MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #1
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Default small catering startup

I am thinking of the idea of doing a small catering start up (Trailer type for shows, etc.).
I was wondering what I would need cookwise to serve up to 100 people.

I have a UDS atm & I can easily feed a lot of pulled pork & Briskets with that.
I would also like to offer Ribs & Chicken. I could easily make a 2nd UDS but...

I have had a look around & get a gas smoker (Bradley) for a reasonable price.

I was wondering what the food quality is like on them - or is that down to the pit master? ie me!

I think I need a trade off as a UDS may not look professional enough & put passers by off.
Eggtastico is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Highonthehog
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Start-Up

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice here! I cater on a regular basis for up to 300 people. I use a trailer "Drum" style smoker. Being from the Southeast I'm a bit of a purest. I only use top grade lump charcoal and my choice of smoking wood which is hickory in my big smoker. I have two other charcoal powered smokers for other types of food. I am a big believer in what you put in your smoker effects the outcome for a long time. There are many good commercial smokers on the market. Horizontal and vertical, insulated and not. Forums such as this are a great place to get a start understanding your needs.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, Here in the UK the BBQ scene is really starting to take shape. I was thinking of trying to do a popup with 2x Pubs - 1 in my local town & 1 in the nearest city. I dont want to plow dead money into something that may not work out for various reasons.
Just wondering The minimum I would need to cover 50-100 servings. If 2x UDS would do that, then Id start small with them. Mobility would have to be key to me. I agree about what you put into the smoker is what you get out. Im searching around atm for decent charcoal. It does not exist this side of the pond :(

Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Highonthehog
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Start-up

I lived in the UK for a few years. I know that they would love good BBQ and I understand the issue with finding good materials. You might consider making your own lump charcoal if you have a good supply of hardwood. There is a lot of information on the web about how to make good lump at home.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highonthehog View Post
I lived in the UK for a few years. I know that they would love good BBQ and I understand the issue with finding good materials. You might consider making your own lump charcoal if you have a good supply of hardwood. There is a lot of information on the web about how to make good lump at home.
I have found 2x local places in the Gower that make their own charcoal. I would want a sustainable source that is made the same way from the same trees, etc. Might take a drive over to pick some up.

Lumpwood I get now from superstores is rubbish.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

I really like your idea of starting small. You can invest in a setup to do 100 folks, get licensed and insured for a reasonable price.
Most importantly, talk with your Health Department. See what you need to become a caterer. One of the things they may say you need is a licensed kitchen. That can immediately change the game. Look for kitchens to rent or incubator kitchens.
We have two incubator kitchens neat Minneapolis. It's simply a kitchen that different businesses cook out of. Rent per use, or minimum use fee of $120 monthly.
The HD may also require you to have a food safety license. Thats an easy one day class in the US.
Another thing to consider since you are talking about making or purchasing additional smokers. Some states require an NSF(may be different in UK) certified smoker. That will increase your startup cost again. NSF smokers are generally more expensive than pits out there. In MN, there is a work-around I use which allows me to cook on a trailered Pitmaker Vault(non-NSF).

In terms of equipment for , here are a few starters:
- 4 chafing dishes(think 1 for your protein, 2 for sides, and one for misc.)
- 8 pans(for chafing dishes)
- 1 thermo box
- 1 large cooler
- large cutting board(HD's regulate what material can be used)
- 2 boning knives, 1 French knife, 1 stone
- 4 sauce bottles
- 2 - 6' or 8' tables

- biz cards
- start telling people you cater
- make samples for buinesses
- I am starting to target staffing agencies, because they are constantly buying lunches for their clients and potential clients.

I am on my second year of catering. Started very small with farmers markets. Got one wedding, one graduation, and a couple corporate vending dates.
This year we already have one wedding, one graduation, two consistent corporate vending gigs, and a few festivals and beer events.
Still going slow and steady.

Good luck

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Eggtastico
Full Fledged Farker

Hi Thanks for that,
In the UK, by law anyone selling food must have a qualification in food hygiene, handling & safety. Quite an easy qualification to study for (mostly common sense).

I have a well equipped home kitchen, so already have quite a few things on the list.

Things took a turn last week when I spotted a vacant unit on the beach front. It had previously been a food place, so no issues about planning. That got me day dreaming, until I realised I would have to quit my day job.

I will stick with the idea of doing a popup 2 evenings a week at a local pub & see if people actually like my food enough to pay for it!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke House Moe View Post
I really like your idea of starting small. You can invest in a setup to do 100 folks, get licensed and insured for a reasonable price.
Most importantly, talk with your Health Department. See what you need to become a caterer. One of the things they may say you need is a licensed kitchen. That can immediately change the game. Look for kitchens to rent or incubator kitchens.
We have two incubator kitchens neat Minneapolis. It's simply a kitchen that different businesses cook out of. Rent per use, or minimum use fee of $120 monthly.
The HD may also require you to have a food safety license. Thats an easy one day class in the US.
Another thing to consider since you are talking about making or purchasing additional smokers. Some states require an NSF(may be different in UK) certified smoker. That will increase your startup cost again. NSF smokers are generally more expensive than pits out there. In MN, there is a work-around I use which allows me to cook on a trailered Pitmaker Vault(non-NSF).

In terms of equipment for , here are a few starters:
- 4 chafing dishes(think 1 for your protein, 2 for sides, and one for misc.)
- 8 pans(for chafing dishes)
- 1 thermo box
- 1 large cooler
- large cutting board(HD's regulate what material can be used)
- 2 boning knives, 1 French knife, 1 stone
- 4 sauce bottles
- 2 - 6' or 8' tables

- biz cards
- start telling people you cater
- make samples for buinesses
- I am starting to target staffing agencies, because they are constantly buying lunches for their clients and potential clients.

I am on my second year of catering. Started very small with farmers markets. Got one wedding, one graduation, and a couple corporate vending dates.
This year we already have one wedding, one graduation, two consistent corporate vending gigs, and a few festivals and beer events.

Good luck
As someone looking to start out, your post was very insightful
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

LOW AND SlOW IT IS!
Sounds fantastic!
Care to share your menu ideas?? Thanks!
What are you cooking on?

Quote:
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Actually the menu in my head is better than the one on my site, but you can check it out.
SimplySmokedCatering dot com