competition grill--recommendations?

comfrank

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've got a BarBChef from BBQ Galore, and I dearly love it. But it's big and heavy and I'm tired of lugging it to competitions. Any recommendations for a smaller and lighter grill, one that's easy to load into my pick up truck but still would do a great job at a comp. Ninety percent of the use of this grill will be for finishing chicken and ribs, but occasionally I'll use it for the odd nonstandard category such as a chef's choice.

I'm thinking of getting a Weber one-touch gold 22.5" http://weber.com/grills/?glid=5&mid=24

but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd check here to get opinions on that grill or any other you might suggest.

Thanks,
--frank in Wilson, NY

If you just want a grill, you can't beat the weber kettles. You should check out craigslist as you can find them for much less than new. You may find a 22.5" silver fits your needs just fine, although the gold is nicer.

Agreed. Especially after Christmas when all the guys who found an expensive stainless gasser under the tree bow to pressure from their wives to "get rid of that dirty old charcoal grill", you should see scads of kettles on CL.

Those webers are nice, but have you cooked on a uds yet. It might make you want to deal with the size and weight...and its cheaper.

We use a pair of Weber Go Anywhere Charcoal Grills. ($45 each on Amazon Shipped free)

We put these on a Camp Chef Dutch Oven Table which is designed to hold dutch ovens with charcoal so it handles the heat no problem. This table has removable legs so it flat packs to a very shallow depth. You could go with a pair of Smokey Joe's as well but I like the modular nature of the Go Anywhere's. It is nice to have an extra table when not grilling. A drawback to the Go-Anywhere is that it is not deep. Meaning I actively manage and space out briquettes during competition cooks. I have no problem with this...I take it instead of the space hog that is a Weber Kettle.

Agreed. Especially after Christmas when all the guys who found an expensive stainless gasser under the tree bow to pressure from their wives to "get rid of that dirty old charcoal grill", you should see scads of kettles on CL.

I love it when people "upgrade" to gas...

Get a weber kettle and be done with it.

I had been hauling around a kettle most of the season, usually for one day comps that I cooked Tri-Tips or Salmon on. And occasionally zapping some chicken off the drum.
What I really wanted was to use a rotisserie at comps, and I picked up a Cajun Bandit
http://candcgrillinco.com/
and took a One Touch Silver (OTS) and drilled 3 holes for the leg kit and it was off n' runnin'!

With the rotis ring in place it is slightly taller than the 22" WSM

IMG_1079.jpg

It comes with a charcoal ring the same size as the 22" bullet-but I usually use either the ring from one of my 18" WSM or a homemade 11" ring for short cooks. I don't care what anyone say's- the big bullets are fuel hogs!

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

Use it without the charcoal ring, waterpan and center section and it is one stable kettle.
IMG_1392.jpg

You can't do that with a big bullet!

Brian, just looking at these makes me think 9-9-9! Get that to my table with minimal sauce and you've got good scores from me.

Back