Wicked (not so) Good Charcoal

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of WGC Weekend Warrior a few weeks ago. Just got around to trying it out last night for some steaks. I have to say, that I was not that impressed with it for grilling. I have yet to try it for smoking. First thing was it was very hard to light. Even with the weedburner. There was lots of popping, cracking and sparks flying everywhere. I finally got it lit and left the dome open for a few minutes to let it get going good. I closed the lid, set my vents for about 450* fire and went inside. I came back out about 15 minutes later and was shocked when I opened the egg. The entire inside was white. It looked like someone took a spray can of paint to inside of the egg. Even the grate and rig were white. You can see where I scraped a little bit off in the pic. I threw the steaks on. They turned out great. I rubbed them with DP Cowlick and Raising the Steaks and served with some twice baked taters.

I was also surprised at the amount of ash after the cook. Way more than RO lump. I think for half the price, less fireworks and less ash, I'll stick with RO.

white.jpg

steak.jpg

I had the same once with a couple of bags of argentinian "quebracho" lump charcoal.
There were sparks all over the place and a very fine white dust.

The importer said it happens every once in a while that they get some other type of wood mixed within wich sometimes slip through the random sampling. Got full replacement for those bags and it never happened again.

DM

Work great for me. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get the WGC fully lit cause its pretty dense. Weird that you had a problem with ash, my experience is the WGC produces very little. Maybe you just got a bad bag.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 201
Feel free to put your unused portion in my garage. I'm more than happy to use it.

I really like using Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, especially for smoking... Much to my dismay today my local supplier only had small bags! I find that it burns a little hot for grilling...but you learn to use it properly. I find almost no ash left over. I did a cook with charcoal recently...man the ash was about 4 times as much. What I like about it my smokers are that the pieces are large and look like real wood and they burn a long time. In my backyard cookers that means about 50% less hands on time...worth the extra cost. Royal Oak is my back up.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Have you thought about contacting them to see what they have to say about it? I suspect they want to keep their very good reputation and may work something out for you.

A couple years ago there were a bunch of reports of Kamado Extruded Coconut charcoal doing the same thing, but it wasn't consistent. Didn;t happen in every box or to every user.

Intereseting I have not experineced that with Cowboy or RO.

Agree that it sounds like a bad batch, I use this stuff nearly exclusively and it rocks, consistent heat and very low ash production.

Man, that is strange, never seen that happen to the rig. I'd be curious to see what the manufacturer says. T

Feel free to put your unused portion in my garage. I'm more than happy to use it.

I'll take it off your hands...I wouldn't use anything but!!!

I know some people say they have a hard time lighting it, but I've never had that problem...We use it for comp and at home...

Back