MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #8776
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
Sounds like your exhaust and valve setup is rather suspect. I think you will have better results if you just stick to the accepted norm from the beginning of this thread. Three 7/8" holes evenly spaced around the bottom of the barrel, with 2 close nipples and 1 valve, or just the magnet approach. I have both versions, and they both work equally well.

Your 2" exhaust should be fine.

I use the same setup you are describing as far as charcoal starting,etc. I open all three holes all the way, and dump in the coals.....I leave the valves open until the temp hits about 200 at the grates. Then close two holes and leave one open........it will cruise around 225 for 14 hours. Maybe you have some air leaks or too much smoke wood.
I was also going to add that another trick I have learned is to get everything setup on the cooker, grates in, lid on, and no meat until the cooker reaches its equilibrium. Mine seems to love about 230 degrees on an average 70-75 degree day. I let is sit there and just heat up for a good 15-30 minutes before doing any cooking. Putting cold meat in there on a cold grate will act like a big heat sink, and can give you false readings on your thermo. The fire is still the same, but the thermo makes you think you need to "stoke" everything up, and you will end up with lots of thick smoke and yo-yoing temps.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #8777
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokindave74 View Post
I was also going to add that another trick I have learned is to get everything setup on the cooker, grates in, lid on, and no meat until the cooker reaches its equilibrium. Mine seems to love about 230 degrees on an average 70-75 degree day. I let is sit there and just heat up for a good 15-30 minutes before doing any cooking. Putting cold meat in there on a cold grate will act like a big heat sink, and can give you false readings on your thermo. The fire is still the same, but the thermo makes you think you need to "stoke" everything up, and you will end up with lots of thick smoke and yo-yoing temps.
Great tip.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #8778
rhollar
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default two rack questions

This is for all of you that use a two rack UDS. I am building my third UDS and I am wanting to put two racks in this one. Question one is how far down do you put the top rack? I was thinking of 1 1/2 inches from the top and then 7 inches down for rack number two. What do you think or am I totally off. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
rhollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #8779
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollar View Post
This is for all of you that use a two rack UDS. I am building my third UDS and I am wanting to put two racks in this one. Question one is how far down do you put the top rack? I was thinking of 1 1/2 inches from the top and then 7 inches down for rack number two. What do you think or am I totally off. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
I use 1" and 7" for two rack smokers with a Weber lid.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #8780
agr347
Found some matches.

I have found a barrel at a local machine shop that held a "water-based coolant" He said it has no liner on the inside and is just bare metal. Do you guys think this would work for my barrel? I wasn't sure about the water based coolant having been in it? I can't find a food grade barrel with the open top. I don't have a kettle lid and haven't been able to find one thus far to go with a closed head type barrel.
agr347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #8781
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I make all of mine @ 3" and 7".
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #8782
nthole
Babbling Farker

I have mine at 5" below and 12" below the lip using a weber lid. This way I can get 2 butts on each rack without touching the lid or easily do beer can chicken on both racks. I have the bolts in place for the optional flower pot heat diffuser which lets me run it exactly like a WSM or take it out and just use the top rack traditional UDS style.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #8783
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

You'll be just fine with that , Norcoredneck used a barrel that contained water-based machine lubricant in his tutorial which can be seen here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Finding a food grade barrel only insures one thing , more work getting it cleaned out. As far as your kettle lid goes , they have a 22.5" grill at BigLots , that sells for $29 , you can use the lid and the grate out of it , not a bad deal really. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #8784
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
What the other guys said is fine, and it won't matter all that much. If you want pork butts as high as possible, need 6-7 inches from bottom of top grate to bottom of the lid. But for just small things on top, 3-4 inches is enough.

However I have abandoned my pre-drilling of grates and now use the grate-with-leg approach. I can't recall where on this forum, but there are some images. Essentially I make legs for my grates, from like 5 inches to 7 inches. I pre-drill holes for bolts at the lowest setting, where I'd put my heat-shield grate (with some angle iron pieces on it) and then I "stand" my other grates on top. That allows me to be flexible and quickly take things out and swap them around, and they can stand on their own like little tables when not in the grill.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #8785
rhollar
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default two racks

Thanks for all the responses, coewar do you have a photo of how you have your racks? Also are the legs zinc or stainless.
Nthole on yours having your lower rack 12 inches below do you have any issues getting burnt or too hot. New to this habit, I am now on my third UDS in less than 2 months, wife really don't complan now that she has found out when I smoke she don't cook. win win.
rhollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #8786
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

I've noticed a lot of people putting kettle lids on their UDS. Which is better the lid that came with the drum or a kettle lid? Why choose one over the other? Sorry I'm a newb about to begin making one for the 1st time.
ClintHTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #8787
thoraudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWayne View Post
I've noticed a lot of people putting kettle lids on their UDS. Which is better the lid that came with the drum or a kettle lid? Why choose one over the other? Sorry I'm a newb about to begin making one for the 1st time.
Kettle lid gives you more room on the top rack, but adds to the expense.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #8788
TurboDog

Choosing a kettle lid allows you to put two racks in your drum , and still have room to smoke tall thing on the top rack , like beer can chicken , or whole turkeys.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #8789
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog View Post
Choosing a kettle lid allows you to put two racks in your drum , and still have room to smoke tall thing on the top rack , like beer can chicken , or whole turkeys.
This will be the first time I have ever used a smoker. EVER! So I think I could just use the lid that came with he drum and scrounge for the time being for a kettle lid. As for right now 1 rack is enough for me. Just to get the hang of it.
ClintHTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #8790
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

I just got done building mine today. If I can do, then you can do it. I have no building sense at all. I followed all the tips here and it looks great. I can't say it was a cheap build, because I went with a new unlined drum, had to buy a step drill bit, new rack, expanded steel for the basket and stainless steel nuts and bolts. But I built it and I will cook on it. That's the most important thing. Have fun with your build Carl. Good luck.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker