pork picnic skin ? lard ?

Twisted T's Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
alright fellas I have a quite a few of pork picnic skins , can u get some lard off of them ? and if so how ? or are they just good for cracklings and how should I go about making cracklings from them ?

Some people deep fry them. No idea about how to get lard.

I like to season them up after cutting them into 1 inch squares and then throw them on the smoker for awhile until I am hungry. Then I eat them. Better than bacon IMO. It's my secret as there is never a lot of pig skin around to eat. :)

Here's how Alton Brown does it:

Ingredients
1 pound pork fat, fatback, pork scraps or other unsmoked, uncured pork pieces
1/3 cup water

Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Cut the fatback into 1/4-inch cubes and put it into a 6 to 8 quart Dutch oven. Add the water. Put in the oven, uncovered and stir every 30 to 40 minutes, pressing the pieces against the pan in order to help them melt. Cook until the fat has melted, the water has evaporated and the pieces begin to brown slightly, approximately 3 to 4 hours. Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a heatproof container and allow the fat to cool completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator.

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2010

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/rendered-lard-recipe.html?oc=linkback

And here's a comment from the same post:

GeoHvl, 964 days ago

There is another way to render pork lard with very good cracklins. Using a pound or 2 of pork fat with skin remove all but about ½ to ¾ of an inch of the fat. Cut skin into inch long pieces then trim those to 2 inch pieces. In a very heavy pot or a cast iron Dutch oven heat all the fat and the skin pieces do not heat above 325 while rendering. The skins will turn into themselves and turn a very lovely golden brown at that time remove the cracklins and cook the fat until completely rendered to lard. The entire process should only take about 2.5 to 3 hours and must be watched at all times.

Iv'e rendered lard when we use to butcher our own pigs. I used the trimmings from every part of the pig. Few cups of water in a big stainless stock pot and in they go as i trimmed. Pulled the cracklins when they were rich brown, let them cool a little to crisp and eat em up.

So I would say yes, you can render them.

Back