• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jerked PTL and Chicken, Pron Heavy

Abelman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a long time and figured I was due. I have gotten some great stuff here and wanted to share this one. I have to admit, I don't remember where I got the jerked PTL recipe from but also decided to use the concept with chicken breats. Since they can be difficult to smoke without drying out, I wanted to test the trussing concept. Anyway, here's the deal:

If anyone ever asked me before on how to do a loin and/or a tenderloin, my answer was always grilling the tenderloin and you can smoke the loin. That all changed this weekend. I smoked the tenderloin and it was tender and moist. Here's how it worked.

The basic ingredients, there are two tenderloins in tha pack, which is pretty standard.

TwoTLandsomeJErk.jpg

I used basically 3 tablespoons of Walkerswood and mixed it up well for a 24 hours nap in the fridge:

3Tbland24hours.jpg

Now, the interesting part. I think this works because it involves 2 tenderloins. I laid the fat part on top of the skinny part. So, you basically have a uniform tenderloin. So, it stays moist during the smoke because of using two in this fashion:

Stack.jpg

Then, I took some butchers twine and trussed it up:

Trussed.jpg

The cooking part is easy. Threw some Apple wood chunks in the BGE and got her up to 300°, indirect heat. It took appx. 2 hours to hit 140° internal. Here's a shot about 90 minutes in I think (PS, the drippings on the foil is from an old smoke, no drippings from this at all):

HalfWay.jpg

Once done, I foiled it and let it rest in the cooler until dinner time. Was still nice and hot an hour later. Got it sliced up and ready to go. The taste and moisture were excellent. Even with the jerk, I was afraid the kids might find it too spicy when I started. That wasn't the case. It was a great jerk taste without over powering the tenderloin. Once sliced, no need for a knife at the table, it was fork tender:

Done1-5.jpg

Sliced-15.jpg

We finished one at dinner and the other will be sliced and vac packed for sammies, another meal, perhaps a brunswick stew later this winter.

and for the chicken:

Well, this is just really the same thing as the pork tenederloin cept it's chciken breasts.

Same stuff, Walkerswood Jerk Paste in fridge for 24 hours, apple wood, two breasts per truss, and 300° on the smoker. Took about 2 hours to get to 165° internal.

The prep:

Prep-7.jpg

Almost Done:

AlmostDone-3.jpg

Into the foil after 165° off the smoke and into the cooler til dinner time:

Done165-1.jpg

and sliced for dinner:

Sliced-16.jpg

Again, was very good and moist for breasts on the smoker. The trussing really helps as in the PTL in my opinion. With the jerk paste and sliced, it adds flavor but does not over power or seep too far into the meat. Both kids loved it. Turns out very tender and moist. Give it a try.

I may have gotten the original concept of this from here. If so, whoever posted it back when, I appreciate it and wanted to forward it along with a chicken chaser.

Thanks for sharing.
Walkerswood jerk seasoning will make a shoe taste good!

Hmm, I really like the trussing two chicken breast together idea. I've seen that with pork but never with chicken. I might just give that a shot. Yours looks mighty tasty! :thumb:

Bam! That easy! WW is the chit! :thumb:

Cheers

Adding this to my to-do list for sure!! Looks delicious Pete!
Good to see ya.. :grin:

That looks delicious! I haven't tried the walkerswood jerk before, definitely on the to do list.

Walkers is great stuff! I use the marinade (different product than you used above) all the time on wings and pork chops.

Great lookin PTL!

Back