MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #8716
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Most of us cook with the exhaust "wide open" but with eight one-inch holes you might lose too much heat. Just close half of them and smoke on. You'll adjust the temperature with the intakes near the bottom. For me that usually means three 3/4" holes open to start, 1.5 holes open for 250 degrees, and 1.25 holes open for 225 degrees. Adjust to suit your drum. I use magnets to cover the intake holes. If you use the magnets with hooks to cover your exhaust (Harbor Freight part #98502), just stick them on the side of the drum while cooking to hang your spatula, fork, etc.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #8717
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Here are the square inch area of the holes:
1 ea. 2" bung = 3.14
4 ea. 7/8" = 2.40 (weber wheel vent)
4 ea. 1/2 = 1.57

I have 2 weber wheel vents on my weber top UDS and I have them both all the way open all the time = 4.8 SQ inches. I control the air at the bottom for temp.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #8718
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

I finally wrapped up my first UDS build yesterday and threw on a couple of fattys and bacon Spams for the inaugural cook.

The old Brinkman never gets used any more so I pulled the internal rack holders and handles to install on the UDS.

The lid cutout was trimmed and a lip hammered around it to serve as the ash catcher beneath the fire basket.

The only welding I did on this one is the pipe in the lid. Everything else was done without a cutting torch or welder.

I did have trouble getting it up to temp but I think it is lack of a sufficient exhaust vent. The motorcycle exhaust pipe is not very big and I had to keep all three caps off and the ball valve wide open to even get close. 200 is the best I ever got out of the UDS so the plan is to drill another hole in the lid and see what that does. Could always put another couple of chrome exhaust pipes on it. My kids think it looks cool.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #8719
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
I finally wrapped up my first UDS build yesterday and threw on a couple of fattys and bacon Spams for the inaugural cook.

The old Brinkman never gets used any more so I pulled the internal rack holders and handles to install on the UDS.

The lid cutout was trimmed and a lip hammered around it to serve as the ash catcher beneath the fire basket.

The only welding I did on this one is the pipe in the lid. Everything else was done without a cutting torch or welder.

I did have trouble getting it up to temp but I think it is lack of a sufficient exhaust vent. The motorcycle exhaust pipe is not very big and I had to keep all three caps off and the ball valve wide open to even get close. 200 is the best I ever got out of the UDS so the plan is to drill another hole in the lid and see what that does. Could always put another couple of chrome exhaust pipes on it. My kids think it looks cool.
It's gonna take a min of 2" of exhaust to make your drum heat adjustable.
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #8720
Davefx
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thank you for the info. I will go to HF today and see if I can fine the magnets.
Davefx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #8721
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARican View Post
It's gonna take a min of 2" of exhaust to make your drum heat adjustable.
I kinda thought so. I'll add some more exhaust this weekend and do another run.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #8722
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Aside from the weed burner or grinding off the paint with an angle grinder, whats the next best way to remove the external paint? I purchased an unlined brand new barrel but im going to assume that the outer paint will burn off and make it look too ugly
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #8723
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTJB View Post
Aside from the weed burner or grinding off the paint with an angle grinder, whats the next best way to remove the external paint? I purchased an unlined brand new barrel but im going to assume that the outer paint will burn off and make it look too ugly
If you can burn, use some old cut up pallets. The paint they put on barrels is pretty weak. Mine came right off. I did a burn after I had all my vents & welding finished. Cleaner to work with when its not all chared.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #8724
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTJB View Post
Like Pappy said, after you get the holes drilled and the welding done (if needed) do a burn. The outside paint should bubble and I used an abrasive 3M drill attachment to "sand" off the remaining residue. There are also paint removing flapper wheels for angle grinders that work really well. Then, it's ready for your hi-temp paint.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #8725
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

I need some help regarding measurements. I have a 55 gallon drum which is 34 inches tall. I understand that the rack needs to be 24 inches away from the top of the firebox. I am going to make a charcoal basket 12x12x6 inches tall. I was gonna put two inch legs on it for ash drop/air flow. So I figure 8 inches plus 24 inches to the top rack equals 32 inches. This gives me only 2 inches of clearance between the lid of the drum and the rack. How can this work? Should the cooking rack be 24 inches from the top or BOTTOM of the charcoal basket. Once again, thanks in advance.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #8726
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

24 From the bottom of the basket. Use 3" legs.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #8727
10_Bears
On the road to being a farker

I'm from Australia and new to this forum and new to smokers. I'm about to build myself an ugly drum smoker and I apologise in advance if my question has already been covered. I was able to get my hands on an open head drum. It is clean of linings and clean of paint on the inside. My question is regarding what it was carrying, it had paint in a bladder inside the drum, so nothing was actually touching the walls. There have been a few small splashes on the lid though and it has a reasonably strong paint smell. On the side of the drum with the flammable warnings is a skull and crossbone. Do you guys think it will be ok to use, keeping in mind it had paint in it, but in a bladder. Any help would be much appreciated.
10_Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #8728
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10_Bears View Post
On the side of the drum with the flammable warnings is a skull and crossbone. Do you guys think it will be ok to use, keeping in mind it had paint in it, but in a bladder. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sounds like it will make a really cool looking smoker! :) Take some pics.

My guess is it would be fine, after doing what pretty much everyone does. Clean it out well and scrape any imperfections with something like a drill and scraping attachment or grinding wheel. Cleaning with denatured alcohol may be needed, or just dish washing soap. I touch the insides and smell to gauge how much cleaning it takes.
Then burn it out.. drill the holes you'll need for intakes.. and put some wood in it and leave the top off. Careful! With just a little bit of wood, that thing will get crazy hot! If the skull picture is of bad quality, it will melt off.
After you do this initial burn for a few hours, scrap some more and clean it to get rid of the soot. Then rub it down all over well with a cooking oil (olive oil works great) and then do another burn but with your charcoal basket and at about 350 degrees. This will create a very nice and strong coating all over, so if there is any residue left that might be harmful or make food taste bad, it ought to be covered up.

Now maybe the skull thing was for what was in the barrel even before the paint?
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #8729
Davefx
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Square fire box

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingj View Post
Hey folks.

Going to be starting my 1st build soon and have 2 questions:
1. Is there a search function on this site? That way I can search instead of having to ask a question that's probably been answered 1000 times.
2. Is it ok to run a square firebox instead of a round one inside a drum? I was thinking of a 12x12x8 square for my unit.

Thanks for the help/input.
That is the size fire box I have. I just got done with my first UDS and did a test run. It worked great and held the tem. great.
Davefx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #8730
10_Bears
On the road to being a farker

Another question I have is regarding the stem size on a thermometer, what length would be sufficient?
10_Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker