MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
e_tietze
Found some matches.

Default Slicing Ribs While Cooking

I was watching Best in Smoke the other day and saw Brad slice his ribs part way through the cooking process. Has anyone else done this? If so, during the 3-2-1 method would you slice before going in the foil? I'm assuming this is done to give more surface area for flavors to get on the ribs.
e_tietze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

I saw and wondered the same thing. You would need a good knife to cut them after the foiling, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting slice ribs in foil. You would have to practice the timing as I think having cut ribs in foil would speed up the cooking process.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Jamber
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Didn't see B.I.S. but he was on diners drive ins and dives and if I recall he puts a slit between every few bones to add flavor. And at his restaurant The Shed they cook fall of the bone ribs, you pick up a bone and you get nothing but bone. Not my style!
Jamber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
e_tietze
Found some matches.

I'd agree on fall-off-the bone. I like a tender rib, but have always preferred just a little pull between meat and bone when biting into the rib.

I hadn't seen or heard anyone slice them before, so I was curious. Does 3-2-1 produce over-tender ribs? I haven't tried it before. Have always traditionally just done a straight dry rub over a light mustard coat, and then just smoked till they're finished on the grates.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
GEORGIA BULLHAWGS
On the road to being a farker

If you do a full 3-2-1 rib, it will be fall of the bone. I played with that for a while, and was at something like 2-30min-30min and they were usually done to the degree in which i like them.
GEORGIA BULLHAWGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

If you are cutting up your racks while cooking purely to add flavor, I think you could be doing something wrong if that is needed.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
Didn't see B.I.S. but he was on diners drive ins and dives and if I recall he puts a slit between every few bones to add flavor. And at his restaurant The Shed they cook fall of the bone ribs, you pick up a bone and you get nothing but bone. Not my style!
Yep. Not my style either. I don't like mushy rib meat. And to get them to fall off the bone like that the meat has to be cooked to that point.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have been to The Shed. They do not serve ribs. They serve pulled pork with rib bones in it.

Might as well be at least.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
e_tietze
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
If you are cutting up your racks while cooking purely to add flavor, I think you could be doing something wrong if that is needed.
I've never cut them or done 3-2-1, just always curious if there is a better way with anything I smoke.

I generally just do a long, slow smoke right on the rack. Seems to work pretty well. Have gotten good remarks on my ribs as is, but I love to experiment.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Jamber
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've never been but from what I saw on triple D he does his own thing... far from traditional Q. To each their own, and he's successful. Which is why I was surprised to see him on the show but it is food network.
Jamber is offline   Reply With Quote