MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Got A Line On A Chubby G2

It's not new, about two years old. Used for ribs at comps. Guy says he'll let it go for $875. I see on Backwoods' site that it's a $1,400 cooker if you buy it new. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it. What say the Brethren?
wire-it-up is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it's in good/great shape, that's a great price imo. If I ran across a deal like and felt it was well taken care of it would be hard to say no and I don't need another smoker.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree. I thought the price sounded right. The guy texted me pics and said he needs to clean it, as he used it at a comp Saturday. He sent the pics Sunday. I have to haul it back to Indiana from my vacation time down south. Not sure how that's going to work, relative to fitting in the van. I know you are in Pensacola, so no arctic temps for you. But do you think the chubby would perform better in Northern Indiana cold and snow, being insulated and all? Better than my WSM, I mean. I do get hungry for Q in the winter, which can be quite long and dreadful here.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire-it-up View Post
do you think the chubby would perform better in Northern Indiana cold and snow, being insulated and all? Better than my WSM, I mean. I do get hungry for Q in the winter, which can be quite long and dreadful here.
Even here in Georgia I had troubles sometimes with my WSM in the cold and wind - would just suck the heat out of the cooker and I'd run through a load of charcoal in no time. Switched to a ceramic cooker and have added a Humprey's (similar insulated cabinet) and have no problems with the weather anymore.
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
KevinJ

Absolutely it will perform better, I was looking at a new G2 Chubby hard as a replacement for my WSM. I ended up buying a Hunsaker Drum instead because I really like hanging Ribs and Chicken, I also cook hot and fast but the I'm sure the G2 would cook at higher temps I like to cook at no problem. Like I said I don't need another smoker but if I ran across a G2 in good shape I'd have to snatch it up.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

Ceramic, as in a BGE or something similar? When I first got into this a couple of years ago, my dream cooker was a Kamado Joe, which I wanted to buy from Pensacola Hardware, ironically. That's where I bought my WSM. The Kamados were a little too expensive for my wallet though.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

I think I'm gonna get it. I hope it fits in the van with all of the luggage. I'm already putting the plan in place to make it happen. If I do bring it home, I'll post pics.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
KevinJ

Bought my WSM from Pensacola Hardware, I think Eggs are great cookers but they have never really interested me. I really wanted a G2 Chubby until I started using a Weber Hanging kit, would still love to have one even though the better half would be like what the heck.

Last edited by KevinJ; 06-06-2017 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

When did you get it? I bought mine in March of 15. Sold it when I left there about a year ago, but picked up an identical unit from my brother when I got back here. I love the Weber, but it has its limits. Not fun to clean, for one. But that may be true of any cooker. It's the only one I've ever used.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

Kevin, I think you and I PM'd a few times while I was down there. I believe you live on a side road off of my daily commute to and from work. I was there for two years, working at Pensacola Christian College. If we were still there, I'm sure we would have met in person by now. I'm thinking you could teach me better techniques than I currently use, as I still consider myself a novice. I bought tires at Vannoy's, which I think is close to where you live.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #11
KevinJ

Smoked on a Weber Performer for years and picked up the WSM in the Fall of 2015, sold it in March of this year. I liked the results I got off the WSM and they are similar to what I'm getting of the Drum but I like cooking on the Drum a whole lot better. It's sort of like trading in the Chevette for a Corvette.

I'd be stoked to cook on a BWS G2 as well.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #12
KevinJ

Quote:
Kevin, I think you and I PM'd a few times while I was down there. I believe you live on a side road off of my daily commute to and from work. I was there for two years, working at Pensacola Christian College. If we were still there, I'm sure we would have met in person by now. I'm thinking you could teach me better techniques than I currently use, as I still consider myself a novice. I bought tires at Vannoy's, which I think is close to where you live.
In 2015 I lived in East Hill and in the fall moved to a Subdivision off of Spanish Trail which is on the backside of Pensacola Airport.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

My commute took me down Michigan Street, which as I recall, had about 5 names between Blue Angel Parkway and Brent Lane. I see that the college finally got Rawson Lane given to them by Escambia County, or Pensacola (whoever had jurisdiction over it). Man, what a heated subject that was.

Anyway, good to see folks from Pensacola on here. We missed Indiana pretty bad, and didn't really know anyone down there. So it was a difficult couple of years. Homecomings are generally nice, and it was good for us to get back to family.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #14
KevinJ

Quote:
Anyway, good to see folks from Pensacola on here. We missed Indiana pretty bad, and didn't really know anyone down there. So it was a difficult couple of years. Homecomings are generally nice, and it was good for us to get back to family.
I can understand that, all most all of my family live in Columbus Ohio, I do wish I was closer to my mother and father because they are in their 70's and won't be around forever. I just liked the weather better and can Surf and Salt Water Fish down here which I love todo. Spending 20yrs in the Army traveling all over the world I learned home is where you make it at least for me anyways.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #15
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

So the military took you to Pensacola and you stayed? That seems to be the story for a lot of people there. Our next door neighbor was retired from the Navy. The neighbor on the other side was retired from the Army. My landlord was retired from the Army. The previous tenant in my house down there was retired Navy. It's a nice area. Pretty hot in the summer though. I grew up in North Alabama, and I thought it was hot there. Lived in Indiana for near thirty years, then moved to Pensacola. Man, I hadn't known hot before that. Then, when that cold wind starts blowing in the winter down there, I think because it's so damp, it sometimes felt as cold as here.