MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #8596
tuliku
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Nope, doing that now.

=edit= now after closing down to 200 F.

Last edited by tuliku; 09-07-2011 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: update
tuliku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #8597
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

Is air able to get under the bottom side of your basket? It's not solid on the bottom is it?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #8598
tuliku

The bottom is solid, here's a better pic:

Should I drill holes at the side of the bottom pan ?

Last edited by tuliku; 09-07-2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #8599
traderbbc
Found some matches.

The only thing looking at your ash catcher it almost seems like the sides are at the bottom level of your charcoal grate. Hard to tell by the photo, are your bolts from the bottom of the catcher 3" above meaning 3" from the bottom of the catcher to the grate? If the sides of the catcher are really close to the bottom of the grate looks to me you really don't have much airflow once the coals ash starts dropping. If you want to keep the catcher I am guessing drilling holes around those sides probably ain't gonna hurt and actually I think your problem is the more I look at it - airflow. I used a 16" pizza pan from Wally World which has very little lip on it and I think it cost 3 bucks or 3.50. Keeps the basket lower as I bolted thru the bottom of the pan and with a bunch of washers and nuts the grate is 3" from the bottom of the pizza pan so the pizza pan just sits on the bottom of the barrel with the bolt heads holding it off the bottom.
traderbbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #8600
tuliku

Correct, the edge is same height as the bottom of the basket.
I'm gonna drill 3/4 inch holes around it now, buy some new charcoal and report back in about 1 hour from now.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #8601
tuliku

Drilled all the holes around:

Made a small hole in the middle and put the red hot coals in.

Within 15 minutes, it went up to 240 F.
Added also two small pieces of applewood:

Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 AM   #8602
tuliku

Half hour later at 280 F :-)

= edit =
Another half hour later at 320 F :-)
Me so happy, looks like it works properly now, but still, any comments / advice for improving are very welcome !

== edit ==
Another half hour later still at 320 F.
I guess this is the max temp then
To try to get it hotter, i closed 1 of the 3 pipes. The daisy lid was all the time closed.

Last edited by tuliku; 09-08-2011 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 09-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #8603
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
Half hour later at 280 F :-)

= edit =
Another half hour later at 320 F :-)
Me so happy, looks like it works properly now, but still, any comments / advice for improving are very welcome !

== edit ==
Another half hour later still at 320 F.
I guess this is the max temp then
To try to get it hotter, i closed 1 of the 3 pipes. The daisy lid was all the time closed.

Nice UDS Lets see how it cooks

Your basket that's not galvanized steel IS IT? Also have you checked your thermometer in some boiling water?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #8604
tuliku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5150 View Post
Nice UDS Lets see how it cooks

Your basket that's not galvanized steel IS IT? Also have you checked your thermometer in some boiling water?
Euhm... Actually, i don't know.. the bottom of one of those cheap grills.. When i pushed my drill in it, the paint or whatever it is, jumps off.
The sides is made from 2 layers of fence material. I used a flamethrower on it, it will get red hot, but not melt away. Further it's quite flexible.
Is that a bad thing ?

Last edited by tuliku; 09-08-2011 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #8605
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Uh oh, the galvanized police are patrolling!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #8606
Seachaser
Knows what a fatty is.

I thought all outdoor fencing was galvanized. (Guess there is no such thing as indoor fencing?)
Seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #8607
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Here is what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Hi guys.. just browsing and saw some interesting maybe unanswered questions.

hankll - burn it out! especially the one that had antifreeze. Clean it with something like dish soap at least, or something like alcohol-based cleaner.

I did go ahead and burned it out, mainly because I wanted the exterior paint removed, as well as to remove any of the residue of the chemical. Incidentally, this was oak and bark from my firewood. It burned for about 5 hours. and cooled completely while I was at work. My guess - yea, it is a very hot temp!

hankll & Drumbum77 - Then BURN it out at a high temp, close lid, should do like a good 400 degrees for an hour at least? Or just let it finish the fuel. (any kind of wood helps create lots of heat. Be careful! not too much!)

Then using my buffer with a wire brush normally used on a bench grinder, I scrubbed it out, which removed any of the soot from the fire and any remaining paint. Then I rinsed it out and let it dry. I didn't think to oil it but did do a smoke of some ribs for a trial run. Unfortunately, I failed to remember to take pictures of the grub!

My friend did this with his drum using olive oil and it came it amazing. Looks as if he carmalized it inside.

Well, its all done now and sitting pretty beside my deck for instant use..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg That is hot! (Medium) (2).JPG (65.3 KB, 837 views)
File Type: jpg laid over to heat better (Medium).JPG (62.6 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg buffer wheel brush a.jpg (69.6 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg buffer wheel brush.jpg (74.1 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg smoker after first burn 005.jpg (145.7 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg smoker after first burn 001.jpg (47.2 KB, 833 views)

Last edited by hankll; 09-08-2011 at 12:51 PM..
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #8608
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
Uh oh, the galvanized police are patrolling!
Not policing just asking! It's his UDS I am sure he has all the info on galvanize parts

Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #8609
tuliku

Galvanized parts are bad for using....?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #8610
traderbbc
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
Galvanized parts are bad for using....?
If its galvanized and I am not the galv police I would not use it and most likely it is if its outdoor fencing as the outdoor fencing usually is treated so it doesn't rust. Now does that mean anything will happen to you based on how high the temp gets in a smoker, probably not. If you were welding it thats a different story and if you used galvanized bolts dropping them in vinegar works, takes a few days but it works. I used zinc bolts for my basket stainless for the cooking grates but I did drop the zinc bolts in the vinegar for a few days, I was just being cautious. I used expanded metal which most on here do, if you have a home depot they have a 12x12 piece here anyway for 10 bucks. I took my skill saw and cut it in half so I had a basket 6" high had to bolt the 2 pieces together as my charcoal grate is 13.5 diameter I think, you have enough to have about a 1" gap from the side of the edge. I just used ties from copper wiring to attach it to the grate, works fine and half full of charcoal last weekend doing ribs it burned better than 5 hours and more if I had not shut it down. Not an expert by any means, I figured drilling the wholes would solve your problem one picture looks like you didn't drill all around the edge if you didn't I would do that. If you get to 320 not much would be cooked above that if anything, its a smoker not a grill.
traderbbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker