MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #16
Brew-Bq
Full Fledged Farker

I use a Weber lid and the only issue I have is when I load it up w 6 Butts I have to crack the lid to keep temps up around 275F. The daisy wheel is fine on most cooks but doesnt exhaust enough for me on monster cooks. No big deal though.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #17
Doog
is One Chatty Farker

My current UDS has a Weber lid but it's not a great seal. But I am currently thinking about building another UDS with a flat lid. When I originally was using a flat lid. It seemed it was easier to dial in and hold. The majority of the time I'm good with one rack.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #18
Hotrodhog
Full Fledged Farker

To put it simple, would you run a flat lid on your webber?
Hotrodhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #19
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmars13 View Post
Thanks guys, ebijack your post gives me a few more questions. I was also thinking of adding a grate for a deflector. What did you use for your deflector, how high above the charcoal basket is it, and when/how do you decide if it's necessary?
I used a 17 inch cheap pizza pan I drilled holes into. Then adjusted to try to even out the heat. It's not perfect, but works real well when needed. I use it for when I do wings and a few other things. If I'm doing greasy food like chickens , pork butts etc ( I want to keep the drippings) I use a drip pan. My basket is 3 inches off the bottom ( 4 inches on my other drum..still testing) 17 inches round ( Weber 22.5 coal grate) 8 inches high sides. Bolts are at 15 inches up from bottom. I use 6 inch carriage bolts for legs for my grates with the flat lid. 8 inches with the dome lid.

ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

six to one, half dozen to another.

I use the Weber lids when I need extra height such as Beer butt chicken, Leg and Wing racks or using a rotisserrie.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #21
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

I'm partial to my flat top , seals great and keeps temp perfect , if I need more room , I'll use the traeger
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #22
LifeLongWNYer
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I used a 17 inch cheap pizza pan I drilled holes into. My basket is 3 inches off the bottom ( 4 inches on my other drum..still testing) 17 inches round ( Weber 22.5 coal grate) 8 inches high sides. Bolts are at 15 inches up from bottom.
Ebi, does your deflector sit right on top of your fire box?

Tags
build, uds, ugly drum smoker, Weber, weber kettle