Saiko's Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle Sauce and Slaw - Recipe and Pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The Maui tan is starting to fade, so I decided to make my "Hawaii meets Mexico" grilled fish tacos to remind me of the islands. I love me some fish tacos, so thought I would share my recipe. It takes a bit of prep to put it all together, but well worth the effort.
You can use either 1/2 lb. of shredded red and green cabbage for the slaw, or just use half a bag of pre-made slaw mix. I prefer the fresh cabbage since it's crunchier, but I'm a little pressed for time today (football!) so I'm going with the slaw mix. You can use any firm mild fish such as Mahi or Grouper, but I usually use Tilapia since it's dirt cheap, mild, and there is plenty of other flavor so you don't really need expensive fish.

IMG_0002.jpg

Ingredients for 8 tacos:
1 lb. any firm, mild fish (I usually use Tilapia).
8 corn tortillas, heated individually as needed
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Fish Marinade:
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp dried oregano
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
Wisk together the ingredients in a large, shallow container and set aside.

Chipotle Cream Sauce:
1/3 cup sour cream
3 TBSP mayo
2 TBSP fresh squeezed lime juice
2 tsp minced chipotle chilis (canned, with seeds removed)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp chili powder
Wisk together the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Chipotle Coleslaw:
2 tsp minced chipotle chilis (canned, with seeds removed)
1/3 cup mayo
2 TBSP honey
1 TBSP lime juice
1/2 pound shredded red and green cabbage (or 1/2 pound slaw mix)
1/4 cup chopped green onions.
Wisk together everything except the cabbage and green onions and set aside. Just before serving, mix in the cabbage and green onions.

Before prepping, pour yourself a drink. Today I'm drinking Rogue Yellow Snow IPA.
IMG_0006.jpg

Since the marinade, chipotle sauce and slaw sauce share a lot of the same ingredients, it's quicker to make all three at the same time instead of one after the other. Fish marinade on the left, chipotle cream sauce in the middle, and slaw sauce on the right.
IMG_0007.jpg

You don't want to marinade the fish very long due to all the acid, it will turn your fish mushy. I usually only marinade for about 30 minutes, when I first light the charcoal chimney.
IMG_0009.jpg

Grill the fish until done. I ALWAYS go by temp with fish, 140 degrees as measured by my thermapen. Nothing worse than overcooked fish. Don't worry about making it pretty since you are going to be chopping the fish.
While the fish is cooking, heat a ceramic bowl in the oven at it's lowest setting (mine is 170 degrees). This bowl will keep the fish warm.
IMG_0010.jpg

Chop the fish when it is done.
IMG_0013.jpg

Put the fish in the warm bowl and cover with foil while you heat the tortillas, and keep the fish covered while you are eating.
IMG_0014.jpg

To build a taco, place a warm tortilla on a plate. Smear some chipotle cream sauce on the tortilla, then add some fish and cilantro. Top with the chipotle slaw.
IMG_0020.jpg

Yummy! Enjoy!
IMG_0023.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Saiko, those look real tasty. I never tried chopping the fish, that seems like an idea worth trying.

Oh my gosh! I'd swim through shark infested waters for some of those.

looks mighty fine, Saiko! I got some walleye that is just dying to be in that recipe!!

Very nice Saiko, those look real tasty. I never tried chopping the fish, that seems like an idea worth trying.

The fish and marinade recipe is tweaked from another recipe I found on the web for a different version of fish tacos that didn't have chipotle cream sauce or slaw, but I liked the flavor of pineapple in the marinade. It called for you to cube raw fish, then cook it in a non-stick pan.

It tasted good, but the high acidity of the marinade almost turns the fish into a ceviche, and starts turning very white. Makes for good flavor, but looked boring. I came up with the idea of grilling the fillets whole and then chopping to add a little color and extra flavor to the fish and have been happy with the results. If you used an extra firm fish like Mahi you could probably just cut the fillets into strips instead of chopping it.

The slaw recipe I stole from an Emeril recipe on fried fish tacos, but I reduced the mayo because I like it crunchier. Honestly I forgot where I stole the chipotle cream sauce recipe.

I am drinking Rogue Yellow Snow as I type, Good Stuff!!!!!! My wife says it tastes like ear wax........ All of the Rogue beers are money!!!

Oh the tacos look good too!!!

what does ear wax taste like....lol

IPA (India Pale Ale) is an acquired taste due to the intense hop flavor and bitterness. I have a friend that is a true beer connoisseur and he hates IPAs. Personally, I'm a hophead and I love them.

Back