MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #7126
Landshark
Found some matches.

I can't believe I finally finished reading this amazing thread. Many thanks to everyone who has posted ideas, advice, and answers!
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #7127
brunski
Knows what a fatty is.

@landshark - so, when will you start your UDS build

Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #7128
Landshark
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunski View Post
@landshark - so, when will you start your UDS build

I have the drum and have already cleaned and burned it. I just need to pick up a few things from the hardware store to finish building it. I Hope to have it going this weekend.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #7129
kcarz
Found some matches.

Default Parts list and temp probe port

Lots of pages on to read through. Sorry if I have missed it. I think there is a parts list of the parts needed to build a UDS. Could someone please send me link to this if there is one. Also what is being used for the temp probe ports? I can't see clearly in some of the pics what is being used. Hopefully getting my drum in the next few weeks and needing to start picking up parts.
kcarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #7130
gss
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Thanks very much to everyone here for a GREAT thread. I first discovered it about 9 months ago and have read it and reread it periodically since. I've been looking for an unlined drum for months with no luck.

I have been able to find a couple of 'food grade' drums with the infamous red-brown liner. There seems to be some disagreement about these liners on this thread. Some here seem to think that it's fine to just burn them out while others say that these liners are caustic when burned. I have a weed burner, so I'm confident I can get it burned out relatively easily if that's the direction I go.

I have a newborn son in my house and really don't want to do anything that could damage the air that we breath. Is there consensus one way or the other on these? Could burning the liners off have potentially bad consequences? Does anyone know of anybody who has had a bad experience in burning these liners off? If so, I'll scrap the barrels I have and continue the search.

Thanks again for this thread. Reading it has become my new hobby and I am really impressed with all of your builds. I can't wait to get mine built, but I want to do it in the safest way possible.
gss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #7131
Bronco75
Found some matches.

Well I'm finally taking the plunge.... After reading and re-reading this thread I am building my first UDS. I can't wait to actually smoke some butt.
Bought me a couple of orange juice drums for $20 each on my way home from Las Vegas. They have a tan colored liner in them. I'm going to start with one then after getting one up and cooking I will see what I want to do the same or different with the other one.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to making this incredible UDS thread!!
Bronco75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #7132
newie
Found some matches.

I just picked up an unlined reconditioned drum from this place: http://www.containersunlimited.com/

$40 with a removeable top w/bungs, and the clamp that secures the top. They are located in Hayward, Ca. I believe they will ship as well. It may be worth a call to find out, or ask if they are aware of a similar supplier near you. For me, it was worth the extra $20 to buy one unlined due to the same concerns... and not having the local FD show up due to the fire in the back yard - good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gss View Post
Thanks very much to everyone here for a GREAT thread. I first discovered it about 9 months ago and have read it and reread it periodically since. I've been looking for an unlined drum for months with no luck.

I have been able to find a couple of 'food grade' drums with the infamous red-brown liner. There seems to be some disagreement about these liners on this thread. Some here seem to think that it's fine to just burn them out while others say that these liners are caustic when burned. I have a weed burner, so I'm confident I can get it burned out relatively easily if that's the direction I go.

I have a newborn son in my house and really don't want to do anything that could damage the air that we breath. Is there consensus one way or the other on these? Could burning the liners off have potentially bad consequences? Does anyone know of anybody who has had a bad experience in burning these liners off? If so, I'll scrap the barrels I have and continue the search.

Thanks again for this thread. Reading it has become my new hobby and I am really impressed with all of your builds. I can't wait to get mine built, but I want to do it in the safest way possible.
newie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #7133
boakley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gss View Post
I have no proof, but would say with 99.9% certainty that the liner is toxic when being burnt off. Using a weed burner on the OUTSIDE of the drum to remove the paint, burned the liner off the inside of the drum and it was actually a pretty quick process (half hour or so for the entire drum) then I followed it up with a flap sander to get the metal nice and clean. The liner did smoke as it burned out, but not excessively, I had no problem doing it in a subdivision. The weed burner process, done away from the house, when the wind is not blowing toward the house is probably safe enough. But, when it comes to your children, always best to error on the side of caution.

Good luck!
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #7134
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarz View Post
Lots of pages on to read through. Sorry if I have missed it. I think there is a parts list of the parts needed to build a UDS. Could someone please send me link to this if there is one. Also what is being used for the temp probe ports? I can't see clearly in some of the pics what is being used. Hopefully getting my drum in the next few weeks and needing to start picking up parts.
This might help you out

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=86
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #7135
Mr. Clydesdale
Got rid of the matchlight.

Wow, I haven't read the whole thread, not even close, but I've got the general idea and am ready to build but I'm still looking for a good drum in Dallas. I would really prefer to find a new or like new unlined drum. Any suggestions?
Stopped by a feed store and they had drums that had contained pear concentrate. They were really red colored inside. Is this the liner or are they painted too?
Burning out a barrel would be a problem where I live.
Mr. Clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #7136
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, that's a liner. Most if not all food grade barrels will have some sort of liner. Being in Dallas, I would think you could find a container company what would sell cleaned, reconditioned barrels at a decent price. Hopefully someone from the Dallas area will chime in.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #7137
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clydesdale View Post
Wow, I haven't read the whole thread, not even close, but I've got the general idea and am ready to build but I'm still looking for a good drum in Dallas. I would really prefer to find a new or like new unlined drum. Any suggestions?
Stopped by a feed store and they had drums that had contained pear concentrate. They were really red colored inside. Is this the liner or are they painted too?
Burning out a barrel would be a problem where I live.
I googled "Dallas Steel Drum" http://www.dallassteeldrums.com/ was the first hit. They have new and reconditioned barrels. A new barrel won't need a high temp burn. Just wash with detergent. Probably the same with a reconditioned. I'm sure there are other places in Dallas. Chicago had at least 4 places that sold new drums. I payed $68 for my new barrel.

Good luck.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #7138
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I got a food grade barrel that was unlined - it had coconut oil in it. I forget what type of bake shop it came from - but several times a year they would craigslist their stash.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #7139
Mr. Clydesdale
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I googled "Dallas Steel Drum" http://www.dallassteeldrums.com/ was the first hit. They have new and reconditioned barrels. A new barrel won't need a high temp burn. Just wash with detergent. Probably the same with a reconditioned. I'm sure there are other places in Dallas. Chicago had at least 4 places that sold new drums. I payed $68 for my new barrel.

Good luck.
Went there today. $40.05 for a pretty new one. Took a 17" Weber charcoal grate to a welder to get an expanded metal basket cylinder welded to it and he said $80 and I said no thanks. Got a 5'x1' piece of scrap expanded for $5 and I'll just bolt it together. Should be cooking by the weekend.
Mr. Clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #7140
Bronco75
Found some matches.

OK need a little beginners help here... Hammered out a smoker over the last few days... fired it up this AM and I am hitting temps of 400-500 degrees..even with all the air inlets closed.
I put in about 15lbs of KF mesquite charcoal and man the temps are flying high. Does that charcoal burn too hot for this application or did I put in too much.
I know a lot of people said they use chunk but the local store did not have it. Help!
Bronco75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker