• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pitmaker "The Vault"

dobdabomb

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have one and can you comment on everything. I've got some good info from George from Pitmaker but want to hear from the customers. Any corrosion issue. They sound solid as a rock and I am leaning to them over the verticals now due to the thicker metal and more stainless.

Thanks guys!

The Vault is a Vertical and is very well built. I do not own one. I was going that direction myself until I saw the 6 hour cook time with a full firebox and the top of the firebox so close to the fire. I am not saying they are not still the best option for a vertical, I believe they are I just am going another direction once I found about Peoria Cookers.
If storage space is not the deciding factor for you -> Look as this Presentation.

Where did you hear this cook time, every article I've read and video on YouTube with the half H charcoal burn cooks up to 18 hrs no problem.

There are some videos on Youtube of the vault in action.

Where did you hear this cook time, every article I've read and video on YouTube with the half H charcoal burn cooks up to 18 hrs no problem.

AT 2 minutes 5 seconds into their own video.

[ame="http://youtu.be/NQoe9u0egWY?t=2m5s"]http://youtu.be/NQoe9u0egWY?t=2m5s[/ame]

I find that odd. I have a safe and have gone 10 hours on a full load and it would have gone longer but I was done before the fire went out. Maybe because its a smaller unit

I own a Safe and a full load of lump with some wood will last up to 14 hours (cooking dry). In the video George said 6 lbs of coal with a couple of chunks will last 6-8 hours in the Vault. A good friend owns a Vault and it will hold several more pounds of coal and wood than just 6 lbs (if needed).

I find that odd. I have a safe and have gone 10 hours on a full load and it would have gone longer but I was done before the fire went out. Maybe because its a smaller unit

I own a Safe and a full load of lump with some wood will last up to 14 hours (cooking dry). In the video George said 6 lbs of coal with a couple of chunks will last 6-8 hours in the Vault. A good friend owns a Vault and it will hold several more pounds of coal and wood than just 6 lbs (if needed).

Thank you guys for the clarification. I only had the video as a reference, I didn't have any first hand experience with it. This is good to know.

I believe video says 6 hours with 6 lbs of charcoal. You can always add more coals for longer burns.

For the guys with the safe's, I'm guessing its constructed the same with a good bit of stainless. Can you tell me more about your experiences, any issues, built quality you wish we're different, corrosion(rust anywhere inside or out)?

For the guys with the safe's, I'm guessing its constructed the same with a good bit of stainless. Can you tell me more about your experiences, any issues, built quality you wish we're different, corrosion(rust anywhere inside or out)?

Have had mine 1 1/2 yrs. No corrosion issues; however, mine is stored indoors (garage). Cart and pit both look new. I cook dry with diffuser plate installed. Guru maintains 250° (or higher) setpoint consistently. A basket of fuel (I use about half wood and half lump) will last up to 14 hrs (at 250°). Cooking with water will require quite a bit more fuel. Build quality and options are superior. I use mine 3 to 4 times a month and have not had any problems.

dobdabomb...

I own a Vault, and I get a lot more burn time than that video reflects.

My normal fuel loading consist of ~6 pounds of RO lump and a couple of pounds of mesquite chunks. This fuel loading will easily maintain my vault at 250 for 14+ hours (dry). I burn this loading in a horse shoe configuration.

You also need to consider the "meat" loading in this whole equation.....

My normal meat loading will usually be several briskets, butts or a half dozen racks of ribs or more. These smokers usually cook faster than an off-set type smoker and several 12 pound packers will be done in ~6-7 hours. So, I'm "over" fueling my pit a bit. I really like loading the lump/wood one time for anything I cook. I haven't seen an off-set be able to do as well, generally speaking.

As far as any corrosion.... I've had my Vault for about a year and a half and have not seen any type of corrosion. They seem to be well thought out as to where they placed the stainless steel in the robust construction of these smoker.

As for me.....All things considered.....I can honestly say, buy a Vault or Safe with confidence.

Those threads are making me re-think things. Everything I was seeing was it was a set it and forget after you get fire going. This does make me feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Pitmaker was definitely at the top of my list for a new pit. It seems the field is really split 50/50 with folks who like and dislike this product. I have never seen such a split with any other pits (i.e. Backwoods, Stumps, Assassin, Cookshack, etc.). This 50/50 split has made me reconsider buying a Vault even though I LOVE the size of them.

I really missed any 50/50, everything I saw was favorable....but so many are having to add items to correct things to fix heating issues. For that price, that is a real negative for me. I really am in love with the design, but I don't use water all the time and if this becomes an only water cooker I can't take that leap. The fully welding and the added stainless is a huge plus but I'm not finding negatives with the three I am looking at Stumps, Assassin and Rebel but those rivets all over them really worry me on the longevity.

I was one of those folks that were giving it a second thought [ after reading the above mentioned post ] but I ended up buying a safe and I really like it. I would go for the ball valve intake over the sliding door thats about all I would change if I had to do it over again.

What do you mean sliding door? I thought all have just the valve intake on the side where the guru would attach to?

Those threads are making me re-think things. Everything I was seeing was it was a set it and forget after you get fire going. This does make me feel uncomfortable.

I didn't read the threads above, but I'm sure its about run away temp.
If you buy it, spend the extra money and get the ball valves.
I bought mine 5 months ago and have had no problems with run away temps. I fill up the basket, and set the guru to the temp.
When I bought my vault I expected to throw in some charcoal, and a brisket and have it coming out a comp winner. Like any new pit you are going to have to learn your new pit. It took practice and reading a lot of threads. Now you couldn't get me to part with my vault.
And every brisket I make now, my family and friends think its a comp winner :icon_smile_tongue:.
I have never needed water to hold temps.
I used to own a Gator Pit.

Last edited:
Back