MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #8521
elchupahueso
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wait, I finished? How can this be? I never thought i'd make it to the end, but I did it. Thank goodness i took notes and remember hat I read. Just sourcing a drum, and then it's off to the races.
Some things of note:
* I laughed mightily when around page 60 when people started saying "OMG this thread is long!"
* Lots of ways to do the same things: i.e. exhaust, intake, charcoal basket, etc etc etc.
* seattlepitboss suggested http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=2904 here to boil a lned drum with half a box of cascade. Never saw anybody try it. Did I miss that?
* 4Dueces Nadine Jensen avatar. Just sayin'.
* Reading the entire thread is absolutely 100% worth it. Yes, all the basic knowledge is contained in the early pages, but the same problems pop up over and over again. So much so that if I run into any problems with my build, i'll already know the answer before asking it.
* DalekDS, me likey. :)

I think that's about it. My brain has sublimated into tapioca, i'ma go soak in the hot tub.
elchupahueso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #8522
elchupahueso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeart View Post
Any feedback from people that have used the PVC valves? ...
AFAIK those that have used them have reported success ith them. Since temps in a UDS usually don't go PVC valves over 350ish unless someone specifically wants it to, there hasn't been any problems with going all wicked with of the west. (melting, what a world, what a world!)
elchupahueso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #8523
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeart View Post
Any feedback from people that have used the PVC valves? I've seen a lot of pictures in the thread, how do they work?

I'm thinking one 1-1/2" or 2" air hole with a PVC valve.

thanks,
dave
I got one but did not it because it was just to hard to open and close. So I got a brass ball valve. I noticed they are about $3.00 cheaper at harbor freight tool.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #8524
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I have not used pvc valves since I have a local harbor freight. I did use a pvc fitting to connect my blower (when I went to a guru). I had no issues with the pvc getting too hot. The intake is below the fire, and has a flow of air cooling the nipple. Both help to keep the pvc temp fairly low.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #8525
smokinin614
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Need Ideas

Okay...so I'm looking for ideas/info regarding making my lid air tight. I have beat the crap out of my lid trying to make it seal tight, but I have failed terribly... Any ideas/info on where to buy would be a huge help. I have used the search at the bottom with no luck. Thanks

Here's my set up.

Last edited by smokinin614; 08-25-2011 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: added picture
smokinin614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #8526
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

that will depend on how the lid sits on the drum, is it inside the rim, outside of the rim, or just sits on top of the rim. You can use high temp. silicon or the rope type stove gasket and that should seal it up airtight!!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #8527
smokinin614
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the response Bigbob. The lid sits outside the rim of the drum. I'm gonna search and see where i can find some of that rope gasket. Any ideas on how to secure the rope to the lid?
smokinin614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #8528
lrh

"Any ideas on how to secure the rope to the lid?"

Use high temp silicone; the same place that has the rope should have that also.
lrh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #8529
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

the rope gasket can be found usually at Ace Hardware or possibly a local hardware or appliance store, I used a small bead of high temp silicon on the lid in the groove and then put the gasket on and set it in place to let it dry overnight and now it seals up perfectly..

Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #8530
Drumbum77

Default Cook time time question

Just another cook time question that's probably been covered already, but I have to get back to work. I could spend a week on this thread.

I will be cooking an eight pound butt this weekend for some folks that are coming over and was curious how long ya'll think it might take. I know some have said that things tend to go a little faster on the good old UDS. This will be my second smoke on my new build. I did some whole chickens that turned out amazing. I know it all depends on the cut of meat, etc....Im just trying to get ball park idea. 10Hrs?

Thanks!
Drumbum77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #8531
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbum77 View Post
Just another cook time question that's probably been covered already, but I have to get back to work. I could spend a week on this thread.

I will be cooking an eight pound butt this weekend for some folks that are coming over and was curious how long ya'll think it might take. I know some have said that things tend to go a little faster on the good old UDS. This will be my second smoke on my new build. I did some whole chickens that turned out amazing. I know it all depends on the cut of meat, etc....Im just trying to get ball park idea. 10Hrs?

Thanks!
Millions of answers will come. But don't sweat it. Just try for 225 in the smoker and leave the meat in there for 11 hours. It's totally fine if you pull it off when the meat internal temp is 185, 195, even 205. I found once it hits 200 it really gets soft.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #8532
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrh View Post
"Any ideas on how to secure the rope to the lid?"

Use high temp silicone; the same place that has the rope should have that also.
Insulation ropes in general have fiberglass. Usually you'll find big warnings about not having that anywhere near food.

But another idea is to find another barrel with same diameter, and cut it to essentially make an extension that you'd turn into a big lid.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #8533
Chopjaw
On the road to being a farker

Who has the uds of R2D2? I can't find or remember the thread it was in.....

Thanks

sent from phone.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #8534
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopjaw View Post
Who has the uds of R2D2? I can't find or remember the thread it was in.....

Thanks

sent from phone.
Page 528

Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #8535
mike5150
Got Wood.

Default 1957 uds

1957 UDS

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker