MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default WTF is up with Tri Tip these days?

I'm sorry, I think it's my fault. I been making this and it's so dam easy and soooo farking good I haven't been able to shut up about it. I'll screw my next one up, hopefully this cut will go back under the radar.

To be honest I think this is better then some of the cuts people have mentioned in this thread. I wud take it over a strip steak. Not a porterhouse, but a ribeye hands down. I just like it that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

If you actually paid a realistic fair price for your meat you wouldn't have to subsidise your farmers so much.
John

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Reminds me of flank steak. We used to get it cheaper than hamburger, and then Fajitas got popular and now it is as pricy as sirloin. Oh well, at least pork is dropping in price in my area. Pork fajitas anyone?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
hawkluvbeer
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I go to the butcher, and ask for it, and they look at me cross eyed? I'm not smart enough to explain it to them.
hawkluvbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
Aussiemeatman
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Just had Hodedo here in Oz and made my eyes water at how cheap your pork butts were. But we have you on this one. No one knows about tri tip here. Can get high choice trimmed for about $4/pound
Aussiemeatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #21
haven
Got Wood.

I think Bobby Flay had something to do with the popularity of it. He uses it quite often on his show "BBQ addict"
haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkluvbeer View Post
I go to the butcher, and ask for it, and they look at me cross eyed? I'm not smart enough to explain it to them.
Not sure if you can get them to watch a YouTube video but if you watch this video (starting at 9:05) it shows how to cut a Tri-Tip.

DerHusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I remember when I could get a rack of spares tor 1.50 and 5 Lb bag of wings for 2.50 If it makes you feel better subtract 43% form the price to get the tru cost since a yankee dollar is only worth 57 cents.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #24
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I've only seen one in my life here, and it was like $10 a lb. several years ago. That's why I've never tried it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
cds9333
Full Fledged Farker

From the university meat sales here, it is currently $7.19/#. A year and a half ago, it was $2.89/#.
cds9333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Thats a sharp knife.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: WTF is up with Tri Tip these days?

If there's a restaurant depot near you get it there in bulk. I got it in Alexandria, VA for 3.99 a pound for trimmed choice. Oh yeah, they were enormous too!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #28
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Re: WTF is up with Tri Tip these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
yea, all you out of ca state folks have ruined it for us.
now its near $6 for untrimmed at costco.
i used to buy it regularly but no longer.
Oh yeah well I have one thing to say to that "Louisiana Crawfish Tail Meat $20/lb"
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #29
Manimal
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I get it for 3.29lb all day long for Choice. our local Staters sells select for 5.99 trimmed or untrimmed.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

This forum may be partially to blame for the high price. There is a fair amount of tri-tip worship going on here.

I have never had tri-tip that I actually liked, but I'm guessing it is because I got it at big events in tri-tip country, so it probably wasn't choice meat, and wasn't cooked properly.

It is hard to find here, and pricey, so I haven't taken the plunge. I don't want to pay a bunch of money for "popular" food. My understanding is that proper tri-tip is really good working-class beef. That's what I want.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote