MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Default Water pan or just a drip pan for brisket

This may be one of those questions that doesn't have an answer but when cooking a brisket do you guys use a dry drip pan or one with water in it or nothing at all?
jimithing78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I always use a water pan....especially if cooking at lower temps. The idea is it's a heat sink that helps stabilize temps.

Of course, I'm cooking on a water smoker. WSM's and ECB's are water-type smokers.

The pros on here who use offsets or UDS's will likely tell you that they don't ever use water.

Think it just depends on what you're cookin on.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
andy_christy
Knows what a fatty is.

If you use a drip pan only you can make the drippings into an au jus. If you put water in the pan some believe it moistens & others believe it does nothing. The main thing is to experiment & do it the way you think is right.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
This may be one of those questions that doesn't have an answer but when cooking a brisket do you guys use a dry drip pan or one with water in it or nothing at all?
What kind of smoker?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
What kind of smoker?

it's an offset - similar to a New Braunfels
jimithing78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Jorge

I like the water pan, especially if you are going to be opening and closing the door.

You will burn some extra fuel to keep the temp where you want it, but you will also have some hot water in there to help your temps rebound if you open the door to baste, mop, etc....

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
chambersuac

I agree with Jorge - of course it sounds dangerous NOT too :)

I use a water pan with apple juice and rub mixed in - I've used red wine in my water smoker pan, too - that was a really good brisket...
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm lazy and like an easy clean up, so I fill my water pan full of sand to act as a heat sink, then cover that with layer of heavy duty aluminum foil. I make sure I leave at least an inch or two from the top of the sand and the top of the water pan for drippings to collect. For clean up, I just throw the foil away and add another one. For briskets, I foil from the brisket from about 160 too 185 degrees, so I get all my drippings for the sauce from the foil.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
Rick's Tropical Delight

depends on what you are smoking on. no water required in a bge drip pan with plate setter. i put the drip pan on spacers made from the corners i cut off of a rectangular cast iron charbroil grid, four 1"x1"x1/4" pieces. works perfectly so the drippings are less likely to scorch.

other smokers will use the water pan as a heat sink/heat retention and moisture adding element.

edit. maybe i should read all the responses before replying

Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
WesternTrails
Found some matches.

I've used a pan of water on in the bottom of my offset for a very large brisket, and the meat turned out extremely moist and tender - a big plus, obviously. On the other hand, the extra moisture prevented good bark from forming. Overall, my rub became a kind of slimy layer that tasted good but did not look very appealing. My hunch was that the extra moisture somehow inhibited smoke absorption as well - with no water pan, I get great bark and a very nice smoke ring, but keeping the brisket moist is fussier. Maybe the smoke ring and bark issue was a fluke, but I'm off using a water pan now.
WesternTrails is offline   Reply With Quote