MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
GC8
On the road to being a farker

Default Craigslist Thread

I'm a n00b to Webers/smokers/grills/etc but have been consistently browsing Craigslist for some good finds. Problem is, I don't know a good price when I see one...unless it's free of course!

With that being said, I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread to Craigslist finds or Craigslist questions that people have. Every day, I see a potential purchase but have no idea if it's worth the asking price.

I'll start with a post that I've seen renewed a few times. Smokey Joes for $15. Worth it?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...874698483.html
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Eiu110
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post
I'm a n00b to Webers/smokers/grills/etc but have been consistently browsing Craigslist for some good finds. Problem is, I don't know a good price when I see one...unless it's free of course!

With that being said, I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread to Craigslist finds or Craigslist questions that people have. Every day, I see a potential purchase but have no idea if it's worth the asking price.

I'll start with a post that I've seen renewed a few times. Smokey Joes for $15. Worth it?

New WSJ's are $30, so worth it? That depends on you, but it is 1/2 price. I bought one a few weeks back for $5. Listed at $10, would've paid $10, but never hurts to ask :)
Eiu110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

If they are complete and don't need new grates that is a good price. I think new they are about $40. On CL I if I can't get it for half or less then it is not worth my time. Usually the post is pumping up the product and it is not as good as they claim. NIB(new in box), I may break this rule.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
If you see something on CL or eBay, etc. that you have a question about, ask it here in Q-Talk. If you see something on CL, eBay, etc. that you just want the gang to know about, post that in General For Sale.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
GC8

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. While I'm in here though...I've found another little gem. What do you guys think? I've requested bigger/better pics but I just know I don't see these around very often. I'll obviously offer him less since that's how the game is played

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...884726310.html

Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Ron_L

That picture is a joke, but it looks like an old Bar-b-Q Kettle, probably pre- 1979, most likely older. Here is the Weber date code breakdown...

http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

It will cook just fine but I suspect that the price is inflated some because of the age. I see Weber kettles around here for under $50 all of the time. If you're not in a hurry, look for a 22.5" One Touch Gold in good shape. You can probably get one for $75 or less if you are patient. The ash catcher on the OTG is worth the extra money.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
GC8

Good info, thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Craigslist ads seem to come in spurts. I am in the OP's region and I often check craigslist for deals. Last year I picked up a Weber Summit gasser for $350. It is an incredible grill and I have enjoyed restoring it to almost new. I see black OTS weber kettles all the time on the Minneapolis listings. My target for them would be around $25. For a OTG I would shoot for $50. For a Performer my target would be $90-100. For a WSM my goal would be $150. Of course this is presuming good condition. I see a huge range in prices for old Genesis gassers. If you follow a few clean up threads here or on the Virtual Weber Bullet you can get a deal on one for under $100 and for another $50 in parts and some cleaning and a little labor you can have a nice gasser. I found a 2 burner Genesis Silver A with all stainless internals for a buddy for $70. Nothing was needed as far as repairs and he got his ideal grill for his type of cooking. Once in awhile you will find something rare like the yellow you posted. I think there was a 70's brown 26er the other day for $175. Standard pricing may go out the window for a truly rare one.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
GC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Craigslist ads seem to come in spurts. I am in the OP's region and I often check craigslist for deals. Last year I picked up a Weber Summit gasser for $350. It is an incredible grill and I have enjoyed restoring it to almost new. I see black OTS weber kettles all the time on the Minneapolis listings. My target for them would be around $25. For a OTG I would shoot for $50. For a Performer my target would be $90-100. For a WSM my goal would be $150. Of course this is presuming good condition. I see a huge range in prices for old Genesis gassers. If you follow a few clean up threads here or on the Virtual Weber Bullet you can get a deal on one for under $100 and for another $50 in parts and some cleaning and a little labor you can have a nice gasser. I found a 2 burner Genesis Silver A with all stainless internals for a buddy for $70. Nothing was needed as far as repairs and he got his ideal grill for his type of cooking. Once in awhile you will find something rare like the yellow you posted. I think there was a 70's brown 26er the other day for $175. Standard pricing may go out the window for a truly rare one.
This is a good guide...I'll keep it in mind.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm going to look at a couple basic 24" Weber today. Seller wants $40 for both or $25 for one. I'll probably use one for my next UDS build, might keep the other around for personal use since I do most of my quick cooks on a gasser.

My question: is $40 a good asking price for 2 webers?
DirtyDeedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Good thread idea, by the way.
DirtyDeedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Ron_L

Try setting up a search using ifttt.com for Weber Grill on Craig's List. You can set it up to send you an e-mail or text when a match comes up.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
GC8

Cool, nice tip. Let's keep the Craigslist finds/questions coming!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Quote:

I'd happily pay $15 for the Weber "Tuck and Carry" w/ the wood handle...

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. While I'm in here though...I've found another little gem. What do you guys think? I've requested bigger/better pics but I just know I don't see these around very often. I'll obviously offer him less since that's how the game is played

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cs...884726310.html
...and to me, if that really is a yellow Weber, $50 is not a bad price at all. Just my opinion, though. I like the older grills...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
GC8

Haven't heard a response on the yellow grill yet, so I'm calling it a loss at this point. Back to the search!