DigiQ II On WSM?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have been looking around here without any luck to try to find some photos and/or videos of the DigiQ II controller running on a WSM. I'm seriously thinking about adding this to my system and just wondered what it looked like on the WSM and whether or not folks are happy with it...

We've sold hundreds of them with the setups for the WSM and never had a complaint. It really enhances the usage of that cooker IMHO.
FB/SGP

Obviously you have cooked on the WSM so why do you think you need one? Are you having problems cooking? Just asking. I've had mine for 3 years and have never had a problem.

I have benefitted from a DigiQII on my 18.5 WSM for the past 3 years and would highly recommend it:thumb:. Picked the BBQ Guru over the Stoker for its simplicity, just don't need the web connectivity, logging, or multiple pit control etc for my purposes.

WSM with the DigiQII is pretty much set and forget. I appreciate this fact most for overnight butt/brisket cooks. I went with the 10cfm fan and must say I would not change a thing. The Guru has not let me down once and I have cooked year round for the three years I've had it

Last edited:
I have a CyberQ II running two WSMs and it is great. I've also used a NanoQ with good success. Its not that the WSM doesn't run smooth but it is more of a peace of mind issue for me as a solo cook. It is great to set it and get a little sleep. If you want to see it in action you there are some videos on youtube and the bbqguru site shows the installation of the fan adapter in pdf format.

I have been looking around here without any luck to try to find some photos and/or videos of the DigiQ II controller running on a WSM. I'm seriously thinking about adding this to my system and just wondered what it looked like on the WSM and whether or not folks are happy with it...

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

Ok then. I just don't understand. I set my WSM in the evening before bed then check it when I wake up and it's still purring along just fine. Even when it's cold or rainy it's still fine. Wind that's a whole new deal.

Well, my first real cook on the WSM is coming up this weekend. I just got mine Friday and did a dry run with it yesterday and it did pretty well. It is definitely a WANT and not a NEED. I believe that having a more precise control of the temperature would benefit my cooking overall and it would definitely offer me a set-and-forget setup with some minor exclusions. I'm a gadget geek and since I have gained an interest in smoking, this has to be one of the coolest gadgets I have seen so far :)

Ok then. I just don't understand. I set my WSM in the evening before bed then check it when I wake up and it's still purring along just fine. Even when it's cold or rainy it's still fine. Wind that's a whole new deal.

Well, my first real cook on the WSM is coming up this weekend. I just got mine Friday and did a dry run with it yesterday and it did pretty well. It is definitely a WANT and not a NEED. I believe that having a more precise control of the temperature would benefit my cooking overall and it would definitely offer me a set-and-forget setup with some minor exclusions. I'm a gadget geek and since I have gained an interest in smoking, this has to be one of the coolest gadgets I have seen so far :)

My Guru works like a charm, go for it! :becky:

In this photo I can see that the unused air vent holes are covered. Is that part of the Weber adapter that is provided for use with this equipment or is that something extra? When I looked at the image of the adapter online I did not see that...

In this photo I can see that the unused air vent holes are covered. Is that part of the Weber adapter that is provided for use with this equipment or is that something extra? When I looked at the image of the adapter online I did not see that...

They are electrical Knockout Filler Plugs-Caps:

449622_300.jpg

They are electrical Knockout Filler Plugs-Caps:

449622_300.jpg

Thanks :) I should be able to pick those up at the local hardware big box store. At least I know what I need now, thanks to all of you here :) I'll probably order a DigiQ with the fan and adapter later this week or next.

I love my Guru, my WSM is like an oven the temps are rock solid. In the pic below the holes are sealed with the thermal tape supplied with the Guru, worked fine until the damper worked loose cutting airflow. I'm now rockin' the electrical knockouts. My only regret with the Guru is not getting the Cyber Q which can run two pits.:doh:
DSC00787.jpg

I have yet to hear a complaint about the DigiQ. I think I'm definitely gonna order one and give it a whirl. Too bad I won't have it for my first cook this weekend :)

As many have already said it is a nice to have not a need to have. I have had one for a couple of years and have really enjoyed cooking with it.
I did have to make a few adjustments as I was figuring out how to cook with it. Keep in mind that the Guru does it's job best when it is in complete control of the air flow. For me the key to success is to have all air sealed off except the fan at the bottom and the top vent. I will take a few pieces of foil and fold them up to make a gasket of sorts for the seam between the two bottom pieces of the WSM (eliminates potential air leaks). This ensures that the guru can do it's thing regardless of the weather conditions.

Just purely out of curiosity, would a DigiQ DX system be allowed in a competition? Or any temp control system for that matter?

Back