I need a meat slicer

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
Ok, I want a meat slicer. In the $100 range.

The threads discussing slicers are over a year old and was hoping there might be something new on the market.

I would prefer easy to clean somewhat over performance.

BTW, to head off any confusion, not an electric knife or manual knife. :)

jgh1204 said:
Ok, I want a meat slicer. In the $100 range.

The threads discussing slicers are over a year old and was hoping there might be something new on the market.

I would prefer easy to clean somewhat over performance.

BTW, to head off any confusion, not an electric knife or manual knife. :)

I still haven't found one that is easy to clean, but it's worth the hassle for us. If you do make the move up here you might want to see about picking up a commercial unit as they continue to close Albertson's locations. I'm told that a commercial Hobart slicer went for under $300 at auction a week or two ago.

The biggest pain for me has always been sharpening the blade on a home unit after a lot of use.

I got a Rival in the price range you are looking for. Clean-up is a total PITA- but it is still worth its weight in gold. Partially frozen prime rib sliced razor thin for Philly steaks. Pastrami or any other meat you might cook in bulk goes so much easier (and uniformly), that the clean up after is worth it. I have noticed after a lenghty run things start heating up a bit- so if you do massive amounts for the freezer, a higher end unit might be worth the $$. Other than that, I've been perfectly happy with it.

I bought the Calela's one when it was for sale for 49.00. For what I use it for it works great. Now with that being said if I had to use it more then twice a week I would spend alittle extra and get one that cleans up easier.

If you can wait and save your money for a Hobart, do that. They are easy to take apart and clean. There are sharpeners specially made for a Hobart. Also, there are shops and parts available for the slicer.

There are a couple of draw backs to them also. A Hobart is a large and heavy appliance that is not easy to move around.

I have been looking for a slicer also and have used the Hobart in a commercial kitchen. I really don't like the quality of "made for the home" slicers , but this is JMHO.

Jorge said:
...you might want to see about picking up a commercial unit as they continue to close Albertson's locations. I'm told that a commercial Hobart slicer went for under $300 at auction a week or two ago...
I've always wanted a BIG slicer, but the big problem with BIG slicers is where to store them. My wife isn't letting me keep it out on the counter, I don't think it's fitting too well under the counter, and I cannot see moving it in and out of wherever I'm storing it when I want to use it.

That being said, I'd love to have a BIG commercial slicer :smile:

I have a Cabela's slicer - the $300+ model. It works well and has a built-in blade sharpener that works good. It is not esy to clean up but I don't think any of them will be. You can take it apart (mostly) and that makes it easier but it is still a pain. I also don't like the way it "bunches" up the slices on the back side of the blade. Maybe they all do this but it is irritating, always having to grab the slice so it stays "neat".

RichardF said:
I've always wanted a BIG slicer, but the big problem with BIG slicers is where to store them. My wife isn't letting me keep it out on the counter, I don't think it's fitting too well under the counter, and I cannot see moving it in and out of wherever I'm storing it when I want to use it.

That being said, I'd love to have a BIG commercial slicer :smile:

And that, is what the rolling butcherblock is for:cool:

The top 3/8 of my right thumb can atest to the quality of the Hobert. i sliced the thing off on a commercial model when i was in high school and if it wasn't for the blood, I wouldn't have known it. So clean I didn't even feel it. Took 20 years for my fingerprints to grow back.

On topic, we have a Rival home use model and it works ok, but its blade rotates slow, its noisy and a PITA to clean up. No recommend here on small Rivals in the under 100 bucks range.

If you have a Kohl's, Bed Bath & Beyond, JCPenny, or Linen & Things, you can find a decent quality one for less than $100. They're not commercial quality by any means but they get the job done. My parents bought me one last year for my birthday and I think it was probably in the $70-100 price range. I can't rememebr. When I talk to them next I'll ask. I think it was a Cuisanart.

We have a Hobart and a Berkel. If you can save up or have the space they are the bomb. For the amoun t of home use though that is serious overkill. I have a ???? at home that works great unless I want to try to slice cheese. If you ever want to slice cheese a home version won't even think about it. I bust out the one at home rarely, but when I do I give it a workout. Especially right at the start of summer. We slice a mess of thin ribeyes for grilling and freeze in small packages for the whole swummer. While it is out and dirty we slice up pork loin for thin sliced chops for breakfast or whatever. I'll end up slicing a bunch of jerky meat as well as long as it is out.

I have a buddy that uses a hand crank slicer for jerky. He is completely happy with it the amount that he uses it.

Back