MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #46
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
You guys bitch that people don't even know about or participate in this part of the forum, then you turn every thread into Woodpile and shoot yourself in the foot.

Just sayin
You are right willkat98!

In an attempt to bring some semblance of sanity back to this TD, I submit true German Dance!

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
SPAMwurst
I can do that. lol

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #48
Allegry
Knows what a fatty is.

Grrr, need more notice than a week for this. Homemade sauerkraut takes longer than a week.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #49
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I want to thank CD for giving me a reason to order this.

[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #50
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
So this is the sausage fest in a large beer mug throwdown?

Nice.
Can I vote now? That and I think I've found the newest addition to my funeral party list.

1. Everyone must wear all white and eat BBQ.

2. Appetizers will be sausages served in mugs of beer served by fuzzy titted German chicks.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
caseydog

I consulted with my friend, Hans, and I now have my menu.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #52
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I consulted with my friend, Hans, and I now have my menu.

CD
Is this a preview of the meal?

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #53
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
You are right willkat98!

In an attempt to bring some semblance of sanity back to this TD, I submit true German Dance!

National Lampoon's European Vacation - German Festival - YouTube
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #54
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Is this a preview of the meal?

Ok,
I'm farkin laughing my arse off now!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #55
Allegry
Knows what a fatty is.

Mmmm, how I love fall. Football, sausages, oktoberfest beer, leaves changing color, an end to the relentless Texas summer....

Allow me to present my Oktoberfest entry - as traditional as it gets, with a slight twist on the presentation....

What follows below is a traditional weisswurst, bathed in beer and then grilled topped with a giant soft pretzel and sweet/hot homemade german-style mustard, surrounded by the the best sauerkraut I could get my hands on - and of course: served with a great Oktoberfest beer. I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I enjoyed eating it! Also: I don't know what shot to enter as my official photo, so someone else can pick it - just please pick one of the ones of a finished product :D

Pretzels rolled out

My favorite topping/finishing salt:

Pretzels, post alkaline bath. Slitted and salted:

Hot fresh pretzel anyone?

Brats taking a hot bath in some Oktoberfest beer:

On the grill and starting to look awfully tasty:

Plated and ready to eat!

Gratuitous pr0n:

The ever-popular fork shot (this shot shows the biggest problem I had: my yeast died and the pretzels ended up very dense):

And the conclusion to a satisfying meal:
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #56
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Nicely done, Allegry. I think the pretzel looks great and I like dense breads. The 'fork shot' is good in that it shows the sausage more clearly, but, I really like the 'gratuitous pron' shot best. I love the saurkraut on the sides and the mustard hatching, well, I like everything about that photo -- but the sausage is hidden. Tough call. Looks like it was delicious.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #57
Al Czervik

Talking Mongo's official Oktoberfest TD entry...

While it was very tempting to go with furry jugs, snags and beer, I figured there would be plenty of other whackadoodles going that route. In fact I can't wait to see Guerry striking a pose in his lederhosen, mashing his moobs together and chugging a stein of Dopplebock Dunkel (he can save the snag pics for Redhot )...

Since this is going to be my last solid food for a couple weeks, I decided to go with a "light" traditional German meal. Without further ado, I present Mongo's Sauerbraten with Kartoffelkloesse (German potato dumplings) and Blaukraut (German red cabbage).

First the ingredients for the Sauerbraten brine-

Second the ingredients for the potato dumplings and red cabbage-

And finally the bottom round I had picked up a while back and vacu-sucked for later-

Chopped up all the veggies, added the spices and liquids and brought the brine to a boil-

After boiling for about ten minutes and cooling for about half an hour, I submerged the roast in the brine.

I brined it for about three days, and then pulled it out and dried it off. This pic doesn't show it very well but it looked purple -

Coated it with oil and seared it for a couple minutes per side-

Once I was done searing, I put a small rack in the bottom of the tray and poured the brine back over it-

I smoked it with oak on the Traeger for about four hours total-

After this shot, I double foiled it and wrapped it in a towel for later-

Now here's where the photo documentation falls apart. If you've never made sauerbraten gravy, German potato dumplings and German red cabbage before (I hadn't) I would highly suggest GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HELP! I barely had enough time to pull it all together let alone take any pictures of the process... Suffice it to say it's a chit load of work. The good news is since I'm sure a lot of you could care less, the only picture I got was of the finished plate. This of course is the money shot.

I think I've only had sauerbraten once many moons ago so I have no real reference to gauge it against. I have never had the potato dumplings or red cabbage. I must say that I did enjoy sweet, sour and salty flavor profile of the sauerbraten and the gravy, and while the dumplings where pretty filling I also enjoyed them as well. The red cabbage was a little bland, but I'm sure the authentic version is much tastier. All in all, it was a good meal and I'm glad I gave it a roll.
(")_(")
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #58
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

ooooo, Sauerbraten ... that is one of my favorites!

... and Mongo did a fabulous job!

(but why does Mongo have to eat over the kitchen sink?)
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #59
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Seems like a good idea to me. Save money on napkins and stuff. Just wash up your hands and face right there, then dig back in!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #60
Al Czervik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
ooooo, Sauerbraten ... that is one of my favorites!

... and Mongo did a fabulous job!

Thanks Gore...

Mongo is messy eater and gets chit all over before finished with chow. Kitchen sink catches most of shrapnel...

Side benefit is best of awful kitchen lighting at night...
(")_(")