MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #8611
tuliku
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hmm, so i'm safe with the galvanized fence part ?
Tomorrow i am organizing a party and i want to use my uds, but not kill/poisen anyone...

The holes in the bottom part are all around, i just made a pic halfway as well to show the difference from before and after.

Here in the Czech Republic we don't have something like a home depot. In Holland we do, but i don't want to drive halfway trough Europe for a piece of metal :-)
Today after work i will try to find something else for the basket..

What kinda bolts would be the best to use, stainless or something else ?
I used the standard ones, but no clue what their made off, not everything is well described here in this country.

Thanks
tuliku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #8612
Seachaser
Knows what a fatty is.

I did a lot of research by googling zinc poisoning a few weeks ago. (Galvanized contains zinc) But I also found that a lot of things have cancer causing agents that we cook on such as propane, charcoal, wood, teflon, etc., but that zinc stuff is bad news.
Seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #8613
tuliku

OK, thanks for the heads up. Guess my evening plans changed now to finding metal for a new basket..

Old 09-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #8614
traderbbc
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
OK, thanks for the heads up. Guess my evening plans changed now to finding metal for a new basket..
If you read thru all of this thread which is a long endeavor on the bolt and zinc issue. As many have pointed out the temp that zinc would be an issue would render your food looking like charcoal ash. As I pointed out I used a Walmart 22" grill for the lid and parts for my smoker. I made an error when I told you my grate was 13.5 its actually 18.5 I believe because I used the grate from the Walmart grill which if you read the parts list is zinc coated by the way. As I said before it the zinc was an issue I am sure someone would have sued Walmart over it by now.

If you can find stainless bolts for your grates fine but my two sense is don't worry about your most likely zinc coated bolts you used for the basket. As I said before if your that concerned put them in a cup of vinegar and let them sit for a day or so, that includes your nuts, washers and bolts, you will see after a day or so they will turn black and start rusting because the vinegar removes the zinc coating. For some reason the bolts rust faster probably less of a zinc coating. Zinc looks more shiny than galvanized doubt your bolts and washers are galv but they could be but most in the bins in your hardware store are zinc. The vinegar works, I usued a plastic clear 16 ounce cup to soak my bolts and you can see the vinegar working.

The expanded metal may be hard to find over where you are unless you have a welding shop nearby and they would have some as they use it all the time.

Do your research but most of the issues on zinc and galvanized fumes involved welding which obviously would be a temperature your smoker would never see ever as it would not be possible to get your smoker or grate that hot. And as a poster said to me once you smoke your first meal the grease is going to cover those bolts anyway.

I have smoked 4 or 5 times with my vinegar cleaned bolts and I have not had an issue. I did use stainless for the cooking grates but if I could not have found them I would not have worried about the zinc bolts there either.

I am not a chemist so take that in consideration but there are links in this thread to articles stating the zinc issue is basically nonsense unless you were welding but its your decision.
traderbbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #8615
tuliku

I was lucky !
I found after half day searching a shop where they sell all kinds of metal...
And i found what you guys call "expanded metal"

Now everything is ready in time, in a few hours the grill party starts, got 2.5 kg of uruguay steak, some chickens, and ribs waiting for them :-)

Bye for now and thanks for all the advice !

Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #8616
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I was lucky !

Now everything is ready in time, in a few hours the grill party starts, got 2.5 kg of uruguay steak, some chickens, and ribs waiting for them :-)

what is that ? 2' tall?
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #8617
traderbbc
Found some matches.

[QUOTE=tuliku;1783457]I was lucky !

Let us know how dinner came out and good job.
traderbbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #8618
tuliku

Smokerking, something like that. But it is ok, it got destroyed the next day after the party, cause a car who parked at our drive way didn't see it and crushed it..
So i got myself a new task, making another one during the week, but this time only half size :-)

So, the grilling / smoking party was excellent. We used an additional small standard grill for the vegetables and fish, and the UDS for the steaks and chicken. It burned very well for more then 6 hours, with about 4 KG of briquettes. I guess thanks to the briquettes, temperatur went up to a smooth 300 F.

I asked all the ladies at the party to pose with my UDS, as a thank you for all you guys here for the great support and advice given :-)

Thanks for getting me on the right way, more success pics will follow :-)
Greetings from Prague :-)

Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #8619
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

^^^ The money shot! Glad to see you all had fun!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 AM   #8620
lrh

Czech chicks!
lrh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #8621
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Half hour later at 280 F :-)

= edit =
Another half hour later at 320 F :-)
Me so happy, looks like it works properly now, but still, any comments / advice for improving are very welcome !

== edit ==
Another half hour later still at 320 F.
I guess this is the max temp then
To try to get it hotter, i closed 1 of the 3 pipes. The daisy lid was all the time closed.

I'm not sure if you were referring to the 3 intakes or the 3 exhausts , but to get your temps hotter you likely need MORE airflow from the intakes. From what I've read here you want to leave your exhausts wide open all the time , and control your temperature with the intakes. Not enough heat would indicate not enough airflow. For a really easy test you could remove the ball valves during a cook and check what it does to your temps. Great looking UDS , and looks like it was a heck of a party , take care.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #8622
chief domestic engineer
Found some matches.

Default my uds

Hi everyone,
After reading the entire thread and every other UDS thread I could find I finally dove in....I love it!! My WSM is sitting under the cover now.

Also, I can't count on wind in my back yard so this is my 'quick forced air system'

P.S. ..... can someone unlock the recipes for me now? .... :-)
chief domestic engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #8623
Arat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief domestic engineer View Post
Also, I can't count on wind in my back yard so this is my 'quick forced air system'
Now that's high tech... I like it
Arat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #8624
tuliku

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief domestic engineer View Post
A very nice solution, how did you attach the bottle OT the fan ? Or is it just leaning against it ?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #8625
spareheat
Found some matches.

Chech chicks indeed Very nice UDS too
spareheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker