MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)
Default Wagyu Brisket

I have a full grass fed Wagyu Brisket in the fridge.
How should I treat this piece of meat, any different to a normal cut?
Would this be a candidate for a fast and hot cook?
your opinions as always are most appreciated

Last edited by Titch; 06-13-2013 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: added picture and had a beer
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
buccaneer

Aaaargh!!!
Robbins Island, Titch that is just sadistic and satanically cruel, ya farkin show off!!
It'll have salty notes and I know there will be a dogpile on top of me for saying this but...gulp...low and slow is a fools ticket for that wagyu.
Think about it.
If the fat renders at 35 degrees celsius..and it does, what are going to do by extending the time that it is over that temp?
Dry it out, but that you will never notice because the remnants will remain in the meat strands so you will still think it a success...however, cook to a hot sear and eat it with the full benefit and it is swoon material.
Hotn fast, all the way IMO.
That's my take on the science, I haven't had a wagyu brisket yet.
Had 10 years of Japanese wagyu, and plenty here but rump.
All seared.
BTW, cut me in on your next bank job willya?

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

I'd be conservative and do what I know works well for brisket. 250-265, 12+ hours, check with a toothpick. I wouldn't be trying new techniques with a nice/expensive slab of meat like that.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

I havent done Wagyu personally, but I know people do it hot and fast all the time with excellent results.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I confess, I have personally seen that Brisket and Titch said that was the only one that I could not buy off him...

It was then that I thought for one insane second to belt him over the head with the Cape Grimm one that I had on my hand and scarper...

But Yvonne was guarding the exit. And then there were the chooks that would probably attack on command. And making my way though the place at speed through an obstacle course of smokers and grills seriously screwed my chances. Especially the 2 WGA's strategically placed to trip over.

I had no chance. So I canned the idea.... for now....

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

How old is it? Like in what's the pack date? Not the sell by date. All aged beef tastes better IMO. I go 50 days because meat does have to go through riggimortis before it gets all tender and buttery.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
I confess, I have personally seen that Brisket and Titch said that was the only one that I could not buy off him...

It was then that I thought for one insane second to belt him over the head with the Cape Grimm one that I had on my hand and scarper...

But Yvonne was guarding the exit. And then there were the chooks that would probably attack on command. And making my way though the place at speed through an obstacle course of smokers and grills seriously screwed my chances. Especially the 2 WGA's strategically placed to trip over.

I had no chance. So I canned the idea.... for now....

Cheers!

Bill
You never would have made it to the obstacle course. The chooks would've done you in first. Vicious little beggers on the hunt. And a whole flock?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I've not cooked Waygu, but on pitmasters they are always talking about how it gets done faster than your normal choice cuts. Best of Luck!! Enjoy!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I would imagine that the fat content would make it a lot more forgiving than a regular brisket but I think that I would go with the low and slow method. Please post pron later, I wan't to splurge on one for the 4th of July and I'd like to know your results!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I have only cooked two of them so far. 275-300f works great. I wrapped them in butcher paper once the bark looked just right. They were both outstanding.

Looking forward to see how yours works out.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

I have cooked a couple with great success as pastrami. A brine mixture for 10 days. Added a pastrami rub & smoke at low temperature for 6 hours. Vacuum packed & cooked sous vide or 3 days. I guess this isn't the method you wih to hear.
The Reuben sandwiches were heavenly but one couldn't eat too much because of the richness/butteryness of the Waghu. My wife suggested a more kosher version of the Reuben leaving out the dairy and using horseradish (we named it the Charlotte).
Couldn't eat it cold as it became hard from the solidifying fat. But warm it a little in the microwave and back to heaven!
For subsequent pastrami I have not used Waghu as my wife and other family didn't want the richness of the Waghu. It took me a while to consume my efforts as I finished up mainly eating it by myself!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Hot and fast for sure...300-325. DO NOT INJECT IT. Rub it down and throw it on the pit. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Ponchovanilla
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Do you guys prefer grass-fed beef? I find that unless it's grain finished (properly), the grass fed stuff gets gamy and tends to dry out unless babied. Just wondering.
Ponchovanilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchovanilla View Post
Do you guys prefer grass-fed beef? I find that unless it's grain finished (properly), the grass fed stuff gets gamy and tends to dry out unless babied. Just wondering.
I prefer quality grass feed beef. I agree that the fattier the product is it gets more fail safe in cooking. My advise is do not over cook - I cook all my steaks & prime cuts to medium rare ie 130F (55C).

Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Peter B
On the road to being a farker

Do not inject and keep your recipe as close to normal. I have had great results cooking at 215 for 16 hours plus 2 hours rest.

I am a big believer in wrapping in butcher paper over foil for brisket. The bark doesn't soften as much.

Take pictures.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote