MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #12211
elkhorn98
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 1st uds

Picked up a food grade 55 gal drum that had blackberry puree in it for my 1st uds. Burned it out, used a grinder with a wire brush, high temp primer, high temp semi gloss black. Went with 4 3/4" nipples and 1 ball valve. Made a thermo port out of threaded lamp rod. Garage door handles. Weber charcoal grate with expanded metal and pizza tray attached for ashes. Went with 2 cooking grates 4.5" and 11" from the top. A diffuser will go on the 3rd weber rack above the charcoal basket and will use a pizza pan or pizza stone. Picked up 3 weber kettle exhaust dampers for the lid. I over burned the lid a little and it warped a little. Anyway to fix it?

elkhorn98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #12212
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

I have sat my charcoal basket on my second rack down for grilling before. My basket is just short enough that I can fit my top grate back in place the way it is supposed to be. It works great.

Now that I have my Big Poppa Smoker Drum, if I know I am going to be doing some reverse searing or grilling at all I will go ahead and use it instead of my other UDS.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #12213
bvbull200
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg View Post
I am truly amazed at the flavor and the speed of the Q that comes off the UDS...It is my and my wife's favorite smoker over our others Pellet and Propane and charcoal.
It's the smoker that the other smoker manufacturers hope you never learn about.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #12214
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

elkhorn98, you might get lucky and beat it back in shape with a rubber mallet. Or get it pretty hot again and lay it on top of the drum to cool.
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
Medium Big Green Egg(yard sale find)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #12215
Kakhuis
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Hi everyone. Glad to see the topic is still going strong. Sorry to bug you all with this question, but can find a straight answer/idea.
I have a narrow basket (diametor 37 cm). It is really hard finding anything wider here in Italy. My problem is the fat dripings. Driping on the basket is fine, but when the grill is full it drips on the outter edges. After a few cooks there is quite a bit of liquit at the bottem.

I was thinking that I need to make a wider basket to catch more drippings, or cut out a big circule from croard and cover it with foilly and place that under my basket. But then it will probally just run off when I try to take it out .

Any Ideas ?

Thanks
Kakhuis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #12216
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

You can use a large pizza pan. We use a 17"/43cm one and it works fine. Surely you can get them that size there.

Matt

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #12217
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakhuis View Post
I have a narrow basket (diametor 37 cm). It is really hard finding anything wider here in Italy. My problem is the fat dripings. Driping on the basket is fine, but when the grill is full it drips on the outter edges. After a few cooks there is quite a bit of liquit at the bottem.
Any Ideas ?
Thanks
I use the ashes left over from the cook to absorb any grease drippings. Might work for you. Pretty hard to get a good photo down at the bottom of the barrel.

ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #12218
Kakhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwfaith1971 View Post
You can use a large pizza pan. We use a 17"/43cm one and it works fine. Surely you can get them that size there.

Matt
You would think so, but I have looked and no luck.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #12219
Kakhuis

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I use the ashes left over from the cook to absorb any grease drippings. Might work for you. Pretty hard to get a good photo down at the bottom of the barrel.

Hi. That is what I am currently doing. But after a few cooks it gets mess and thick down there. Maybe I should not be so lazy and clean it say after 2-3 cooks

Old 09-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #12220
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hi. That is what I am currently doing. But after a few cooks it gets mess and thick down there. Maybe I should not be so lazy and clean it say after 2-3 cooks
Yeah I found if I let it go for 2-3 cooks, I have to scrape it to get it loose. For me, I now always clean after each cook or before setting up for the next one. Much easier on me in the long run.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #12221
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You would think so, but I have looked and no luck.
Wow.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle

Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #12222
bvbull200
Take a breath!

One has to appreciate the subtle irony of an Italian not being able to score a large pizza pan in his home country.

Kakhuis, I wish you luck. Can you find a big sheet of metal that you can just snip in to size?

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #12223
Kakhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
One has to appreciate the subtle irony of an Italian not being able to score a large pizza pan in his home country.

Kakhuis, I wish you luck. Can you find a big sheet of metal that you can just snip in to size?
Funny is it not. Pizza bought in the super market and then made at home is frown apon here.
Was thinking of that, but then problem is that my basket is a bit narrow and the fat drips just out side that and will "puddle" on the sheet and then when I lift it to take it out, it will lean to one side and then the fat will spill down to the bottem anyway. Maybe if I just sprinkle ass untill it absorbs it then try and lift the metal out ??

Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #12224
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Something else you could do/try, use a cheap aluminum drip pan under your food on your second shelf. Cover the aluminum pan with foil to make easy clean up. I do that a lot depending on what I'm smoking. The drippings make fantastic gravy base.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #12225
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Funny is it not. Pizza bought in the super market and then made at home is frown apon here.
Was thinking of that, but then problem is that my basket is a bit narrow and the fat drips just out side that and will "puddle" on the sheet and then when I lift it to take it out, it will lean to one side and then the fat will spill down to the bottem anyway. Maybe if I just sprinkle ass untill it absorbs it then try and lift the metal out ??
Is there enough room on the your sheet to add a couple of handles for easier lifting?

If not, you could do what bv suggested and make a ash catcher the size you need out of sheet metal (not galvanized) and put some handles on that.

Matt

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker