• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The "Why I love BBQ" appreciation thread.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I love BBQ because there's nothing like the smells of the wood and lump charcoal burning. There's nothing like being able to make limitless types of rubs and sauces to accompany. There's nothing like the community and "family" BBQ'n brings. There's nothing like bringing those rack of ribs inside from the pit and within seconds the house is filled with that wonderful smell of smoked meat. The tastes that bbq imparts is one of the most unique out there. I LOVE BBQ!!!!! :clap2:

I love Q because putting in all the time a work really pays off. It is food that is unique and tase great. I like building a fire, i like smelling like smoke, i like that the neighbor always wants a taste!

My favorite aspect of BBQ is taking an inexpensive cut of meat and making it into something that everyone can't get enough of. Spares, pork shoulder, beef chuck, meatloaf, chicken (whole, thighs, drummies, leg quarters, wings), turkey, venison etc...
As others mentioned you then get to create magic with rubs, wood, sauces among other variables. I love cooking for small parties. I am a die-hard kettle cook. It is a good time to get guests who only "grill" rubbery chicken breasts on a shiny gasser. They bite into a properly smoked and sauced thigh and go "Oh my god!" Then they say something like , "My dad used to have an old weber and he'd burn hot dogs and burgers on it every 4th of July. I didn't know that you could do that on a kettle.

In this world of fast food and chain restaurants that taste like fast food, BBQ is the ultimate Slow food. It just makes you slow down and enjoy life.

I love BBQ because it's a mixture of everything that's great in life ... beer, fire, food, and having friends and family over to enjoy it.

We prepare this food and eat this food because we think it's yummy. So over the tongue and down the throat to party in my belly.

Last edited:
So many reasons.
- using low-tech to slow things down in a fast paced, high-tech world.
- the pride of taking something inedible, and turning into smokey tender goodness
- Building a fire
- bringing family together
- meeting new and often great people

I love the process. Planning out my cook days ahead sometimes distracts me from my real job. I love experimenting with different rubs, woods, techniques. I love the history of BBQ. I love that you can usually tell a good BBQ joint by how run down it looks. I love its primalness (if that's a word) - one man (or woman), a hunk of meat, and a fire. There is nothing I love more than spending an entire Saturday tending a fire and smelling the smoke. It almost makes you think that life is pretty simple.

Another thing that I've noticed recently that I really like about BBQ is the community. I'm new to BBQ and was fully expecting to have to figure it all out myself, but to other BBQ'ers I've talked to have all been so welcoming and willing to give advice when asked. I really appreciate the knowledge I've gained from this website like this.

- Chicks dig it
- Any reason to drink another beer is a good reason
- Must go to Bass Pro Shops to get new/more stuff; any reason to go is a good reason
- Make new friends
- The smell, about 2 to 3 hours before it's completely done
- How many other hobbies to you get to eat the results?
- triathlon-brethren? I dont think so.

I just love making good food on the pit. I think it's almost primal too. Cooking good food over fire is some caveman action. Except these days we get the benefits of not having to go out and do the kill ourselves AND we get to drink stupid amounts of beer for hours on end while doing it. :biggrin1:

I love BBQ because the look on everyone's face who eats it is priceless to me

It's fun to cook it, and fun to see the look on people's faces when they eat it. That brings me more pleasure than eating it myself. The kids are starting to help more too, so that has also been pretty fun. :thumb:

I love BBQ because it allows me to cook and share what I've learned with friends and neighbors. Swilling beer and playing with fire are also very important to me. :laugh:

I love BBQ because of the family and friends time spent together. I love the look on people's faces when they take a bite of real, slow cooked food over an open flame. People used to call me crazy because I'd burn down oak splits in a charcoal grill then cook steaks over those but there's just something about cooking over a wood fired pit. I used to split and stack firewood just for cooking. For a while, we didn't spend a dime on charcoal nor starter fluid.

I think I can speak for all of us fellow brethren that a feeling of accomplishment takes us over when someone says, "Wow, you cooked that?"

I like to barbecue because it tastes so good and is cheap (when I pay attention for meat sales, cook it in quantity and freeze it in vacuum seal bags). I like grilling and barbecuing because I can also impress people with my cooking skills. I also like to cook and entertain outdoors because it is compelling when the weather is warm.

Having a reason to drink lots of beer with friends is also a good thing.

something to do with the combination of the great food, playing with fire and attracting every fly in a 5 mile radius of my smoker.

I also love BBQ because it steered me to THIS PLACE!!:thumb:

Back