Maple Syrup Cured Bacon with Photos

JohnHB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I purchased 10kg (22lbs) of pork loin & belly. Two loins weighed a total of 6.6kg (14.5lbs) and the belly 3.5kg (7.7lbs). The pig was a female (sow) from Bangalow. Bangalow Sweet Pork is hormone free and antibiotic free and a highly regarded product in Australia.
1Porkloinampbelly_zps553e7cbb.jpg

My cure for each of the three pieces was:
One (1) KG
3.4 KG
7.5 lbs
25 grams
Salt
90 grams
3.17 ounces
10 grams
Sugar
35 grams
1.23 ounces
3 grams
Curing salt (Cure #1)
10 grams
0.35 ounces
1 grams
Powdered garlic
5 grams
0.18 ounces
1 grams
Powered black pepper
5 grams
0.18 ounces
75 grams
Maple syrup
250 grams
8.82 ounces

The three pieces were cut in half and after rubbing with the above cure were vacuum packed.
2Packedwithrub_zpsac87e13b.jpg

The vacuum packed pieces went into my fridge for 9 days.
3Infridgeslowlycuring_zps10571cdb.jpg

They were then unpacked and washed in fresh water and further soaked in fresh water for one hour.
4Insinkaftercure_zpsd22523be.jpg

The pieces were then dried and place in the fridge overnight to dry further before being placed in the Bradley smoker.
5Infridgedryingbeforesmoking_zps24bb5a3a.jpg

My plan was to cook at 200F and pull out at 150F but with a low start to help the Hickory smoking. I did the first 1.5 hours building from 140F to 175F and then about 2.5 hours at around 200F.
6InBradleysmokingwithHickory_zps6321a304.jpg

Even though I thought I was going to have good control with my Maverick ET732 the middle area of the Bradley was hotter than the top and the loins on the lower racks cooked faster than the belly on the top two racks. The end temperatures varied from around the target of 150F but a couple were 165F on the thinner bits.
I vacuum packed the six pieces and left them in the fridge to settle and the smoke to integrate for two day.
7Justfinishedcooking-Vacuumpackedforacoupleofdaystomature_zpsdef2f7a0.jpg

Then off to a mate’s place as he has a Hobart commercial slicer. .After slicing and vacuum packing the lot we had a big heap of bacon.
8Fourpiecesofloinamptwoofbellyreadyforslicing_zps0d508dfc.jpg

Six pieces ready for slicing

9Sliceraction_zps250e78be.jpg

Slicer in action
10Someloinreadyforpacking_zps228f3feb.jpg

Some loin (i.e. Canadian Bacon) ready for packing

11Somebellyreadyfropacking_zpse9398d03.jpg

Some belly (i.e. American or Streaky Bacon) ready for packing
12Heapofbacon-fridgeampfreezerwillsoonbecrowded_zps2f458ffb.jpg

A big heap of bacon ready for fridge & freezer
We did sample several of the off cuts and then went upstairs where my friend cooked a pound or so of loin bacon and he, his wife and I had a generous serve of bacon on fresh homemade bagels with tomato. Lovely moist and sweet bacon clearly far better than any shop bought that I have tried. The only change next time is maybe to reduce the sugar and maple syrup a little.

Last edited:
The table of cure ingredients didn't show well so here they are:
Base ingredients for one (1) kg of pork
Salt 25g
Sugar 10g
Curing salt (Cure #1) 3g
Powdered garlic 1g
Powdered black pepper 1g
Maple syrup 75g
For each of the three piece being two whole loins and one belly that were about 3.4kg or 7.5lb each) I used:
Salt 90g (3.17 ounces)
Sugar 35g (1.23 ounces)
Curing salt (Cure #1) 10g (0.35 ounces)
Powdered garlic 5g (0.18 ounces)
Powdered black pepper 5g (0.18 ounces)
Maple syrup 250g (8.82 ounces)
John

I'm questioning your temps. Are you sure you have these right? Otherwise, the bacon looks great and I'm sure it tastes amazing. A BBQ Brother from Northeastern Alabama

You are obviously correct. The superscript 0 that denotes degree doesn't show as a superscript. I have gone back & removed them. Thank you for pointing it out.
John

Back