker has a kit: https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/diy-kits

BigPoppaSmokers also has one: https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/bps-drum-kit-parts
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

uds are simple. pretty much EVERYTHING you NEED can be found at lowes or home depot.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

I've used the Big Poppa Smokers kit. I was pleased with it.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

udsparts.com has a ton of different parts. That have pre bundled kits and also sell the parts individually so you can taylor your drum to your specific needs.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

I used the BPS kit. It's a great starter kit but if I were to do it over, I'd build NY own kit to have a larger coal basket, an adjustable grate system, and maybe a smoke stack for exhaust like hunsakerinstead of just 8 holes and a daisy wheel. I also wish I would have started with a stainless steel drum. there's a place in TN that has them for under $200 picked up and I got a buddy that lives close.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
uds are simple. pretty much EVERYTHING you NEED can be found at lowes or home depot.
I second That! Just make sure if you use a flat lid, you leave enough room for putting normal bbq items on. I put my top rack on about an inch too high so certain things touch the lid when they tighten up during a cook.

I suppose I should add to this that when I built mine, I looked at a lot of designs and read some stuff on here, then planned and bought stuff. I know that there are kits, but I am a little frugal. I had to assess my abilities of construction which, being low, I needed something easy to build.

Last edited by jermoQ; 04-18-2018 at 06:38 PM..
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Tags
bge, big green egg, uds, ugly drum smoker