MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #31
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
If an organizer bought into the concept of a BOBBQB event, would the KCBS buy into having onsite judging for the four main catagories if the Organizer wanted KCBS sanctioning also?
KCBS would not sanction as a BBQ event under the normal guise, but I believe it can be done under one of KCBS's other series tags(I think it may be called competitor series)

or the onsite judging can be a grilling contest on the first day coupled with a sanctioned BBQ event on the second. Just like we did at BotB 09.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #32
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
If an organizer bought into the concept of a BOBBQB event, would the KCBS buy into having onsite judging for the four main catagories if the Organizer wanted KCBS sanctioning also?

That's an interesting question. I had meant for grilling, but all four categories would be sort of cool.

I should have been more clear, but it opened up an interesting concept.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #33
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Eric, you will have to define that phrase for us Polocks
FYI,

Raison d'être is a French phrase meaning "reason for existence."

(BTW, didn't have to look it up, took 2 years of French back in reform school)
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Last edited by Westexbbq; 09-08-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westexbbq View Post
FYI,

As opposed to "raisin's from your derriere."
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #35
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i thought it was some form of string cheese.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

If all of the awards had "In My Pants' at the end of them... then I'm in!

1st Place Chicken... in my pants.
1st Place Ribs... in my pants.
1st Place Pork... in my pants.
1st Place Brisket... in my pants.
1st Place sausage... well, you get the picture.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #37
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
If all of the awards had "In My Pants' at the end of them... then I'm in!

1st Place Chicken... in my pants.
1st Place Ribs... in my pants.
1st Place Pork... in my pants.
1st Place Brisket... in my pants.
1st Place sausage... well, you get the picture.
Just change the name of your team to "In My Pants" then make sure to win every category.

And the grand champion of Battle of the BBQ Brethren Guam is "In My Pants".
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #38
leanza
Babbling Farker

It may be time.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #39
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

I think it would be cool to pair up a pro team with a backyard team, and the pair with the highest combined score would get bonus $$$. That would ensure plenty of knowledge sharing from the pro teams.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #40
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westexbbq View Post
FYI,

Thanks Wes. Couldn't be bothered to look it up.

I think the idea of a BOTB sanctioning body has merit but must be well thought out. A set of rules should be drawn up to closely mimic those in use today by the majority of BBQ societies. Any serious deviation from that might hurt the credibility of a growing sanctioning body. Not that I have any reason to believe that someone would try to discredit it there is always the chance. I think proper planning is the utmost of priorities. A template for the sanctioning body to show the people involved so that people here can offer input. To make it bulletproof I think little deviation from the normal expectation would entice established contests to adopt it as well. I just have a fear that some would try to revamp the rules or normal course of the event to create a serious change in expectation. People hate change and will be less receptive if asked to make a lot.

I think the fact that there always seems to be a charity or cause that the BOTB support makes them something you'd like to be a part of. Maybe the entry fees are linked with a possible donation or the charity/cause announced early so people could get donations from family friends and local businesses. Possibly use that money to pay for a peoples choice or food bank donation. The events do a lot now but with some extra effort money could be raised by the competitors earlier and made available for event time. Possibly make the entry fee the donation so friends and family could write off the sponsorship of a team. Then ask local business to support the prize pool. Gotta be a way to give them a write off too.

What is truly necessary IMO is diligent organization. When you are trying to break into the big game you need your ducks in a row or you will be the rival sanctioning bodies biggest advertisement. Just look at many products out there that have imitators(new Coke anyone). Worst of all flying in the face of KCBS with a new sanctioning body that isn't regional is like MCI taking on Ma Bell at best and like Hunts catsup taking on Heinz Ketchup at worst. It is a daunting task and not without pitfalls and probable monetary cost. This isn't something that would just fall in place and shouldn't be treated as such (not that I am saying it will be). Everything from - garnering local support and sponsorship
- competitor and public friendly venues
- a force to support the vital systems such as power and sanitation
- a proven punchlist of what how when and where to do things
- a oversight into the minutia that some overlook.

To do this you need a local group of volunteers to hit the ground months before the contest even is announced. A local cause will definitely bring in more interest from local businesses especially those that cater to the whole populace like eateries and general markets. Local BBQ supply places can offer merchandise much easier then dipping in their pocket.

Competitor and public friendly is a real key too. Especially if you are bringing it to a locale where you are IT on that specific weekend. If it weren't for your contest they would be shootin' holes in street signs (NTTAWWT). If you can offer a peoples choice event or better yet a give back idea like a "Down home BBQ". Help the charity recruit volunteers to do BBQ side dishes. The competitors could cook ribs and chicken and the town folk could sit down to an afternoon BBQ. People are going to come to BBQ competitions if they can eat BBQ. I know many who hate the attitude of some competitors who can't be bothered to be nice when telling how they aren't allowed to give out food. Yeah it stinks to be asked but thats why they came down. Maybe a way to make that clear to the public before they are disappointed on turn in day.

It should require a boilerplate for support expectation such as electricians for initial set up and support throughout the event especially during peak times. Water should have the same support, possible redundancies and etc. Sanitation is always hit or miss at a contest so possibly tracking attendance estimates with sanitation complaints to gear for the right ratio of toilets to people. Does anyone know how they do attendance estimates?

All the above could fall onto a punchlist to help the organizational staff cross the t's and dot the i's. This is an area that I think the different organizers on this board could hash out. We've all seen the good the bad and the ugly contest so I am sure that info from each organizers "need to do" list could be used to make something "better" then whats out there.

last but not least you need the attention to detail. No one wants to sweat the small stuff but thats exactly what should be done. You've got 3 outlets for each team on invidual trees yet you wire can't carry the load. Two water connections with 45 pounds of pressure and the end of the line but the transfers are low volume hose so they kep breaking under the pressure. You get a local artisan to fabricate 65 hand crafted works of art for trophies but spells it chiken or carves the wrong date. Unfortunately all the minutia is what is seen and the greatest of efforts can be dismantled by the smallest thing.

I think this community can move mountains if asked. If everyone that wants to be can feel involved in it then the support would follow.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #41
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Very well written skip.. NICE JOB. but did u get a headache from writting it LOLOLO
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #42
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy View Post
Very well written skip.. NICE JOB. but did u get a headache from writting it LOLOLO
Did he smell it when composing it?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #43
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

It smelled funny.

FBA would be a good idea. Possible their sanctioning body could sponsor a BOTB Series of events across the nation. They have a fine name, an established set of rules and good people who cook at the top. From what I have seen heard and read about FBA they are nothing but above board. They have a great judge training and rating system as well. Wash and wear infastructure. lol

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #44
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I've been thinking about this for the past few hours, and I really only see one of two directions here: 1) Competitions just for Brethren, or 2) Contests for every one with Brethren as a new sanctioning body. I'm not sure what a "Battle of the BBQ Brethren" event that is KCBS or FBA and open to non-brethren buys. Am I missing something? I think that either of the above two is an intriguing idea, but if it's not one of those...what's the point?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #45
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I've been thinking about this for the past few hours, and I really only see one of two directions here: 1) Competitions just for Brethren, or 2) Contests for every one with Brethren as a new sanctioning body. I'm not sure what a "Battle of the BBQ Brethren" event that is KCBS or FBA and open to non-brethren buys. Am I missing something? I think that either of the above two is an intriguing idea, but if it's not one of those...what's the point?

dmp
Thats exactly what Im thinking
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote