MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #8641
hdmcgatha
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Guys, just a quick question. I scored two open top drums that had Adhesion Lacquer in them. If I burn them out and wire wheel or sand disk the inside then wash with soap and water will they be safe to use. I am only up to page 426 but working on getting here soon. This is my first UDS build. I will post as I go along. There is a lot of great ino here.
hdmcgatha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 AM   #8642
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice party people you have there......and the bottle trick is sexy, too.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #8643
M.A.D.
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmcgatha View Post
Guys, just a quick question. I scored two open top drums that had Adhesion Lacquer in them. If I burn them out and wire wheel or sand disk the inside then wash with soap and water will they be safe to use. I am only up to page 426 but working on getting here soon. This is my first UDS build. I will post as I go along. There is a lot of great ino here.
Test a patch...Use a plumber's torch and the wire wheel. If that works, prepare for a nice hot burn...
M.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #8644
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm way into this thread and haven't found or missed any mention of using aluminum expanded metal for the charcoal basket. The melting point is 1220 degrees F. Any health issues involved?
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #8645
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

I think the longevity would suffer with aluminum, ive still gotta build my fire basket for mine, stol waiting for sutherlands to restock, probably this week. What diameter are you planin for your basket?

Posted from my fancy android fone!!
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8646
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Default drums in va

delete
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #8647
spareheat
Found some matches.

While reading this thread, I thought of useing the UDS as a grill also ( like others ) I thought of using chain to hold the firebasket closer to the grates so it could be grilled on or lowered to the bottom to be a smoker. It works quiet well. Then yesterday I ran across the " D-M**tBarrel " on youtube. Has anyone seen these? Basicly it is a UDS that hangs the meat instead of racking. It has a rack on chains to adjust the height to the fire but the rack is for pan food. The meat hangs on hooks and rods. They adjust the exhaust instead of the intake (don't like that). It has nice shelves though. I am NOT promoting this product. Nor am I affiliated in anyway to this company. This is NOT an advertisment. I had planned on smoking homade Bacon in my UDS by hanging and using a cold smoke generator. Has anyone done this?
spareheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #8648
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareheat View Post
While reading this thread, I thought of useing the UDS as a grill also ( like others ) I thought of using chain to hold the firebasket closer to the grates so it could be grilled on or lowered to the bottom to be a smoker. It works quiet well. Then yesterday I ran across the " D-M**tBarrel " on youtube. Has anyone seen these? Basicly it is a UDS that hangs the meat instead of racking. It has a rack on chains to adjust the height to the fire but the rack is for pan food. The meat hangs on hooks and rods. They adjust the exhaust instead of the intake (don't like that). It has nice shelves though. I am NOT promoting this product. Nor am I affiliated in anyway to this company. This is NOT an advertisment. I had planned on smoking homade Bacon in my UDS by hanging and using a cold smoke generator. Has anyone done this?
D-Meat Barrel Smoker $400.00 My UDS $100.00

Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #8649
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

For those of you considering buying a Uni-Flame 22.5" (knockoff Weber) grill at Walmart and using the dome, don't do it. It is 0.5" smaller than the Weber. Plus it is very cheaply made. The one that I got was not even completely round. Very poor quality. I ended up ordering a dome lid from Weber for $52.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #8650
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Several UDS designs have 3/4" fender washers over the 3 (or 4) intake valves. My questions is why? What does this do? The 3/4" nipples screw directly into the barrel and would seem to be airtight (or very close).

I don't mind adding them, just not sure of their value...
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #8651
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheRedZoneBBQ View Post
Several UDS designs have 3/4" fender washers over the 3 (or 4) intake valves. My questions is why? What does this do? The 3/4" nipples screw directly into the barrel and would seem to be airtight (or very close).

I don't mind adding them, just not sure of their value...
I think they use the washer only if there hole got a little big when drilling it. Mine screw in nicely. I did use a conduit nut on both sides just to be on the safe side..

Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #8652
bowa
Found some matches.

One from Germany
bowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #8653
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I don't use fender washers, but do use conduit nuts. They helped lock in the nipple so it would not twist when a cap got a little stuck. Of course eventually the hole opened up, and they did the entire job of keeping the nipple in place.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #8654
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
I think the longevity would suffer with aluminum, ive still gotta build my fire basket for mine, stol waiting for sutherlands to restock, probably this week. What diameter are you planin for your basket?

Posted from my fancy android fone!!
I'm going to use an ECB grill grate for now to see how it works, so I think around 16" diameter. Never measured it though.
I went but the steel place on 6th last week to see if they had any scraps. Guy said no but he would check their other location and bring some over if they had any. I'll check back Friday. He did say a 4' x 8' sheet was around $20. Sounded way cheap compared to what I saw in Sutherlands and Homo Depot for half that.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #8655
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5150 View Post
I think they use the washer only if there hole got a little big when drilling it. Mine screw in nicely. I did use a conduit nut on both sides just to be on the safe side..

Thanks. I used the conduit nuts as well, just didn't see the value in the washers, thought I was missing something...

I'll skip them.
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker