MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #8491
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post
I think I've got some air leaks. I closed it down around 1:45am, and now (11:15) its still at 205/175. (Vent is still open, bottom is all closed.)
i close everything when shutting down

Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #8492
Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdog View Post
i close everything when shutting down
I had a thermometer wingnutted into the vent - its out now, it wasn't telling me much that I didn't already know. So when I shut it down tonight I'll close the vent also and see what happens.
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #8493
Chopjaw

Hey guess what, I have finished the ENTIRE THREAD From Post 1 to this post!!!

SO, how do I start a UDS? Just kidding.

There are so many options of builds and so many of you have built some nice smokers. I'll be starting on mine soon. THe only thing that is for sure, I have yet to make up my mind. Thanks to everybody who has posted here with an idea or solution. This place is the best.

After 5 days of reading this thread. I really farking hate it!!!! LOL

Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #8494
traderbbc
Found some matches.

Default Paint

I got a question for those of you who have painted your barrels. Mine is in really goog shape with nice paint, gonna do a small burn this weekend as the only thing inside my barrel is the rust proof coating and its already starting to rust so will like I said a small burn. Can I just sand rough up the original paint then use a primer and a high heat paint or will the original with sanding peel.
traderbbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #8495
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
I have tried putting coals in the middle.. I actually made a smaller "fire basket" to put inside my larger one and I'd put the lit coals in it. But what I have found, is that the best way, is simply fill the big firebasket with un-lit coals, and just pour the lit coals on top, and just mix them around, all over the top. This creates a nice even burn without worrying about any of the coffee can stuff or whatever to focus on doing something special in the middle.

Ok, good to know.....I will try the top down minion method and forget the coffee can in the middle to start a minion from the center out. I kinda think it will stay lit better, going top down.

This was my first time to try this with my smoker and my smoker wasn't done. I still want to add the ball valve on a stand pipe at least half way up the side of the barrel. So temp control is an issue for me simply from a experience level.

I'll check around for the Stubbs, I don't recall seeing it in any stores I frequent. I'll do a search and see if I can see if any stores might be listed as carrying it in my area.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #8496
lrh
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbbc View Post
I got a question for those of you who have painted your barrels. Mine is in really goog shape with nice paint, gonna do a small burn this weekend as the only thing inside my barrel is the rust proof coating and its already starting to rust so will like I said a small burn. Can I just sand rough up the original paint then use a primer and a high heat paint or will the original with sanding peel.
Unless existing paint is high temp paint, even a small burn will scorch/peel it in at least some places. You just as well count on removing it all and then repaint according to the high temps mfg directions. The kind I used recommended against using any primer.
lrh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #8497
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Seach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachaser View Post
Rondini, Could you elaborate on your Temp control for each temperature listed. Like when do you close which valve and how much openings you have? Thanks in advance.

Seachaser
I open everything at start up. I use sheet magnets and 1 ball valve. I have 2 short stem thermometers just below my 2 upper grates. Depending on the temp I want, about 15 min after start up I start closing the magnet holes to get to and hold the temp I want. When I'm close to the temp I adjust the ball valve. This hole process takes roughly 30 min. After each adjustment I wait 5 min. REMEMBER, it's easier to raise the temp than it is to lower it. My thermometers are app. 50* cooler than center of my grills. If you haven't gotten yourself a note book yet I recommend you do and use it to track what u do on each cook. Every UDS is a little different on how it cooks. It took me awile to get a feel for how closing up 1 hole affected the temp, how 2 holes closed did it.
I hope this helps, if you want to pm me feel free.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #8498
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Rondini... what is your exhaust looking like? Do you have a like a chimney pipe? or do you have some holes drilled in the lid? The good temp control depends on the right air flow. My UDS has three 3/4 inlets and I actually used to have 1 ball valve but I replaced that with 3 magnets so I can have all vents open like half way to let coals burn from all sides more. Temp control is good in mine but it depends on how I exhaust. I actually have multiple exhaust methods built into my UDS from the different variations I've put it through.
coewar
I just use the large Bung hole that was in the lid when I got it.
I have a pc sheet metal with a bolt, nuts and a spring, for closing off the chimney when I shut down after the cook.
I have smoked at 200* all the way up to 450* using just 1/2 of the diameter of my basket app. 1/2 full. I add app. 1/2 chimney to that half when I smoke. In my UDS having only 1 hole open still gives me an even burn. Also, I dump my lit coals on top of the old dead coals and have no problem getting my temps or with the taste. I don't have any other exhaust method. I did set up my UDS to smoke and grill. I don't remember when I set the basket up that way, and I've added no other coals than what is in my chimney starter.
I hope this helps. pm me if u feel a need.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #8499
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

hankll
I found Stubbs in a Lowes. May be someone else will chime in on a location.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #8500
Disconnect

Another option is royal oak - most walmarts have it, and it seems popular with the competitors out here. I grabbed a bag for the seasoning burn and it worked really nicely - more even sizes than most bags of cowboy and it burned forever.

I've used Stubbs but all I remember about it was that it seemed expensive. (Although now that I look online.. pound for pound, its cheaper than RO by just a bit.)

On a side note, anyone use a rocks stoker on a UDS? Seems like it overshoots really badly whenever it runs the fan. I had it set to 230 (green dots) and it'd come on around 210 but by the time it cut off the UDS peaked around 280. Thats .. thats just not good.
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #8501
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Regarding exhaust vents, everytime I've done chicken I found my dome lid exhaust not large enough to run temps up around 350F. I had to prop the lid ajar to allow the drum to breathe more efficiently. Therefore, I'm thinking about adding another adjustable vent on the lid for high temp cooks.
I know this is one mod that some 22" WSM users make. They add a second daisy wheel on the lid.

Here's a shot from tonight's cook.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #8502
hankll
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondini View Post
hankll
I found Stubbs in a Lowes. May be someone else will chime in on a location.

I'll check there, and if it is there, I'll pick up some for a trial. But if it is there here in TN, it is also one of the stores I don't frequent, and would be the reason I hadn't seen Stubbs there. I go to HD for my home needs, they are cheaper
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8503
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I buy Stubbs from Lowes and stock up when they're on sale. I picked up a dozen bags back in March when they were running the 2 for the price of one sale ($4.25/15 lb bag). The last sale they ran in mid July at $5 per bag wasn't bad either.
Keep your eyes open as they tend to run these sales at odd times (as opposed to during major holidays)

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #8504
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

For the time being my UDS is as far as I can take it. I'm done with the construction, there will be tweaks in the future so I won't say I'm done. I pulled all the masking tape and paper today, painted the intake caps, installed the upright pipe for an adjustable intake, put the stainless screws in the thing for the grates, etc.

Here is my newest addition to the family:

Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #8505
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerjamie15 View Post
For the time being my UDS is as far as I can take it. I'm done with the construction, there will be tweaks in the future so I won't say I'm done. I pulled all the masking tape and paper today, painted the intake caps, installed the upright pipe for an adjustable intake, put the stainless screws in the thing for the grates, etc.

Here is my newest addition to the family:

Nice Bro! Go Cowboys!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker