What do you place your meat in for brining?

This isn't a topic about how to brine, or what brine to use but a topic of what do you put your meat in when you brine? And what not to place your meat in when you brine?

Before I used an aluminum bucket that would be use to hold champagne or beer on ice. Would this be ok to us for future brines?

I go to the bakery at the grocery store and ask for a bucket that had icing in it. They usually have some smaller buckets that had colored icing in it (2 or 3 gallon) that I use for smaller things or 5 gallon that I use for larger things. You know the buckets are food safe and all you have to do is clean them out and htey are ready to go.

For last years turkey at Thanksgiving, I used a 5 gallon bucket, however ziplock makes HUGE bags.. They are called Ziplock big bags lol. I used the 10 gallon size. I don't remember how much they were, not much. I put the turkey and brine in the bag and then set it in the bucket. Set the bucket inside of a cooler and filled it full of ice. I put the bag in a bucket in a cooler just in case it leaked. For chickens etc, we have a big stainless cooking pot. Just wanted to throw the big bag out there in case you had never seen them for a liner....

^^ Several good points mentioned. I wouldn't use any metal or garbage bags. In a pinch the cooler thing works. We use the rubber maids or food grade 5 gall buckets depending

My wife works in a commercial kitchen and she got me this one that hard boiled eggs came in....2gallons it is and most everything I want to brine has fit in it....it was free, too!!

7e51a0ecfaa0353c74571e34653fde4a_zps8ed629cc.jpg
[/IMG]

I have 3 and 5 gallon Cambro food buckets with lids. Also, 5 gal pickle or other food buckets would work. Non-reactive is the key - and that usually means stainless, plastic, or glass. Haven't seen many glass buckets!! :mrgreen: The flat/rectangular food service totes with lids would be great, too. Used to use them at the restaurant.

If its small like a whole chicken, I like to use an empty 3 lb plastic coffee can. It holds a chicken just fine.

Another fan of ice chest. Gotta have a good lid on it to keep them nosey dogs out.

I use the Igloo round orange cooler but you can also use a canning pot, the large multicolor gray pot. It's coated in glass but they call it enamel. It's powdered glass melted onto the metal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Small pieces of meat, a glass or plastic container.
Larger pieces, a stainless steel pot. I have a 5 gallon pot that a 20+ pound turkey fits in.

Depending on the size or amount of meat I'll use:
1) One gallon or two gallon ziplock freezer bags.
2) Five gallon plastic bucket.
3) Ice chest cooler.

plastic bag. My favorite is the Hefty 2.5 gallon bags. I can only find them at BJ's. They can fit butts and briskets no prob. I've never needed a bucket but would use a home depot 5 gal bucket if necessary. Some guy came around at a comp with a special brining bucket that he invented that had a screw down lid to keep meats submerged. It was like $20. I threw the card away. HD bucket wins if I need it.

Anytime using salt or an acid based solution, you should always use a NON_REACTIVE container. This would include Aluminum and cast iron.

Stainless, Glass, and Food Safe Plastic are fine.

I use Stainless Steam Table Pans Full or Half with a food liner for small cooks, or meat lugs with liners for larger cooks. The food safe liners make clean-up a breeze. They stack easy and can be stored easy as well.

Half Size pans

Pan Liners

Meat Lugs and Liners

I finally broke down and purchased a true turkey briner last year. Great design with a locking plate that keeps your meat down low in the brine.

I use gallon zip locks, but thats because I don't have much else that'd fit in the fridge. But we are replacing the fridge and the old one becomes MY fridge. So I plan on using food grade 5 gallon buckets, and maybe a smaller one.

Back