MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #8761
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

No paint under the lid. Too close to the food and high heat.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #8762
Blkknt62
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default here we go!

Steel drum and most parts acquired! Build starting shortly. Thank you all for the weeks of reading and unbelievable inspiration.

I will post pics of the build and final Product when its done! Can't wait to start smoking!
Blkknt62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #8763
spareheat
Found some matches.

Help. I've done three burns now and can't get a blue smoke burn below 350 degrees. I have a 2" X 7" tall exhaust. 1" valve and a 3/4" valve then added another 3/4" hole. Tried opening the 1" bung also for more exhaust--little temp increase 15 degrees. Fire basket is 17" round and 10" tall, normal 3/4" expanded metal side and weber fire rack, 2 inch legs with ash pan. I used a mixed charcoal and lump the first two times more lump than bricks. Third time about 50/50. Putting 4 fist sized Hickory chunks on top of coal, but not on hot pile. Lighting 10 bricks in a chimney and pouring them in one six inch area( 2 and 3 burn). The first time I put them in a 10" area. OK so here's the problem---220 to 300 degrees only white smoke produced. Opening air to get a Blue smoke produces 350+ temp. Cannot get blue smoke AND 225 to 250 degrees. First burn was ribs, spent two hours trying to get above 225,finally got to 275, ribs not good. Second burn did two whole chickens--yo-yoed between 280 and 350, white smoke the whole time--chicken was terrible. Lots of juices in bottom of drum, had to clean and reburn out for bacteria. With a basket of hickory and the lid ajar, 700 degrees is possible. Third burn for chicken breasts and potatoes. Could not get above 250, white smoke. Added 3/4" hole,blue smoke acheived followed by 375 degrees. Reduced air = 300 degrees and light white smoke. Increase air = 350 dgrees and Blue smoke. Chicken was better but dry.

Any help appreciated.
spareheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #8764
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

It sounds like you might want to try to cut back the amount of charcoal you are lighting , try starting with 6 briquettes and see how you fair out with that. When you starve an already burning fire for oxygen you get white smoke(or worse, black) , so if you are starting with too much fire it would explain why it want to burn cleanly at a higher temperature than you are aiming for. Also , I might cut back on the chunks of wood , 2 fist sized chunks is a lot.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #8765
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareheat View Post
Help. I've done three burns now and can't get a blue smoke burn below 350 degrees. I have a 2" X 7" tall exhaust. 1" valve and a 3/4" valve then added another 3/4" hole. Tried opening the 1" bung also for more exhaust--little temp increase 15 degrees. Fire basket is 17" round and 10" tall, normal 3/4" expanded metal side and weber fire rack, 2 inch legs with ash pan. I used a mixed charcoal and lump the first two times more lump than bricks. Third time about 50/50. Putting 4 fist sized Hickory chunks on top of coal, but not on hot pile. Lighting 10 bricks in a chimney and pouring them in one six inch area( 2 and 3 burn). The first time I put them in a 10" area. OK so here's the problem---220 to 300 degrees only white smoke produced. Opening air to get a Blue smoke produces 350+ temp. Cannot get blue smoke AND 225 to 250 degrees. First burn was ribs, spent two hours trying to get above 225,finally got to 275, ribs not good. Second burn did two whole chickens--yo-yoed between 280 and 350, white smoke the whole time--chicken was terrible. Lots of juices in bottom of drum, had to clean and reburn out for bacteria. With a basket of hickory and the lid ajar, 700 degrees is possible. Third burn for chicken breasts and potatoes. Could not get above 250, white smoke. Added 3/4" hole,blue smoke acheived followed by 375 degrees. Reduced air = 300 degrees and light white smoke. Increase air = 350 dgrees and Blue smoke. Chicken was better but dry.

Any help appreciated.
I found this thread to be very heplful about loading the charcoal basket.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=109339

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #8766
Abscam
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Recon drum prep...burned it

OK.. Bought a recondition open head drum, drilled some holes and burned it out. Warped the lid a bit. Any best practices to straighten it?

Thanks.

Look forward to participating in the forums.
-cjd
Abscam
Abscam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #8767
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome Abscam!
I'm no help with that one. But I have to ask... why did you leave the lid on to do a burn out of the barrel?
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #8768
Abscam
Got rid of the matchlight.

I placed it over it later in the burn to help get rid of the paint on the lid as well as the glue that held the gasket. It wasn't on when the fire was blasting to start...
Abscam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #8769
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Understood. This may be a lose / lose either way because I took the paint off my lid with a wire brush on a drill and it doesn't fit right now when it did before. I heated the gasket with a propane torch, removed it and then burned the gunk out with a torch. Then I wire brushed it with the drill again.
It's a learning thing. :)
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #8770
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ok been reading about UDS for awhile and noticed some using 1/2 in nipples and some using 3/4. Which is best size and how many 3 or 4? 1/2 in ball vave or 3/4in? Sorry for the newbie questions just trying to get it right.
Thanks,
Lawdog's

Old 10-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #8771
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Lawdog - I used 2 nipples and one ball valve, all in 3/4".
In real use I rarely need more than the ball valve, so in my experience 4 would be too many.
Enjoy your build!
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #8772
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks Otterpop. I'll go with the 3 3/4 fittings. Seems like they would work better - more air = more adjustable to me.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #8773
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog's Smokewagon View Post
Thanks Otterpop. I'll go with the 3 3/4 fittings. Seems like they would work better - more air = more adjustable to me.
I mounted my (3) 3/4" pipe nipples 45 degrees apart on the front of the drum. Since only one is really used during cooking, I figured it didn't matter if the inlets were evenly spaced around the drum. Having them on the front is much more convenient. FYI, ball valve is 3/4".

-Rodney

Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #8774
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

I used four 3/4 inch pipe nipple for mine. I figured I'll only be using two to get the uds to temp and the ball valve for fine temp adjustments.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #8775
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareheat View Post

Any help appreciated.
Sounds like your exhaust and valve setup is rather suspect. I think you will have better results if you just stick to the accepted norm from the beginning of this thread. Three 7/8" holes evenly spaced around the bottom of the barrel, with 2 close nipples and 1 valve, or just the magnet approach. I have both versions, and they both work equally well.

Your 2" exhaust should be fine.

I use the same setup you are describing as far as charcoal starting,etc. I open all three holes all the way, and dump in the coals.....I leave the valves open until the temp hits about 200 at the grates. Then close two holes and leave one open........it will cruise around 225 for 14 hours. Maybe you have some air leaks or too much smoke wood.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker