MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #7876
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I tell ya ya gotta love all the variations to the UDS.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #7877
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
I am building my second UDS and I have read every page of this forum, but I am looking for an idea i saw on here and I'm not sure where to find it amongst the 500+ pages. The idea I am looking for is the plans for the rod that extends from the ball valve at the bottom of the drum up to a handle about half way up the drum.
I retro-fitted one of my BUFORD's with the long rod valve adjuster on all three valves. I chose to use the original valve handle and bend it vertically since it has the squared off hole in the handle and fits the valve stem tightly. Then thread the rod into the handle and fabricate a new handle at the top.

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #7878
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Ok so I found my side table for my uds, it's a old jim beam whiskey barrel lid but It's so old I kinda want to know if its worth anything before I go cutting it maybe someone here might know something about it. My dad has had it for years and doesn't care what I do with it. I cant seem to find anything on google..

Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #7879
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
I retro-fitted one of my BUFORD's with the long rod valve adjuster on all three valves. I chose to use the original valve handle and bend it vertically since it has the squared off hole in the handle and fits the valve stem tightly. Then thread the rod into the handle and fabricate a new handle at the top.

NICE! Thanks for the input.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #7880
Spicy-Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

I received two nice 55 gal drums that contained juice. I noticed that the inside of each drum was redish. I read a lot of these threads and just figured the liner was a plastic coating. Mine felt like paint so I thought nothing of it. Well, I burned 4 pallets and the paint came off the outside no problem but there was barely any change inside the drum. The red is still there. I decided to spend some money and buy a brand new unlined 55gal 16g drum from McMaster Carr. If I buy a new drum do I still have to burn it out? I will still keep trying to remove the red liner and if I am successful I will have 3 UDS's.
Spicy-Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #7881
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy-Meat View Post
I received two nice 55 gal drums that contained juice. I noticed that the inside of each drum was redish. I read a lot of these threads and just figured the liner was a plastic coating. Mine felt like paint so I thought nothing of it. Well, I burned 4 pallets and the paint came off the outside no problem but there was barely any change inside the drum. The red is still there. I decided to spend some money and buy a brand new unlined 55gal 16g drum from McMaster Carr. If I buy a new drum do I still have to burn it out? I will still keep trying to remove the red liner and if I am successful I will have 3 UDS's.
Yes, it is still recommended to burn out a new drum. Usually this is because often there is a rust preventative to keep the bare metal from rusting. You don't have to go crazy but a good burn is always good.

As for the liner, grab an angle grinder and a wire wheel. I also highly suggest a respirator, goggles, and hearing protection. Its a beast to tackle but its doable and I always say its a rite of passage.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #7882
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
As for the liner, grab an angle grinder and a wire wheel. I also highly suggest a respirator, goggles, and hearing protection. Its a beast to tackle but its doable and I always say its a rite of passage.
I ground out my red liner as well, taking to heart the "rite of passage" effort as well. Though I thought that was over when I finshed the 550+ page of this thread.

I found it no fun, but also doable. Hearing protection, gloves, goggles and a respirator. Goggles over safety glasses because inside the barrel there is a lot of reside flying around because of the angle grinder motor.

I sent this self portrait home to my wife when I was done.

A couple photos of the work progress.

And the tools.

I since found a place to buy new barrels in Dallas for $41, so I won't be doing this again.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #7883
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
I ground out my red liner as well, taking to heart the "rite of passage" effort as well. Though I thought that was over when I finshed the 550+ page of this thread.

I found it no fun, but also doable. Hearing protection, gloves, goggles and a respirator. Goggles over safety glasses because inside the barrel there is a lot of reside flying around because of the angle grinder motor.

And the tools.

I since found a place to buy new barrels in Dallas for $41, so I won't be doing this again.

Need a portrait before ya started to see if ya made any improvements
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #7884
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

does the red liner appear to be paint? if so looks like i got some grinding to do.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #7885
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Alvin View Post
does the red liner appear to be paint? if so looks like i got some grinding to do.
Yep. If possible I suggest drilling your holes at the bottom and doing a hot fire first. This helps a bit and having the holes will help the fire breathe.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #7886
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

When I looked into the liner process it came up as a phenolic / epoxy coating that is applied to the metal before it's rolled and seamed. I'm guessing that combination of materials is why burning doesn't help remove it. I tried pretty hard with a weed burner and all I got was the outside white paint to change color, while the red just stayed red and no easier to grind off. I really only was inside the barrel an hour and a half, so it's not an endless job if you work at it.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #7887
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Need a portrait before ya started to see if ya made any improvements
ha. she did mention that coming home like that wasn't in the cards.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #7888
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post

And the tools.

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #7889
Dalek
Found some matches.

Geez Philip, trying to scare the kids away again!
Dalek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #7890
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I'm just glad I read this thread when it was only 400 +/- pages.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker