MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #8671
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
I thought it sounded really cheap since I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of 16 gauge from them a few months ago for around $80. He never said if the expanded sheet was #9 or something else but I need something pretty heavy.
Whatever the price mmmmmeat and I only live a few miles apart and we both need fire baskets and I want shelves, etc. We need to tag team a 4 x 8 sheet.

I guess I'm lucky.....in Nashville(TN), we have a Metal scraps store.......I paid $16 for a 11" x 48" piece of #9 expanded metal that was a scrap. And for the included price, I got another piece of it for the bottom of my basket. That was also scrap and was about 11" by 14" that I trimmed to fit the circle of the basket. I can buy anything there that is considered scrap. As long as it is in my ability to form or cut or weld it, it is way cheaper than buying full length or sheets of the same material.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #8672
dob49737
Got rid of the matchlight.

I am new to this UDS build, but I have read so many threads from this forum that I feel like I know what I am doing when I buy things and the drum....I am going to keep looking and will post pics as I go. I started today so I will post pics of what I have done today, please feel free to give me any information that you feel will make things better, tomorrow I will do the burn out. Today: Got the barrell...(Olive Oil Barrel closed top). I cut off the top (took 2 inches off the top so the it's now 32 inches tall. Cut out 4 intake holes at the bottom (1 inch)...I have a webber kettle grill top 22.5 inch that fits great ( waiting for the smoke test to see if its air tight..if not I will get a stove gasket to help it out).........
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1
dob49737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #8673
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankll View Post
I guess I'm lucky.....in Nashville(TN), we have a Metal scraps store.......I paid $16 for a 11" x 48" piece of #9 expanded metal that was a scrap. And for the included price, I got another piece of it for the bottom of my basket. That was also scrap and was about 11" by 14" that I trimmed to fit the circle of the basket. I can buy anything there that is considered scrap. As long as it is in my ability to form or cut or weld it, it is way cheaper than buying full length or sheets of the same material.
Maybe not so lucky my friend. The scraps didn't happen for me so I ordered a 4 x 8 sheet of 13 Gauge. (Hope it's thick enough) 1" hole for $24 plus tax. Mmmmmeat and I are going to split the cost and the sheet. So we will each get a 2' x 8' piece for around $14 each. This will allow us to build our charcoal baskets and leave material for shelves I think. Hope it turns out to be a good deal for us.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #8674
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Where did you get your expanded metal from? I have seen in the past where others have ordered off of Amazon. It might be nice to have a separate thread where people can compare sizes and prices to see what works best.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #8675
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

That might be a good idea but shipping costs would be pretty high. I ordered ours from an Ornamental Steel & Iron shop that's about 25 miles away in a larger town. They didn't have any in stock so they had to order it. Had no luck here where I live finding anything.
Not sure what size 13 ga expanded metal is but if a 13 ga wire is close it should be fine. The box stores in my area that had E M were way high for 4 x 4 pieces. Hope this helps.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #8676
dob49737
Got rid of the matchlight.

i was at a welding shop today in my home town, he gave me an estimate for a 9 gauge round grate apprimately 22.5 inch in size...told me that each would be about 11.54 each....so way thicker steel and will last for a long time..than the webber grill grate....most expensive part would have been the labor......20 dollars.......so for both grates it would have been 42 bucks....18.99 for the webber grills at home depot.....so for about 6 more dollars you could get super thick expanded metal grates........if you have a welding shop in your town, stop by it might be a better deal in the long run
dob49737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #8677
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm in the process of building my 3rd UDS. I've had all my barrels burned out and sandblasted so they were bare metal when I painted them. I've done the same with my third barrel. My first two I painted with high heat primer and then painted them with engine enamel. My question is would I be able to skip the priming process and just paint them with the engine enamel since they are bare to save a little time and money?
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #8678
colonel00

I have never used primer and I have yet to have any problems.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #8679
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks zacman, for the sign idea. I just put it on my cooker. Family and friends thought it was pretty cool during last night's cook.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #8680
colonel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
That might be a good idea but shipping costs would be pretty high. I ordered ours from an Ornamental Steel & Iron shop that's about 25 miles away in a larger town. They didn't have any in stock so they had to order it. Had no luck here where I live finding anything.
Not sure what size 13 ga expanded metal is but if a 13 ga wire is close it should be fine. The box stores in my area that had E M were way high for 4 x 4 pieces. Hope this helps.
Actually, you can get free shipping. Here is an example. It is a thinner gauge but should hold up fine for the sides of a charcoal basket. 48" x 48" for $32 shipped. A 24"x 24" cut of similar expanded metal is $20 at Home Depot.

Amazon.com: Carbon Steel Expanded Metal Flat Sheet, 3/4" LWD Diamond Openings, 0.075" Thick, 74% Open Area, 48" Width, 48" Length: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415BlkVVzTL.@@AMEPARAM@@415BlkVVzTL

Old 09-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #8681
IdahoBBQBen
Found some matches.

Hey All -

Wanted to share some pics of my UDS build. It is smoking as we speak. Couldn't be happier with the outcome! What a functional and efficient smoker!
I didn't want to cut corners as this is something that I plan to use and have around for a long time. I bought a used Weber kettle off of Craigslist and fabricated legs, handles, brackets for the double 22.5" grill grates, as well as three pipe nipples evenly spaced around the base (one of which has a vertical pipe for ball valve).

After it was all finished I had it powder coated in a black hammered finish and installed two external read thermometers as well as two thermometer probe grommets. This was coupled with a replacement handle for the lid and a ball valve on the end of the lazy man's air intake.

All in all it came together better than I had expected! The seasoning smoke was yesterday and I now have Moink Balls smokin away! This was a fun build and anyone considering it should do it! I couldn't be happier with the final outcome. Total cost with materials and labor came out at approximately $225.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1170378...6156/UDSBuild#

Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #8682
M.A.D.
Found some matches.

Default Wicked!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacman View Post
This is the greatest thread ever I read the entire thing, took notes and then planned my own UDS. I thought I should post it on this thread as I got so much inspiration from here. I created my own build thread if you want to see all the Pictures (75+) and steps along the way. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=116286

Here she is, Enjoy!

Beautiful!

Awesome!

Good work!
M.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #8683
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

That is just awesome. I just built 2 UDS's the last couple of weeks, and I'm humbled by this! Nice job
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #8684
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
I have never used primer and I have yet to have any problems.
Thanks colonel. I think i'm going to give it a shot.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #8685
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold
Default It's official

I have read all 8,694 post on the thread. I have to say all the brethren on this thread really annoy me. In my intro on Cattle Call I spoke of wanting to build my own smoker that "will hold a constant temp without having to adjust and add water etc every hour or so" @Rookie'48 said "I can't believe that no one else has said this yet, so I'll be the first: "Build a UDS!" First I had to see what the heck UDS stood for. When I found out I thought what the heck would I want to build an ugly smoker out of a drum for? I had already been researching MIG welders and doing all my homework on building a Stumps Clone. I was still going down that path when I was looking through the forums one day when I found this monster thread with over 8,000 posts. What on earth could be so fascinating to generate that number of posts??? I started reading and like so many before me came to the realization that this thing called a UDS fit what I was looking for. Here I was all ready to buy a welder and spend lots of money on steel and everything else and the brethren here ruined that for me. See why I am annoyed? ;) Ok, so I can be just a little facetious at times, lol. I started looking for used Webers and found a 18.5 for $5.00 at a garage sale listed on CL. I started looking at drums and then I found a bargain, a brand new 55 gallon unlined open drum with lid for $30.00. When I went to look at the drum I measured it knowing I wanted to upgrade sometime to a dome lid. It was a little too big measuring 23 1/2 and 23 top and bottom. The gentleman asked me if that was ok and I said I was hoping for a slightly smaller drum. He said try this one. It is what we call a "narrown head drum" Bingo! 22.5" on the nose! Priced the expanded today with a 12"x48" piece of flat expanded 3/4" #9 for $9.00 bucks. Looks like I have caught this sickness like the rest of you...lol.
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker