MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #8566
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Perhaps you simply don't have enough charcoal lit in the basket to start with.
Even with bad charcoal you should easily be able to go much higher than 120F.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #8567
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
The bottom and the top vents are all 2 cm / 0.8 inch.
This should be the same as a 3/4" ?
(1 inch = 2.54 cm)
As long as you're know the 3/4" is the inside diameter. Actually, it's more like .8125" ID for a regular threaded black pipe nipple from the home center.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #8568
pirate94
Found some matches.

Default No Smoke??

I am two hours in to my maiden smoke on just finished UDS. Temp is holding strong bettween 225-250. However the smoke has stopped a few times. I have added chips several tmes in two hours. I am using a propane burner as a heat source, with a cast iron skillet on top to put my chips in. Where did I go Wrong?

Last edited by pirate94; 09-04-2011 at 05:19 PM..
pirate94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #8569
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate94 View Post
I am two hours in to my maiden smoke on just finished UDS. Temp is holding strong bettween 225-250. However the smoke has stopped a few times. I have added chips several tmes in two hours. I am using a propane burner as a heat source, with a cast iron skillet on top to put my chips in. Where did I go Wrong?
It sounds like you didn't get your coals started well and they burned out.

I hear about using weed burners to start the coals, but I've only ever used a chimney, and it works perfect every single time. Once started well, you should never have to add anything to the fire.

I'm not sure I follow you on the cast iron skillet for chips. Generally, you just put your smoke wood in with the coals, and make sure some are on the top so they get going initially. Dry, not soaked in anything.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #8570
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Try wrapping the chips in foil or use wood chunks instead on the skillet. Chips directly on the skillet will burn out quickly I would imagine. Your UDS is almost like a gas grill with open vents for the burner. Wood chips should be wrapped in foil.

Also, be extra cautious to make sure you have no trapped gas in the drum prior to lighting.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #8571
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

pirate why are u using a burner for your heat source and not a bed of coals?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #8572
pirate94
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondini View Post
pirate why are u using a burner for your heat source and not a bed of coals?
I thought it would be easier to control the temp. and easier cleanup. It shouldnt matter coal or propane, heat cooks, smoke flavors.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #8573
pirate94
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
It sounds like you didn't get your coals started well and they burned out.

I hear about using weed burners to start the coals, but I've only ever used a chimney, and it works perfect every single time. Once started well, you should never have to add anything to the fire.

I'm not sure I follow you on the cast iron skillet for chips. Generally, you just put your smoke wood in with the coals, and make sure some are on the top so they get going initially. Dry, not soaked in anything.
I'm not using charcoal, propane burner at bottom, skillet on top to hold chips. I can't figure out how to post pics.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #8574
pirate94
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Try wrapping the chips in foil or use wood chunks instead on the skillet. Chips directly on the skillet will burn out quickly I would imagine. Your UDS is almost like a gas grill with open vents for the burner. Wood chips should be wrapped in foil.

Also, be extra cautious to make sure you have no trapped gas in the drum prior to lighting.
Thanks, Ill try both. When chips have turned black are they finished smoking?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #8575
pirate94
Found some matches.

Default propane smoker

This should give you an idea of what I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 050.JPG (27.8 KB, 787 views)
File Type: jpg 051.JPG (59.7 KB, 783 views)
File Type: jpg 052.JPG (48.5 KB, 782 views)

Old 09-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #8576
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

pirate, my experience with 3 intake holes 1 of which has a ball-valve make it very easy to control temps. Clean-up, I don't do this everytime I cook, only when needed. Also, clean-up is not all messy in my opinion. You're right heat cooks. But, like a gas stove u put the flame on a pan u will burn everytime if u can't see whats happening on the stove. I can get hotter temps in my UDS with more coals and more air. A gas burner is limited to the burner. I have to wonder how much gas I'd go thru on a 12, 14 16 hour burn. If I did not have a full tank of gas, would it be enough with out swiching out tanks. Do I have a full tank for an over night cook? I hope a picture is forming.

Last edited by rondini; 09-04-2011 at 06:53 PM..
rondini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #8577
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Pirate, for your safety your UDS should have an open vent at the bottom. I'm assuming you're controlling your temp by the amount of gas being fed and not by the intake vents.
If the flame goes out in the middle of the cook that drum can explode. Does the burner have some sort of a safety shut off valve should the flame go out?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #8578
pirate94
Found some matches.

I have three vent holes, one with valve. Do you see an advantage to charcoal? I could easily convert.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #8579
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
The bottom and the top vents are all 2 cm / 0.8 inch.
This should be the same as a 3/4" ?
(1 inch = 2.54 cm)
I agree the intake look too small. What size drill did you use? If you used a 2cm drill thats not the same as mine i used a 1 inch or 2.54cm

Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #8580
tuliku
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks all for the advice given. The drill was indeed 2 cm, so i guess the inside of the air intake is a bit smaller.
First thing after work will be getting new vents, and a bigger single exhaust on the top.
Will post again with pics on v1.1 of my UDS :-)

Thanks !
tuliku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker