Silicone Smoke Seal Gasketing

mattweber

Reaction score
Building my first UDS and found that my Weber lid does not fit well. I bent out the edge of the lid to make it fit. However, I notice that there is not a great seal now. I was thinking of placing this (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=73604-81-68668&bc=c) around the bent edge to seal it up. Will this work? Do you see any issues using this? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Matt Weber

Matt Weber.

Ask your Dad to fab you a larger lid!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is the drum true? Has the lid been tweaked as in dropped?
Take the lid to your drum guy and find a drum that fits.
The gasket will work but it is a bit of a PIA, ugly too.
Wait for the smart guys to chime in, I'm stupid.:biggrin:

Weiser

Building my first UDS and found that my Weber lid does not fit well. I bent out the edge of the lid to make it fit. However, I notice that there is not a great seal now. I was thinking of placing this (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=73604-81-68668&bc=c) around the bent edge to seal it up. Will this work? Do you see any issues using this? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Matt Weber

Ha, I don't think I have ever heard a Weber joke before! :wink:

I believe the drum is fine, however I am not so sure about the lid. I pulled it from a used grill I bought for $20 on craigslist. The grill looks a few years old, so it is possible it has been dropped.

I don't want to take the drum back just to find one that fits better, I had to drive pretty far to get it, plus, I am not sure they will let me swap it out. Assuming the gasket will work (not melt, give off bad fumes, etc), I think I will use it. Looks don't really matter to me, that is why they call it an Ugly Drum Smoker correct?

Thanks,
Matt Weber

The weather stripping will work. At least it is safe to use according to the detailed info.

From a practical standpoint, I belive that after you use it a couple of times it will become so gunked up that you will not want to use it. I believe that you will have sticking issues with it.

I use folded tin foil strips to drape over my drun in order to get a tight seal. I have to repace it with new foil on almost every cook. It just gets to sticky from the humidity.

I wouldn't worry about the lid leaking a little provided you have temp control. Get it to seal this time and it won't the next. Grase/grime will fill the voids in time.

If you can, post some pics of how it lines up... A little tweeking may help, or...some of the guys on here might have a helpful suggestion...

I agree thw weatherstrip will work a couple times but will probably glue the lid to the drum after time.
Do you have the kettle the lid came from? The best thing to do is cut the lip from the kettle and install it inside the drum.

Attachments

• New VDS 003.jpg
    New VDS 003.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 116
No need for silly silicone my friend, use a Drum Clamp!

After you bent the edge out of the lid, place it as straight as you can on the drum and use a Rubber Mallet to form a better seal.

I dont have to use the clamp, but do so just in case my 4 year old gets curious.

Attachments

• DSC04917.JPG
    DSC04917.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for the input guys! Looks like I will stay away from that silicone seal. I think I will just use the flat lid and clamp until I feel like I need a to add a 2nd grill. Once I do that I think I will use the Weber lid with a clamp like hav suggested.

Thanks again!

Matt Weber

Back