No wrap ribs

Eric In STL

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello fellow brethren, i need help from our pro rib cookers. Can you help me smoke perfect unwrapped ribs, giving me time and temps please? Any and all tips and techniques will be tried until i get the perfect unwrapped, tender ribs!!!!

1. Pick whatever temp you want.
2. Cook till ribs pass bend test.
3. Boom, perfectly tender ribs.

I did ribs yesterday. One rack took 90 mins longer than the rest at same temp. 4 hrs vs 5.5 hrs. You can't set a time on it like you can brownies or cupcakes.

I have never wrapped, don't see the point. Baby backs I cook at 250, STL at 275, about 4 hours for each as a ballpark, but they need to pass the toothpick test. If you want to sauce, I'd start at about 3 1/2 hours in, multiple coats.

300, 3.5-4 hours. Toothpick test is the best indicator. I check for the first time at 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I do STL ribs unwrapped at 250 F. Usually takes at least 5 hrs, sometimes as much as 6 hrs. I look for a little bit of pull back on the ends of the bones, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch. They always come out tender and juicy. I usually don't sauce them on the pit, as that tends to make the bark soggy. I just serve sauce on the side.

I consider ribs to be the easiest thing I cook. Almost set and forget. Just remember to start checking at 5 hrs.

Did these today at 250-275. Didn’t wrap but spritz and sprinkled. Took 4 hours.

87a8323d039d32a95d63ff7a17aef019.jpg

1fad59b2956c444912c4a90a44a103f1.jpg

I do full spares at 225°f for about 5-1/2 to 6 hours. I use a WSM with beer and water in the pan. If you are into final temps they should be around 190°f to 195°f but you will know if they are done as soon as you push the thermometer in because it should probe tender. Chris

Very very nice looking bones, man i hope my first try at unwrapped turns out as fine as yours, thank you for helping me out
:clap2:

Unwrapped

Guys, so should i not use rubs with sugar in it, since i'm gonna ride full time unwrapped, and if so, can u guys recommend any good ones?

Williams Rib Tickler. I add a little extra course ground black pepper and cayenne if I want more heat. I never get the bone pull back like everyone else does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guys, so should i not use rubs with sugar in it, since i'm gonna ride full time unwrapped, and if so, can u guys recommend any good ones?

I use brown sugar in my rub with no issues, but I tend to cook in the 225-275* range so that helps I'm sure.

Salt and pepper...

That is all

I prefer a savory rub for my ribs. If/when I add sugar, it's usually in the form of a sauce applied during the last hour of the cook, or simply served on the side. My rubs usually consist of Fiesta Brand Rib/Pork rub, kosher salt, coarse black pepper, and paprika. Lately I've been adding a bit of SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama which I think has some sugar in it, but it's not overwhelmingly sweet and doesn't burn on a 6 hour cook. I'm pretty loyal to Fiesta Brand seasoning, but SuckleBusters is freaking awesome too and they have amazing customer service. Can't go wrong with either.

I always do a variety.

If I'm buying, I've had good luck with Kosmo's, Dizzy Pig, and I like plowboys Bovine bold. I find their yardbird run too salty.

Your basic homemade rub
brown sugar, paprika, s&P, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, celery seed or salt, I like to add cumin

I wrap from time to time, but my best ribs are not wrapped. I know this can become a holy war discussion but I just think cooking straight through without wrapping produces a better product.

Back