New Old Country Brazos Cooker

Faston

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
:doh:
Well I cracked a weld that secures the angle iron to the firebox chamber. My fault as I tried to lift the firefox holding on to this angle iron. This sucker is really heavy! The good news is that the angle iron is still in the proper position for an easy reweld. I am thinking I should remove the old weld bead and reload with the lowest power settings.

Problem is that I have virtually no welding experience to date. I do have a Harbor Freight 225 amp stick welder with AWS E7018 1/8" dia. sticks and E6013 sticks that are considerably lighter.

If I bought the wrong welder and what model might be better and why. My financial resources are very limited.

Attachments

• Firebox Angle Iron Weld Cracked 03-27-13.jpg
    Firebox Angle Iron Weld Cracked 03-27-13.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 193
Grind out that bad weld in a V shape set your box for 100 amps and burn up some 7018 do 3 passes a Root and two Fillets

Grind out that bad weld in a V shape set your box for 100 amps and burn up some 7018 do 3 passes a Root and two Fillets

^+1 no better advice. You will get a cleaner and stronger weld if you clean back the paint & grime, just a 1/4 inch or so of clean metal in the V Bludawg describes.

PS if you can weld both sides of the joint it will hold forever.

I think I am heaven!! You folks are incredibly knowledgeable and so willing to pass your knowledge to others. Hope I can return the favor some day.

Thanks!!!

yep, great advice. but that weld was made by a child. shame on the manufacturer.

Looks like a surface weld with no penetration. If you can grind it off, do so. If not, clean it up and follow advice above.

I have an Old Country Angus and the welding sucks. Lots of surface welds, no penetration, etc.

Got a surprise tonight, my 240V adapter that I had been using is a 3 prong plug but the new house requires a 4 prong. Looks like a trip to Home Depot to get the proper hardware.

On a side note, it's about time separate ground and neutral wires are showing up for 240V service. If I remember correctly it was added to 120V service codes in the 60's.

Whoops... I just noticed that my new Harbor Freight welder still has a 3 prong plug. So much for separate ground and neutral lines.

Last edited:
Back