MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Pitmaker was definitely at the top of my list for a new pit. It seems the field is really split 50/50 with folks who like and dislike this product. I have never seen such a split with any other pits (i.e. Backwoods, Stumps, Assassin, Cookshack, etc.). This 50/50 split has made me reconsider buying a Vault even though I LOVE the size of them.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

I really missed any 50/50, everything I saw was favorable....but so many are having to add items to correct things to fix heating issues. For that price, that is a real negative for me. I really am in love with the design, but I don't use water all the time and if this becomes an only water cooker I can't take that leap. The fully welding and the added stainless is a huge plus but I'm not finding negatives with the three I am looking at Stumps, Assassin and Rebel but those rivets all over them really worry me on the longevity.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I was one of those folks that were giving it a second thought [ after reading the above mentioned post ] but I ended up buying a safe and I really like it. I would go for the ball valve intake over the sliding door thats about all I would change if I had to do it over again.
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

What do you mean sliding door? I thought all have just the valve intake on the side where the guru would attach to?

Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #20
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
Those threads are making me re-think things. Everything I was seeing was it was a set it and forget after you get fire going. This does make me feel uncomfortable.
I didn't read the threads above, but I'm sure its about run away temp.
If you buy it, spend the extra money and get the ball valves.
I bought mine 5 months ago and have had no problems with run away temps. I fill up the basket, and set the guru to the temp.
When I bought my vault I expected to throw in some charcoal, and a brisket and have it coming out a comp winner. Like any new pit you are going to have to learn your new pit. It took practice and reading a lot of threads. Now you couldn't get me to part with my vault.
And every brisket I make now, my family and friends think its a comp winner .
I have never needed water to hold temps.
I used to own a Gator Pit.

Last edited by MI Smoke; 06-08-2013 at 03:59 PM..
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

I thought the ball valves came standard, thought I see it all the pics.

What is standard then? I am confused here.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Sliding door inlet. That prob not the right term.
Ball valves are extra, but worth the money (to me).
I thought there was a thread about it somewhere.
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
SHERIFF
Got Wood.

MI Smoke.....

I'm very happy you got your Vault dialed in! The food that comes out of a Vault/Safe is nothing short of fantastic!!
SHERIFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
hardijd
Found some matches.

We absolutely LOVE our Vault. Like others have said would go with the ball valves vs. sliding draft door. Didn't know the valves were an option until it was too late. Figured out the sliding door and haven't had an issue since though.
hardijd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #25
hardijd
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardijd View Post
We absolutely LOVE our Vault. Like others have said would go with the ball valves vs. sliding draft door. Didn't know the valves were an option until it was too late. Figured out the sliding door and haven't had an issue since though.
I should add....we DO use water in our Vault. Might make a bit of a difference!
hardijd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #26
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

So the sliding door are those the two little things on each side at the bottom? How much is the valve option? So the sliding doors are the issue and the valves fix it? That is where the guru would attach right?

Those latest guys with vaults, can you tell me more from your experiences...I would really owe you a ton. Any corrosion issues or anything else outside of the sliding doors?

Anyone gave d rings for latching down to a trailer? I haven't seen anyone have these. I can't lend $6k on a trailer but will latch own to either a utility or enclosed for competition travel

Thanks!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #27
hardijd
Found some matches.

Yes. The sliding doors are the little things on the bottom, but there's only one on a standard new Vault. They're a little loose and leaky so the valve solves that issue and you connect your Guru straight to the valve.

Not sure on the valve cost as we didn't know it was an option until it was too late.

No real corrosion issues so far (other than maybe a little rust on a rack) and we cook with water so you'd expect some rust.

We transport ours on a modified car trailer with heavy duty straps crossed over the top. Thing doesn't budge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big City Trailer.jpg (74.3 KB, 257 views)

Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
Davey D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I own the safe. It is very well built. I am still in the process of learning it. Any pit requires some time to get used to. If you want to set it and forget it then electric or pellet might be the way to go. There are so many variables with most wood and charcoal pits. Pitmaker makes a solid product. I would go for the ball-valve option if you pull the trigger. I like the safe more than my last gravity feed.
Davey D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
SA_Scorpio
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been cooking on my new Safe (picked up Memorial Weekend) and absolutely love the BBQ it cooks up. I find it very fuel efficient and easy to control temps, I also did the ball valve upgrade for $225.00 but well worth it IMHO.
Super Fast Hot Coals Thermapen
SA_Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardijd View Post
Yes. The sliding doors are the little things on the bottom, but there's only one on a standard new Vault. They're a little loose and leaky so the valve solves that issue and you connect your Guru straight to the valve.

Not sure on the valve cost as we didn't know it was an option until it was too late.

No real corrosion issues so far (other than maybe a little rust on a rack) and we cook with water so you'd expect some rust.

We transport ours on a modified car trailer with heavy duty straps crossed over the top. Thing doesn't budge.
sweet man, any more pics of the trailer set up?working on my bws 6x10 trailer and need some set up ideas.