Chicken and Pork Question

tearl42

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings to all...

I was watching some TV (Food Network, Alton Brown) and he was doing a show on BBQ Chicken. So he made a comment that he likes to purchase the older hens vs this young yard birds (boilers). Has anyone done this? I'm just curious if you have noticed a difference.

Pork slices vs. Pull...

So I live up in Michigan and run the local circuit, but this year I'm thinking I'm going to travel a little more and test the waters. I saw the pics from the AR and noticed a few boxes with slices. Has anyone tried one vs the other and saw a difference in your scores? Was it strictly based on region?

Thanks!

Tom

Greetings to all...

I was watching some TV (Food Network, Alton Brown) and he was doing a show on BBQ Chicken. So he made a comment that he likes to purchase the older hens vs this young yard birds (boilers). Has anyone done this? I'm just curious if you have noticed a difference.

Pork slices vs. Pull...

So I live up in Michigan and run the local circuit, but this year I'm thinking I'm going to travel a little more and test the waters. I saw the pics from the AR and noticed a few boxes with slices. Has anyone tried one vs the other and saw a difference in your scores? Was it strictly based on region?

Thanks!

Tom
I've thought about buying my chickens farm raised and butchering them up myself because the prepackaged stuff from Tyson or whoever are just chopped to shreds. You can tell that whoever is doing it, doesn't give a hoot about appearance. I am also finding more and more pin feathers.
Just some more thoughts about chicken sourcing for you . . .

As a judge, I know that the discussion among the judges is that slices and pulled and chunks are good because you can tell better if a cook really knows how to cook pork if they can get all three right. But be careful - if you don't do chunks well, for instance, the chunks can pull your overall score down a notch if they stink - or raise it if they are excellent!

I judge mainly in Kansas / western Missouri so not sure about the region aspect of your question . . .

Hope this helps!

I have my local butcher pick through the chicken thighs for consistent size and good skin cover. I use Bell & Evans. Not sure if that brand means anything in Michigan, but it's air cooled as opposed to water cooled, which makes a difference in the texture. I also cook 24 pieces to get the best 6 for the box.

For pork, I try to put slices, chunks and pulled in the box. I cook 3 butts and pull off the one with the best looking money muscle a little early to slice.

Good luck, if you make it as far as the east coast, look me up.

As a CBJ on pork I really prefer sliced or chucked. If your pieces don't include any bark it's a good idea to put 6 small chunks that has some bark on it as well. I like to taste the tenderness from the slices and chunks, but also want to taste your bark. Pulled isn't bad, but if done right, but I found most pulled pork runs a bit on the mushy side.

Back