MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #8731
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Bears View Post
Another question I have is regarding the stem size on a thermometer, what length would be sufficient?
Just don't waste you money on turkey thermometers. Both of mine were way off. RIP in the trash.
I replaced them with a couple of smokey joe thermometers from cabelas. They were about $15 each. Good for a quick glance at the temp.
I mainly used the ET-732.

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #8732
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

To get any burn out, you need to drill your draft holes. To get a really good burn out - force draft air into them. I think in the first mother of all UDS threads - a person hooked up a vent hole to his shop vac's exhaust. Pretty sure he glowed his drum.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #8733
Kenny Rogers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico4missions View Post
First let me say I'm the farthest thing from a Raiders fan. In fact, I'm a diehard Bronco fan; however, I do have a very close friend who is a Raider fan and thought this would be a great birthday present. This is my 2nd UDS build. My personal UDS is emphasizes on the "U" in UDS.

The handle is a Ham bone with multiple clear coats.

Tell me what ya think!
Wow, great Job Chico!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #8734
musman
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks to this thread, I finished up my smoker last weekend. Its not too Ugly, but it will do! Made some wings earlier in the week, just waiting on a free weekend to do something more substantial.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #8735
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

My old man always said measure twice cut once. In this case, I need to ask twice BEFORE I drill once. I'm using four 3/4 inch air inlets which will be three with caps and one with a ball valve. I measured the out diameter of the threaded pipe and it is one inch in diameter. From what I've read, I should use a 7/8 step drill bit to drill the holes in my drum for the 3/4 inch pipe to thread into it. Can someone please tell me if this is correct. I've bought all my threaded pipe and pipe caps in 3/4 inch. if I need to exchange it for something smaller, I would rather do it before I drill any holes. Thanks in advance.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #8736
GEORGIA CRACKER(FROM TEX)
Got Wood.

You need a 1" hole for the 3/4 pipe nipples. I used a hole saw for mine and the nipples fit tight. I backed them up with conduit nuts one inside, one outside.
GEORGIA CRACKER(FROM TEX) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #8737
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I used a 1" drill bit that looked like a giant regular bit. I couldn't afford to pay $50 bucks for a 1" step drill bit. Would have been nice, but thats a lot of cash. The big cartoon looking bit was $11. It got the job done.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #8738
10_Bears

For those that have the side air intake pipe, what are your pipes made of? I found a perfect sized pipe today for mine but it's galvanised. As it's actually outside the drum it shouldn't really matter, should it???
10_Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #8739
10_Bears

Also, what size basket does everyone have?
10_Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #8740
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

It would be fine. It's only job is air flow.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #8741
Disciple882542

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIA CRACKER(FROM TEX) View Post
You need a 1" hole for the 3/4 pipe nipples. I used a hole saw for mine and the nipples fit tight. I backed them up with conduit nuts one inside, one outside.
I used 1" pipe nipples on mine, which needed a 1 3/8" hole with the conduit nuts on front and back.

I couldn't find the hole size for 1" nipples on here so just wanted to make available to the group (went through a couple of $12 bits prior to finding the right size lol).

God bless,
Disciple

Old 10-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #8742
smokingj
Full Fledged Farker

Well it's finished......
Pics will be posted tomorrow when I can get the camera back from the gf.
Did a small test run this afternoon to test for leaks and to set the paint.......Looks GREAT!!!!! So far everything has been on the money.
Just wanted to say Thanks to the brethren and the site for getting me where I am today.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #8743
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

After trying a weed burner, Easy-Off, and three different paint strippers on the dreaded red liner, I did a burn this weekend with two pallets and a leaf blower. I just set the blower about two inches from each intake hole for about 15 minutes. Eight-foot flames out the top! I wouldn't try this in town. The next day the liner came out with just a light scrubbing with a scouring pad and water. Maybe this will help someone else who is stuck with a lined drum. I would have moved on to an unlined drum by now but 30 gallon drums are hard to find around here. Looks like it's going to make a nice mini-smoker for the bi-annual trips to Bristol Motor Speedway. I'm using a 16-quart stainless mixing bowl for a top. Will post photos next week.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #8744
MattCom
Take a breath!

This is a burn out I did last week. The opening is for the BGEE sliding door. There was not any liner it's a S/S drum that held Teatree Oil.
I used a leaf blower to get it going, but it didn't need any help. It was windy that day and it was a roaring flame. Now I just need to reassemble it and get cooking.
Damn my lawn looks green too!!!

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #8745
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Bears View Post
For those that have the side air intake pipe, what are your pipes made of? I found a perfect sized pipe today for mine but it's galvanised. As it's actually outside the drum it shouldn't really matter, should it???
Zinc, which is the plating on galvanized steel, doesn't melt until 787 degrees F, and it doesn't boil until ~1600 degrees F. The only hazard is zinc vapors, which definitely won't become mobile until above the melting point (and probably not until the boiling point, but don't quote me on that). Consequently, just don't use it on your charcoal basket and it'll never be a problem. Nothing else gets anywhere near that hot in a smoker.

Some here will say "better safe than sorry", but especially since zinc vapors are only a hazard if you inhale them, and a significant quantity of them at that, it's kind of a stretch.

FYI, some people here use a PVC pipe as a smoke stack, and that works fine. When smoking at 225, I can literally lift the lid off of the smoker with my bare hands, especially if I use my 2" galvanized pipe smoke stack as a handle. That should give you an idea of how hot the smoke stack (doesn't) get during use.

-Rodney
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker