MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #9796
Meteor
Found some matches.

Default First butt came out like prime rib??

So I smoked my first butt on the UDS today for about 8.5 hours, my Maverick showed the temp spiked up to about 260 at the highest, and about 219 at the lowest, most of the time cruising around 235. Oddly enough, the meat stalled out at about 187, and actually dropped down to 176 at about 6.5 hours where it stayed for a while before climbing back up.

I took it off when the butt reached 191 and let it rest for about an hour, but when I went to pull the bone, it was stuck firm! I tried to pull it apart, and it wasn't possible - it was more like prime rib than pulled pork! I could slice it, but not pull it. I thought it would be falling apart. The UDS seemed to prerform well, I'm sure it was something I did. As a noob, I'm not sure where I went wrong - can any of you experienced UDSers impart some knowledge?
Meteor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #9797
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Probably had nothing to do with the UDS. Sounds like it performed flawlessly. My thoughts are you pulled the butt too soon. The magic for me is to pull between 200 and 205 degrees , wrap in foil and let it sit in a cooler for at least an hour.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #9798
bholtzinger
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
Probably had nothing to do with the UDS. Sounds like it performed flawlessly. My thoughts are you pulled the butt too soon. The magic for me is to pull between 200 and 205 degrees , wrap in foil and let it sit in a cooler for at least an hour.

200-205 for me too.
bholtzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #9799
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

Too soon. I start probing for butter probe feel at 195, usually it's about 202-205 when I pull mine. I think you just pulled her too early.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #9800
Meteor
Found some matches.

Thanks guys. I figured it was me. Live and learn. I only had to adjust the uds about twice. It held temp perfectly. I can't wait until my experience catches up with the performance of the uds!

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #9801
Rmhardie
Found some matches.

Default Turkey fryer basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
yes, it is standing off the bottom. It does two things for you. One, lets air circulate through the basket, and two gives the ash a place to fall too, instead of gathering around the coals.

And there is no issue using a cut down turkey fryer backet for the coal basket. They dont have to be pretty, just functional. I prefer something with more/larger holes because I want as much ash to fall as possible.
If I use a fryer basket as a charcoal basket, will aluminum work, or does it have to be stainless?
Rmhardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #9802
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhardie View Post
If I use a fryer basket as a charcoal basket, will aluminum work, or does it have to be stainless?
Hi. There is no rule that says it must be stainless steel. In fact I almost never heard of that. Regular steel most of the time. (not treated to be stainless). But Aluminum I think would be totally fine; it conducts heat very well though (much better than steel) so just don't touch it. :)

Based on how thin it is, eventually it may wear down and break. So at that point you make another one. I just use some thin screen and wrap it to make a wide circle. Been using that for almost 2 years now.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #9803
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
Thanks guys. I figured it was me. Live and learn. I only had to adjust the uds about twice. It held temp perfectly. I can't wait until my experience catches up with the performance of the uds!
I've done lots and lots of pork shoulder butts. The most important thing is to double the expected time. So plan on like 12 hours if you think your piece might take 6. I've had some pieces take like 16 hours to get there. Depends on size and density of the piece you have. And the nice thing about pulled pork is that after it's sitting around for a few hours, you just keep it warm or reheat it and it's still going to taste really good.

Don't need to wrap it, but if you do it will be really really soft. I did that once it was almost soupy which I wasn't thrilled with, but many people loved it.

It is more important to let it run low and slow and high to rush for a planned eating. However, pork is also one of the most forgiving. Many times I messed up and it was not cooking fast enough (I started it too late over night) and each time I was able to fix it and have it still come out great. Some ways I did that:

- one time I cut it all up with butcher knife and removed the bone. Then put into crockpot. I was doing this in the AM before going to work as it was for a work lunch. At work it was left in the crockpot on LOW or HIGH depending on how much I thought it would need. By the time it was time to eat it was perfect.
- Another few times when the smoker didn't do what it was supposed to do (unexpected weather issues) I put it in the oven and hit it at like 350 for an hour or so.. temp and time adjusted based on when I needed it. Then I ripped it up and it was great.

Pork shoulder butt does not need to rest. In fact, what I do from a tip down south, is rip it apart right away and add a touch of apple cider vinegar and some brown sugar and mix it all up. As it sits in the vinegar is breaks down some more. This works so well and tastes so good.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #9804
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Hi. There is no rule that says it must be stainless steel. In fact I almost never heard of that. Regular steel most of the time. (not treated to be stainless). But Aluminum I think would be totally fine; it conducts heat very well though (much better than steel) so just don't touch it. :)

Based on how thin it is, eventually it may wear down and break. So at that point you make another one. I just use some thin screen and wrap it to make a wide circle. Been using that for almost 2 years now.
I would not be surprised to see aluminum melt or at least lose shape, it melts at 1220 but gets soft at a LOT lower temp. I have used aluminium sauce pans on a hotplate to melt lead and they quickly get a bulge in the middle of the heating coil, and the temp should be 600f or so.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #9805
Meteor
Found some matches.

Thanks for the tips! I put it in the oven and was able to finish it up, and it was fantastic - we tore into it like starving vultures. Good to know the smoke times can vary that widely and that it wasn't a UDS issue.

Can't wait to continue practicing - especially when you get to eat the results and they are amazing, regardless of whether everything goes as expected.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #9806
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

I have not tried it, but was thinking this morning that a tamale cooker might make a good basket. A few holes around the side near the bottom would pass air into the basket. Tamale cookers have a steamer built in. The holes in the steamer tray (which is about 3" from the bottom) would be enough for the fire, but I would probably want to enlarge them to drop ash better into the bottom of the cooker.

It would be an experiment to see if the cooker could radiate heat quickly enough to prevent softening - but as people are already using them for Smokie Joe mini-uds pits, I bet it would work. It would be a self contained ash pan/fire box unit - and probably not all that more expensive than expanded metal would cost.

That said, since I am already planning on making a mini-uds, might try to make something that works for both.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #9807
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Big Blue Smoker

Being from KY and home of the 2012 National Champs Kentucky Wildcats I am going with a UK theme. I have to add a few small bling details this week but for now she is done.

Had issues with some tape bleed but other than that not too bad. The side diamond plate table is made to rotate down out of the way when not in use. But that sucker is bright on a shiny day!!!

I posted some pics in the gallery thread too but wanted to add a couple here.

Last edited by coachmccoy543; 10-07-2013 at 11:55 AM..
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #9808
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Big Blue Smoker

One more pic. Sorry

Last edited by coachmccoy543; 10-07-2013 at 11:55 AM..
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #9809
BikerBryansBBQ
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Griz

Starting my Build!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #9810
cwa7110
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Big daddy

Here is the beast 85 gallon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image05112012183212.jpg (51.5 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg Image05182012190019.jpg (52.1 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpg Image05182012190030.jpg (36.4 KB, 690 views)
File Type: jpg Image07042012095419.jpg (72.5 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg Image07042012095524.jpg (65.0 KB, 691 views)
cwa7110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker