MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #8536
InTheRedZoneBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5150 View Post
"line the box with asbestos"... my how times have changed!
InTheRedZoneBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #8537
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
lol Well it's been across worse places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Anywhere near Holt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Mission Blvd. Holt is old school.

hmm talking about pomona? lol not offended I live in the good part near claremont. I once lived in your neck of the woods mr norco

now on page 118....ok only a few hundred pages to go! great read
bbqchicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #8538
GEORGIA CRACKER(FROM TEX)
Got Wood.

Well, I have read all of this thread, and have been informed, entertained, and enlightened! Hats off to all who have posted and gone before me. There is a wealth of knowledge on here. I started out on another forum, and planned my UDS from there, but found this forum and greatly expanded my knowledge. I have built my KISS smoker without any mods or extra blings, and have been rewarded with an excellent controllable smoker. I have three 3/4 inch intakes, two caped off and one with a ball valve. I have a 2" by 5" pipe nipple screwed into the bung hole on the lid, which is a removable lid with a clamp ring on it. My basket is made from 3/4 # 9 expanded and bolted on an angle iron frame. No welding, just cut and bolt together along with some hog wire. It is about 14 X 14 and sits three inches above the bottom of the barrel. All holes were cut with a hole saw or drill bits. I bought some extra caps for my intakes and drilled different size holes in them for added control when needed. After my first brisket that I smoked for 9 hours, I let the fire go on at a steady 210 degrees and after 37 hours, i got tired of checking on it and shut it down, with some briquets still left unburned. Needless to say, I was impressed. If I can figure out how to post some pictures, I will post pictures of my build.
GEORGIA CRACKER(FROM TEX) is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #8539
Got Wood.

I hope this works:

2" X 5" nipple

El Cheepo Wal Mart temp gauge, and the "U" bolts for the grate.

The tin cup is my shut off "Valve - Rain protector"

Two of three intakes.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #8540
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIA CRACKER(FROM TEX) View Post
I hope this works:

2" X 5" nipple

El Cheepo Wal Mart temp gauge, and the "U" bolts for the grate.

The tin cup is my shut off "Valve - Rain protector"

Two of three intakes.
Nice Georgia Cracker how does she smoke?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #8541
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopjaw View Post
Who has the uds of R2D2? I can't find or remember the thread it was in.....

Thanks

sent from phone.
I do.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #8542
mike5150
Got Wood.

Default My First Fatty

Well Here it is my first fatty I cooked it @ 225º for 3 hours. It took about 45 min to get it up to 225º so it was on the UDS FOR 3hr 45min..I was not sure if the bacon was done enough it looked like it was still kinda raw but it cut just fine and tasted very good. I Stuck some onion,Bell Pepper and Pepper Jack Cheese in the middle

Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #8543
Got Wood.

Hey Mike 5150, she does a great job smoking. Temp's are real easy to regulate. Once I get it on track, it will stay there pretty steady without much adjustment. I have cooked 3 briskets, some spareribs and some whole chickens. All turned out great. The last brisket I cooked last week for a family reunion was butter smooth and tender. Cooked it for 8 hours, and then wrapped in foil and put it back in the smoker for two more hours. I use briquets and chunks of mesquite to smoke them. Got hooked on mesquite when I lived in South Texas. I like pecan, but it's hard to find around here. I saw your fare, and it looks great. I haven't tried any fatties yet, but they are on my round-to-it list!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #8544
stevenlarson
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default UDS lid hook

Hey Brothers, I made an easy lid hook on my first UDS. My lid had an one inch bung. Thinking, why drill more holes in the lid. I attached a 3/4 nipple and cap into the underside of the lid. I also filled the top void with a wine cork. The set-up works great.

Sorry, for some reason I can't upload a photo.
stevenlarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #8545
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Through 6000 posts....I'm obsessed. Haven't seen this question yet. Anyone try Emory Cloth and a palm sander on your drum liner? I plan to grab a metal grinding wheel to get my tan liner off since the burn was not totally effective. Just wondering if a palm sander would work too. Easier to hold......thanks in advance and great thread!
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #8546
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvegaugepump View Post
Through 6000 posts....I'm obsessed. Haven't seen this question yet. Anyone try Emory Cloth and a palm sander on your drum liner? I plan to grab a metal grinding wheel to get my tan liner off since the burn was not totally effective. Just wondering if a palm sander would work too. Easier to hold......thanks in advance and great thread!

Palm sander did not work for me so I took a weed torch to mine.Harbor freight has them on sale now for 13.50 i paid 19.99 for mine..someone said oven spray would take it off but i did a test spot for 2 days on my tan liner with not luck!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #8547
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlarson View Post
Hey Brothers, I made an easy lid hook on my first UDS. My lid had an one inch bung. Thinking, why drill more holes in the lid. I attached a 3/4 nipple and cap into the underside of the lid. I also filled the top void with a wine cork. The set-up works great.

Sorry, for some reason I can't upload a photo.
Heck of a idea I was wanting to make a lid hook But I am going to steal your idea if you don't have a patent on it yet......

Old 08-30-2011, 06:52 AM   #8548
mantequiya
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5150 View Post
Well Here it is my first fatty I cooked it @ 225º for 3 hours. It took about 45 min to get it up to 225º so it was on the UDS FOR 3hr 45min..I was not sure if the bacon was done enough it looked like it was still kinda raw but it cut just fine and tasted very good. I Stuck some onion,Bell Pepper and Pepper Jack Cheese in the middle

Nice job Mike. I had the same thing with the bacon so I put it under the broiler for a couple minutes. Hope I don't loose all credibility for that
mantequiya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #8549
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

Cooking those bacon wrapped fatties , I've found cooking a little hotter helps. If you cook them at 225 the bacon will never crisp , 300 will do it quite nicely , same applies to whole chickens. Just my .02 , great looking food guys!

TurboDog

Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #8550
Ufo8mycow
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is the UDS I just finished. I till have a few things I want to finish up on it but I wanted to have it ready for labor day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-01 12.22.07.jpg (48.9 KB, 747 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-01 12.22.19.jpg (114.7 KB, 744 views)
Ufo8mycow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker