Chicken Tandoori on the BGE

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have some chicken marinating right now. With everything I have read I am going to cook it hot and fast - the marinade (yogurt based) is supposed to protect the chicken from 500-600 temp. If anyone has cooked this before did you use a place setter with legs up or just directly over the coals? Thanks

Can't help you there, but I'm sure looking forward to the pictures.

Can't help you there, but I'm sure looking forward to the pictures.

The pics will be interesting - the recipe calls for red food coloring. I figured we had some, but it turns out the girls picked neon colors with no red. I combined Neon Pink and Neon Purple - I can't wait to see how it looks.

My understanding is that "tandoor" is a clay oven in which the chicken is cooked at very high temperatures in the 700 degree range.

In that case I would think indirect with the plate setter would be the way to go.

Although not the same thing, I have cooked a whole 4lb chicken at 500 degrees on my MBGE with the plate setter legs down and the chicken on a trivet on the plate setter. I had iced the breast for about 40 minutes beforehand. The bird was done perfectly in one hour. The skin was bite-through and even the breast meat was exceptionally juicy.

I have wanted to try tandoori and am very interested in your cook. Please take a lot of pictures.

Last edited:
Well I would call this more of a learning session than anything. The fire never got hot - it stormed here last night. Even though the cooker was under cover, I guess the lump got wet. It was hard to light even though I added some fresh. I had two previous cooks and had no probelm getting her hot - I guess I did not have enough lump or it was wet. Anyway - the flavor was good, but the tenderness, texture had a lot to be desired - the outside cooked a lot faster than the inside. Live and learn.
I did not have any red food coloring, but my girls had Neon pink and Neon purple I mixed. :unsure:
tandoori003.jpg

tandoori005.jpg

tandoori006.jpg

tandoori008.jpg

tandoori009.jpg

I tried tandoori chicken indirect on my BGE. It didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I'm going to try direct on a raised grid (trying to get some distance from the charcoal) next time. I'm also going to marinade longer next time. First time was 8 hours. I've read that not marinading long enough is a common mistake.

Scott

I think I would cook it indirect 400* dome, platesetter legs up with a drip pan for 45-60 minutes. Its been a while since I've used any Tandoori marinade, but anytime I grilled it would burn.

There is an interesting article worth reading on Wikipedia on the tandoor, part of which says:

"A tandoor is a cylindrical clay oven used in Transcaucasus, the Balkans, the Middle East, Central Asia, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, in which food is cooked over a hot charcoal fire. Temperatures in a tandoor can approach 480°C (900°F), and it is common for tandoor ovens to remain lit for long periods of time to maintain the high cooking temperature. The tandoor design is something of a transitional form between a makeshift earth oven and the horizontal-plan masonry oven, and is used almost exclusively for live-fire, radiant heat cooking."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoori

There is also link there to a site which shows how to build a UDT (Ugly Drum Tandoor)

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/3012/page2.htm

Back